“I would go again!!!!”

Basel Youth Hostel
Ranked #6 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Basel
“I would go again!!!!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Everything was great!!! Location, services, attendants. Price was a bit spicy but it was more the currency itself than the hostel, which compared to others is still the best offer.
The room was quiet and yet I was able to connect with my roommates in the room or in the lobby.
Nothing to say but I would choose it again next time!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

At 43 CHF this place seemed to me way too expensive, but i must admit i happended to be there during the annual Art Fair, an important international event, so i guess the prices went up. Apart from that its a high standard YHA place. As usual, no kitchen, not even a microwave, so I ate cold for 4 days. I had compensation with the very excellent breakfast they served (that may explain the price of the bed but i would prefer not to have any breakfast included and pay 32 CHF.
Paying in dollars, this hostel was for me the most expensive in 3 yrs in Europe: 57$ !!! An hotel price. In normal circumstances this would have been enough to skip Basel altogether because no camping nearby was reachable either, but this was my last week ON THE ROAD and my plane was from there, so i resigned myself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank louisarnout
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm not a regular traveller to hostels but Basel's version thoroughly impressed. The design smacks of industrial-chic and although the food provided (breakfast is inclusive) was basic is was more than expected. The beds are a little basic (it is a hostel after all) but the whole building is clean throughout and have everything you need. The location by a small brook is also lovely, very quiet and serene. Sure, you need to make your own bed and strip it afterwards plus towels are charged for if you forget yours but this is a hostel - not a hotel. That said, it provides more class than many hotels I've stayed in...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DuncanEF
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 11 June 2014

just been there for one night, Hostel very clean and in a good location. they give you a mobility card valid for one day you can use public transportation as much as you want. breakfast is fine. you have to make and strip the beds and get the linen down to the basement when checking out, but that's not an issue.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed there for 3 days! Excellent location, good beds, showers, toilets,... Breakfast is better than most places I stayed in my life! The staff is extremely friendly! Even if the price is a bit high (remember you're in Switzerland), it is worth the stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
here and now
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Basic accommodation but extremely functional. The building and style was unique - terrific location in lovely quarter of the city. Family friendly too the children's play area was great. Having to make and strip the beds again was no problem for us and balanced against the low cost we were happy to take the linen to the basement. Food was excellent, well priced and tasty. How wonderful to hear the rush of the river and birdsong in your room early in the morning / late at night.

Excellent friendly staff were charming and very informative.

BTW Wasn't hard to find at all, looked it all up on streetmap beforehand and once satnav lead us there, we unloaded and found free parking just up on the road.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ontario, Oregon
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I came during Fasnacht which is a time when Basel is generally full. I know Basel very well as I lived there for a time back in the 70s. It was my first hostel stay ever so I have nothing to compare it with. As Basel goes, it might be a BIT hard to find but it is just down the hill from the St. Alban-Tor, near the old paper mill, but really not THAT hard to find! Every hotel in Basel give's one a public transportation pass good for their entire stay which is worth its weight in gold! The breakfast was wonderful and when you consider that Basel is quite expensive this was a bargain to have breakfast included. Now had my husband been along, we probably could have stayed together at a regular budget hotel for not much more. I loved the great mix of guests of all ages--note YOUTH doesn't really describe who comes these days LOL! I am 61 and the majority of those there were my age and even older. The bed linen was quite comfortable I thought. I brought my own towel--knowing the old-timey Swiss ways in advance. I knew one could "rent" a towel but why bother? The place was spotless. The bathrooms were spotless too. I saw a few things that I can't "unsee" too LOL. Europeans are a bit less uninhibited that Americans--they might walk down the hall in their underwear only or covered only in front with a towel...the desk staff were multilingual and very friendly although I can speak German, Spanish and in addition to my native English. I enjoyed the old-warehouse atmosphere. The reading material was in German because Switzerland is a German-speaking country!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo