“Excellent in all ways, other than the restaurant”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Basel
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Basel
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Paris, France
“Excellent in all ways, other than the restaurant”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a very good stay here. The hotel is at a good location, almost at city center and not far from the railway station. The rooms are well designed and comfortable. They have a nice swimming pool and spa to relax yourselves. Icing on the cake, they give you transport card that allows you to travel on all public transports for free, even to the airport.
The only downside: we ordered dinner at their restaurant and kept waiting for the food to arrive while sipping on our drinks. After inquiring after an hour, they said that they did not have order entered in their system from our table. Ridiculous for a hotel of this stature! They did offer the drinks for free though, to compensate, but that doesn't really make up!
Stay wise, no complaints!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Naveen K
CustomerRelationsRDB, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Basel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Naveen K,

thank you for taking the time and giving us your detailed feedback.

We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our good location, the well designed and comfortable rooms, swimming pool/ spa and free transportation "mobility" ticket. Our deepest apologies for any inconvenience that you had. We would be glad to welcome you again in the future whenever you are staying in Basel.

Kind regards

Sebastian Willert, Front Office Service Manager, Radisson BLU Hotel Basel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is the worst experience I had in a hotel especially given the expected standard of Radisson Blu.

First night, I was disturbed due to the noise of the swimming pool (this is a non-stop roar of the swimming pool engine) so avoid the part of the hotel around this area. So in the middle of the night I called the front desk to ask for a change the next day. The second night after having changed, I was so lucky that I had a huge cockroach on the ceiling. Therefore, I asked the frontdesk to ask the cleaning lady to pick that up but I had to call twice and wait for more than 30minutes before someone came. In the meantime, the coacroach moved around and I could killed myself. The worst came the next day when I came back to the room, it wasn't cleaned at all. It is the first time in 2 years I am staying in hotels that I encountered such a case where the room wasn't cleaned (even more surprising for such as a standard hotel). The worst was to come... The last night there were a lot noise coming from a room upstairs, as the guest opened the window and were talking extremely loud. At 01:30am I could stand it anymore and called the reception. After 20minutes, nothing happened so I decided to go myself and could locate the room easily as it was noisy even from the hallway. Therefore I knocked at the door and the guest tried to ignore and even didn't execuse. It was like if it was me who was disturbing him and his boyfriend who were both smoking marijuana. He just said "be cool and no worries"... this is just amazing I had to handle such situation as a guest.

Unfortunatety, I have a booking for another stay, so I hope this would be much better experience (I would rather avoid).

Room Tip: Avoid the area where the indoor swimming pool is located as a non-stop noise can be heard in the roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank M D
Felix H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Basel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear MD,
I thank you indeed for your time to quote your recent stay with us and I sincerely appologize for your bad experience. I absolutely agree with you that the way we handled your concerns was not according to our Yes I Can spirit.
We look forward to your stay to come and we will do our utmost to proof that we can do better.
Again my sincere appologies.
Felix W. Hauser
Carrigaline, Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have stayed quiet a number of times in this city centre hotel and it has always been first class. A couple of minutes walk to the popular and lively Steinenvorstadt and another minute to Barfusserplatz, a hub for the brilliant tram city that serves Basel. The entire transport system is free to all guests of Radisson Blu (ame for most hotels in Basel). The hotel staff are just excellent and the most helpful people I have ever encountered. Rooms are excellent and don't forget to bring your swimsuit as there is a fantastic swimming pool and gym for all guests. Great to get the day started. It is always one of the few go-to Hotels I always try to get to when visiting Basel.

1 Thank bensoga1
Dear Bensoga1,

thank you for your friendly feedback on TripAdvisor that you wrote after staying serveral times at our city centre hotel. The old historic town of Basel is so moving and has an excellent public transport system mainly consisting of tramlines. You have a wagon coming every 7/8 minutes- for free with the transportation/ mobility ticket. We are pleased to hear that you furthermore liked our hotel staff, rooms and pool/gym for a good start of the day.

We are looking forward to welcome you another time whenever you are in Basel.

Kind regards,

Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a clean, modern hotel with good service and it is located in an excellent location. While close walking distance from the Hauptbanhof, the tram stops right in front of the hotel and the HBF is only 4 stops away. From the HBF a bus runs to the airport at regular intervals, very convenient. The hotel is easy walking distance to the concert hall, all the museums, and the old town and the Rhine River. Very good location.
We did not spend much time in the hotel, although it seemed to have a nice restaurant we did not try it - just too many great options within a short walking distance. No complaints.

1 Thank Robert V
CustomerRelationsRDB, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Basel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Bob,

We are very pleased to read that you like our clean modern hotel and location as well as our service of our staff. We will inform our staff about your feedback. Please let us know if there is any thing else we can do to make your next stay even more comfortable.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Basel!

Best regards

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The location is excellent and the hotel is so comfortable. This hotel is located within walking distance of major restaurants and the train station. Very comfortable stay and experience. The tiramisu at the restaurant was the best I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IRockOut
Dear guest,

thank you very much for you great feedback on tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to read you liked the location near to the old town within all restaurants, museums and the river.
Your review regarding the tiramisu we informed our kitchen chef and restaurant about.

We hope to see you once again in our Radisson Blu Hotel, if you travels brings you back to Basel. Please let us know if we can do any thing for you.

Best regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just returned from 2 nights in this delightful city.
Radisson Blue is a short walk to everything - but even if you are tired - hotels in Basel provide free transit cards.
Room was immaculate and spacious - nice bathroom with large bottles of shampoo and lotion - not the one use/throw away ones.
Very comfortable beds and pillows.
Great indoor pool too.
I definitely recommend this Radisson.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3541bn
CustomerRelationsRDB, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Basel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear 3541bn,

thank you very much for taking the time and giving us your friendly feedback on TripAdvisor. You described the city of Basel and our hotel in such a charming way.

We hope to welcome you again in the future whenever you will be staying in Basel.

Kind regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The location is excellent and the hotel is so comfortable. This hotel is located within walking distance of the train station, tram service (#10) is in front of the hotel to the train station. This hotel is within walking distance of incredible shopping - boutique shopping and Starbucks minutes away - plus the old city high end shopping (e.g. Cartier). And there are restaurant options around to suit any budget. But the hotel itself is a wonderful find. The rooms are bigger than the photos show, with sleeping alcoves and a good sized seating area. It was cleanly decorated, very comfortable. We had an economy room off the central court, and it was quiet and sunny. The people at the hotel are wonderful. In fact the service is extraordinary - everyone is so helpful and so kind! I was not expecting that. These people helped me with the currency, directions galore, mailing, and they were happy to help, always greeting me by name whenever I entered or excited. I did not realize there was a pool/health club on the second floor, it looked liked great, next time I will bring the appropriate clothes for that. All in all I was completely amazed by the 5 star service in this hotel! We has a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back, on the central courtyard, are very quiet.
1 Thank Linda G
Dear Linda,

we appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and pleased to read that you like our good location near to the city center with all shopping and restaurants facilities.
Its honestly a pleasure to read your feedback especially by mentioning our extraordninary service. We live our philosophie "Yes, I Can!" and do our best to make your stay as most as comfortable for you as we can.

If we can do any thing to make your next stay even more comfortable do not hesitate to contact us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Basel.

Sincerly