Hotel Victoria
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationair conditioning unitmain tramexcellent locationstandard roomtea and coffee making facilitiesbasel airporttram noisefree wifisitting areaburger kingother citieshotel breakfastgood sizecomfortable hoteltrams and busesconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is conveniently placed opposite the train station and ajacent to the tram station. Unfortunately we had a front facing room which was noisy and competed with the noise from
the struggling air conditioning unit which we needed at 32cº .
The facilities were good tea, coffee, etc the staff at reception were help to us but the poor girl stood at the side of me was spoken to in a very unpleasant tone. The wifi is intermittent and frustratingly always dropping out. Mid day checkout is helpful but beingvwoken at 8.30 on a Sunday tonclean the room isn't.
Didnt eat here so cannot comment.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Opposite Basel HBB main train station, and the bus terminus from the airport, very convenient hotel that does the job nicely. The street outside is busy with trams, buses and taxis, so I guess rooms at the front may be noisy. My room in the adjacent building behind the hotel was beautifully quiet. Nice room, most amenities (no ironing facility in the room), and everything worked. High standard of cleanliness, comfy bedding, and portable air conditioning with window blinds for hot weather. Exercise room pretty small and windowless, but it exists. Free Wi-Fi works well throughout hotel. Breakfast very high standard and huge choice in nice light dining room. Dinner pretty poor but described in separate review. I recommend the nearby Da Roberto Italian restaurant. Also plenty food available in the station or from the nearby supermarket. One observation - no reflection on hotel management - I am repeatedly disappointed at Basel's failure to clean up the down-and-outs and beggars who surround the station and the immediate area - this is a blemish on Basel and Switzerland that amazes me, and actually feels pretty threatening, especially during hours of darkness.

Room Tip: Away from the main street outside
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TheRoliingMcStones
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is convenient. However the otherwise comfortable room was ruined by the lack of air conditioning. On checking in, I found the portable air conditioner was broken so asked reception for this to be fixed.
On my return from dinner not only was it not fixed, but no-one had been to the room to look a very uncomfortable 25 degrees plus! I called reception who informed me it was too late to do anything.
When I complained the next morning having had a sweltering night, the response was indifference until I requested compensation. Reluctantly my car parking was refunded!
4 **** - I don't think so!

Room Tip: Request another room if you A/C is broken!
2  Thank Will A
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel before, came back again and was very happy with my choice. I found the staff friendly and had clean and comfortable room. Location of the hotel is very convenient. If you are travelling by train or plane, I would definitely recommend the hotel.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at Hotel Victoria for a conference first week of June.
This is a great location, in front of the train station. To digress, the train station contains convenient shops. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and helpful for city directions. I stayed in a comfort room and it was spacious and good price for the size. The décor is a bit out of date. Cleaning service every day, and the room was very clean. The one thing my colleague and I did not like is that although Basel is probably the safest city I have ever visited, our rooms did not have a double-lock, meaning, we were unable to lock the door from inside the room. My colleague and I ate the restaurant for 1 dinner which was very good, and had the buffet every day. The buffet was the most complete I have ever had in any hotel. Many options, plus they have a coffee/cappuccino/espresso machine. However, be prepared to pay a high price. All restaurant meals I had in Switzerland were highly priced.

Room Tip: my room faced the courtyard which was quiet. My colleague’s room faced the train station and found that the tram was somewhat noisy.
1  Thank AnnShirley