“Great location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Basel

Hotel Basel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great location and service”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Granted the only time I stay in Basel is during the art fair, which is not necessarily the best time to stay in Basel, but Hotel Basel is my hotel of choice after staying at other local places (Swissotel and Hilton). It is by far the best location - so wonderful to be right off the market square and in the center of town. And the service can not be beat - Frau Brühwiler and her team could not be nicer nor more helpful! I plan to be back again next year!!

Room Tip: I would for sure opt for a "double room" as from what I understand single rooms tend to be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Lori S
Thank you for helping us by writing such a nice comment. We do appreciate that verry much!
We are looking forward to welcome you soon again.
Your Hotel Basel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been traveling for several weeks in Bulgaria, Turkey, Italy, Switzerland, and have just arrived Copenhagen, enroute to Norway. I was really pleased with the Hotel Basel. It appears to be a fairly new building, but designed on the exterior to blend in with the old city architecture. I was imagining it to be more of a big city hotel, with the rather generic name. Instead, it is relatively small ( 5 floors of around 9 rooms per floor ) and is a modern boutique hotel with cool designs. Another recent reviewer thought the room was very small. Mine was a single and I was told that there were no others smaller than that one. I have been in some others recently that were OK, but with much less space than this one. The service was most cordial and helpful and the breakfast buffet is served in a crypt like basement room and it was quite good - if one does not get indigestion over the price! I also had lunch in one of the restaurants out on the sidewalk that is part of the hotel, ravioli with ricotta and spinach, and I was very pleased, taking advantage of their " free " glass of Prosecco.

Room Tip: Make sure you understand the rate structure when booking. They were in the right, but I thought the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear EAZELIFF
Thank you so much for your frindly comment. We do appreciate that very much! Infact we have about 14 rooms on each floor - 72 all together. We are looking forward to welcome you soon again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel in Mid May 2014 for a business trip. Excelent service and nice rooms. A little small compared to the US but to be expected in Europe. Great location very near the tram so i could get back and forth to my meetings. I would definitly stay here again.
Sam M.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Sam M
Thank you that you took the time to rate us. We do appreciate that verry much!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Basel for two nights before embarking on a Rhine River Cruise. Our room was pleasant and very clean, bed was comfortable, and the area was very quiet. We enjoyed being in this pedestrian area of the old town where it was easy to walk to the marketplace, the Rhine, with its lovely long walkway, the remarkable City Hall, good restaurants, and lots of expensive shops. I inadvertently dropped my purse coming into the hotel after a trip to the marketplace and was in a panic, thinking it had been stolen in the marketplace. But hotel staff found it in the lobby and kept it safe until letting us know they had found it. The advertised breakfast buffet is CH 25, but you can opt to have a light breakfast of croissants and tea or coffee for CH 12.50, though hotel staff doesn't tell you that unless you ask.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear kurseni
thank you for your comment. We do appreciate that verry much.
London, England
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have to confess I really don't understand all the love for this hotel. Granted, I came during Art Basel, but I still feel the tiny, characterless room I got for a whopping CHF 420 was among the worst value for money I've ever gotten at a hotel. The day before I stayed at a fantastic 5 star hotel in Bern, with a room twice the size, twice the amenities and far superior finish, for less money... My room at Hotel Basel (502) was threadbare, small, and altogether uninviting.

Besides the room, I had a few other minor complaints: the internet connection is unreliable and cumbersome to get on, there was practically nothing in the mini bar (I think 2 waters, a coke, and a juice), breakfast was very average, and the hotel doesn't have a great ambiance in my opinion. Anyway, to each his own... clearly I'm in the minority here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank RamblingRambler
Dear RamblingRambler
we are very sorry that you did not like the Hotel Basel. Just to explain: our minibar only contains a still water, a sparkling water, a coke and a beer because it is free of charge aswell as the internet connection which usually works unproblematic.
Thank you so much that you took the time to rate us. We appreciate any comment. Only due to your comments we can improve.
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We did a Rhine Valley cruise out of Basel and needed a night to stay. We wanted to be in the old town and picked the Hotel Basel. It was Excellent. The room was big and modern and wonderful. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We have stayed at many hotels in Europe and this was clearly the best ever.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Bruce B
Thank you so much for your nice comment. We loved to be your host! Hope to see you again soon.
Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

During our recent EU holiday, my wife and I stayed at the Hotel Basel for two nights. I stayed here several years ago while on business. Since I was accompanied, we upgraded to a junior suite. It was well worth it for the added space and comfort. This hotel is centrally located to the old part of town and has easy access to dining, shops of all kinds and numerous points of interest. The staff was exceptionally cordial. We were very pleased with the nice added touch of free tram passes. You cannot go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 516, which is right of the lift. Excellent views, no noise and easy access.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear pagur
Thank you so much for your nice comment. That will help us and other guests.
Hopefully you will be back to Hotel Basel soon!