“Lots of Energy”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Lots of Energy”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Even for someone like me (American) who is not a huge fan of Football (AKA: Soccer), it is still a lot of fun to attend a real football match in Europe. The St. Jakob Stadium in Basel is a nice place to enjoy just such a game. The fans in Basel are great, and really show some team spirit before and during the games. I recommend giving it a try if you're in town during a game.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jim P

• Turkish first
Maasmechelen, Belgium
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice footballarena”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Really nice footballstadion. High comfort for fans and enough to eat, drink and shop around the stadion

Visited October 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“World curling”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Good view for the curling, but there could have been more choices of food.

Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“St. Jakob Park is a must-go for the traveling soccer fan, but even non-fans could enjoy a match here.”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I actually went here in April 2010, but TripAdvisor doesn't give the option to go back 2 years. My review will be accurate though, because my trip to St. Jakob Park is something I will never forget. I went on foreign exchange to Basel my senior year of high school, and the day I got there, my host brother asked me what I already knew about his city. I told him I didn't know much except for the football club, which is very successful and famous amongst soccer nuts like myself. "We could go on Sunday" he told me, and of course I was all for it. I would get to see a real soccer game in a real soccer stadium, and I was so excited.

When Sunday came, we walked to Barfüsserplatz and got onto tram #14 towards Basel Mparc, which will take you right to the stadium, just hop off when you see it. Travel was very easy, with no hassles at all. There were no intrusive patdowns at the gate, like you'd see at an American stadium, the attendants just checked tickets and let us in. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric, owing to the Ultras (hardcore fans) singing songs, waving flags and setting off flares. The atmosphere was helped by the fact that the home team won 5-0, and was in total control of the match from beginning to end!

As a huge soccer fan, I really enjoyed my experience at St. Jakob Park, but I get the feeling that even somebody who doesn't love soccer would have a great time. It is a very exciting and fun place to be, and I would think a non-fan would enjoy just the atmosphere, cheer along, experience a huge part of Basel culture, have a beer and a sausage and enjoy his or herself. So if you're a fan traveling with non-fans, don't fret, because your non-fan friends can come along without being bored.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank Andrew F
Porto
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Regular Stadium”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

It´s a normal stadium but the "tiffosi" make a ver good enviroment!

Visited March 2012