“On the Rhine”

Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Toronto, Canada
“On the Rhine”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were in Basel for 2 days and stayed at Best Western because we weren't going to be there very long and it was located on the Rhine! We were very pleasantly surprised. We had a fabulous breakfast included - a huge buffet, complete with local cheeses! and the hotel included free public transport passes, which we took advantage of and enjoyed seeing more of Basel. The room was small, but fine and it had a beautiful view of the Rhine!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have been staying in this Hotel for several times. It is very convinient to go to Art Basel. 10 minutes walk.We have a "Suite" on the second floor towards the street and it is very noisy. We can only sleep with earplugs.On the door it says "Suite" 480 Swiss Franks and we pay 1100.- Swiss Franks including breakfast.The service has improved over the years and we even have turn down service.There is a nice breakfast buffet and the restaurant, we have never tried it is on the water . The tram which is included in our room is in front of the Hotel.

Room Tip: they only have one suite towards the street the quieter rooms are towards the water but they are sma...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a nice hotel but they are not prepared about bug and flies situation in Basel due to the river. After arriving and arranging my room, went out for a city walk about 2 hours on my first day but when I returned to my room there was about 100 different bugs and flies in my room. I told the reception and he cleaned my room with anti-toxic bug wasp sprays(I hope it was anti-toxic as there was no english text on the bottle!) and vacuum cleaner. Honestly, they should have changed my room that night as this spoiled the whole thing. There is not also any air conditioning system in the building which is an issue, and there is no mesh screens or covers to prevent flies from coming to the rooms. It's quite disappointing as this place has a really good potential with its helpful staff, location and restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ooidsn
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights only while attending a conference in Basel. It is a small hotel, but cozy and with great service. The restaurant has a view on the river - unfortunately, it closes early, and the hotel does not have room service late at night. I guess I cannot blame it as this is how many things work (or do not) in Switzerland. Rooms are small but comfy, good sleep quality and very clean. The reception staff were happy to lend me some power adapters. The old town is just a short distance across the river, the tram stop is also very close. All in all, a pleasant experience despite having to go to sleep hungry one night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We arrived at Basel by air - took a bus into town and switched to a tram to the Hotel. It was very convenient. We arrived early - way before check in time. Happily the hotel had a room ready and we were able to shower and relax a bit before touring. The rooms are European - not large by any means - but comfortable. The refrigerator had soda, water, tea, and juice - with no extra charge. Staying in Basel gets you a tram pass with your room and we were able to tour the city walking and by tram. The Hotel location was excellent, the staff were friendly and attentive, and the morning breakfast very nice. I'd stay there anytime.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Excellently situated hotel with very high qualified staff. Perfect personal approach. Excellent breakfast. Unfortunately overpriced due to the fair time. Very clean room, not enough sound approved. Can be excellent view to the river Rhein obtained.

• Stayed April 2014
Izmir
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed there in July 2013 for a business trip with my wife. The hotel has very good location two minutes away tram station, by the Rhein and walking distance to Marketplatz. Rooms are quite well and roomy hence I should warn you that there was no air condition in our room. The room has view over Rhein, and in July believe me it becomes very hot even for me who is living in Mediterranean cost. Worst thing, you can not open window for a fresh air due to very tiny mosquitos. We had trouble to sleep one night just because of this, the fan in the room was not satisfactory at all. The breakfast buffet has very broad range of cheese which is always good. I can suggest you to stay there unless it is not summer time...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple