Basilisk Hotel
Great 4.5/5
    • Fitness centre
    Great 4.5/5
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsthe riverstar hotelmarket squarepublic transportationbreakfast buffet isgermanycentrefridgerhine
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 12 October 2012

I stayed in a single room for one night only. Room was ok, although it looked like as if I had travelled back in time to the 70s. I was looking for a cheap place to stay, so I didn't expect much. Everything was clean and staff were very frienldy, so I was happy and would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
    Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
    1  Thank Evelyn K
    Reviewed 22 September 2012

As most of hotels were fully booked we ended with 3 persons in this hotel, in de centre of Basel. Underground car parking 100m. Late arrival, reception was OK. Elevator was clearly old and not up to date with current safeties. Room was rather small, as was tv, but everything was clean and silent over night. Breakfast was very good, nice assortment of swiss cheeses, fruit juice and several kind of bread. If you only stay for a couple of nights hotel is OK, not recommended for longer stays.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms at end of corridors, are smaller.
    • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
    1  Thank PhilipSchoten
    Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our very large group - including my family of 4 - stayed here for a week. It was a basic hotel.

On the plus side, it was very near a tram stop. This would take you anywhere and was very reliable. It was also very near shops including a couple grocery stores. This is helpful if you are traveling on a budget as Switzerland is expensive.

The hotel staff was extremely welcoming and wonderful. Our large group was very high maintenance, so they dealt with us well.

The breakfast was fine and what you would expect in Switzerland. (Buffet of boiled eggs, yogurt, cheeses and meats, fruit, bread, etc.) The coffee was good and the wait staff was friendly.

The rooms for our entire group varied in size. The two that my family had were adequate, especially for Europe. They weren't huge but definitely spacious enough. They were clean, which is really, really important to me. The beds had duvet covers, so you didn't have to worry about touching yucky bedspreads.

On the minus side, the carpet in the halls is shabby. The furnishings are more on the sparse side. There is no air conditioning and it could get warm in the rooms. If you opened your window at night, you could hear the activity on the streets below.

I was surprised that the rooms were as quiet as they were. My kids had a room at the top of the stairs near the elevator. It was always noisy in the hall. However, little noise seeped through to their room.

Would I stay there again? Probably. It was very convenient and overall, a good, basic hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator. It is the noisiest area. Also, ask about the room when you book. They are so varied in size. Ask for a larger one that is quieter. We were on the 1st floor, but I imagine the upper floors are quieter.
    • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
    1  Thank TTMLexUSA
    Reviewed 2 March 2012

I spent a week at Hotel Basilisk in Basel.
    The hotel is OK.
    Parking fee in the garage across the street.
    A 10-minute walk from the Convention Centre.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
    Reviewed 12 January 2010

i stayed at the hotel Basilsk for 1 night only having watched football at the stadium between Basle and Fulham in the Europa League. The hotel was average and I was on a room only basis simply because my flight back to London was early in the morning. It was basic but clean. There was a complimentary drink in the room. The shower and toilet facility were very small. it was functional but 1 night was enough. It was sufficient for my requirements. The hotel is situated near a Tram route so it is easy to get around Basle. If you come out of the hotel turn left it is about 400 metres to the crossing that tales you over the river and into the city. It tales about 20 minutes brisk walk to get to the main railway station. For me the hotel was ok being a single traveller going to watch football. If my wife was with me then I would consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo