“Xmas Markets - Basel”

Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Basel
London, United Kingdom
“Xmas Markets - Basel”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel was fabulous ! Staff are brilliant, friendly and helpful.
Room size was excellent ... very spacious. Large screen TV, Tassimo coffee machine and clock radio with iPhone/iPod dock ( not Lightning connection... old iPhone 4 ) was nice extra touches to make our stay more comfortable. The Bed mattress was so comfortable I almost spent my weekend in bed ! Very Comfortable ! Bathroom/Bath size was small... but more than met our requirements. Hotel had a snooker table Fuβball Table which help us kill time before our flight [ also a treadmill and exercise bike ... but we did enough walking thanks ;) ]
One thing to note... the room we had (107 , and i think most rooms ) is on the road that has a tram line running. You certainly heard ( even felt it a tiny little) but it did not bother me too much.
Its handy to note you get FREE public transport with your Hotel booking! When you arrive at the airport, all you need to do is get on the bus. In the event a ticket inspector boards the bus and checks tickets, you just show your hotel reservation. Once you at the hotel, the hotel will give you your "Mobility Ticket" for travel on trams and buses

Room Tip: Try getting a room on top floor. As it might be better for the sound of the tram ( and vibrations )
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you were satisfied with our hotel and enjoyed your stay. We wish you a wonderful Christmas time and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is a very good hotel in Basel if you want to get quality for the reasonable price. The only problem is wifi - the speed of internet was slow and connection not stable. Very uncomfortable when you are in a business trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We thank you very much for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appologize for the inconvenience regarding the WLAN during your stay. We wish you a wonderful Christmas time and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The staff is helpful and polite; the room is spacious and clean; good breakfast in a room with beautiful view to Spalentor and easy access to city center. I really enjoyed it and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We thank you very much for your review and we hope you have had a pleasant journey back home. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and were satisfied with our staff, your room and the location of the hotel. We wish you all the best, a lovely Christmas time and are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were informed that we were upgraded to a better room for the same price. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. Nice short walk to shopping and restaurants in this quaint, lovely town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We thank you very much for your review and hope you have had a pleasant journey back home. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Aartselaar, Belgium
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Small hotel, very close to city center.
A room without carpets, in one word fantastic!!!!!
If arriving with a car, it will increase your cost.
Price of the rooms are well below, quality is well above the Basel average.

Room Tip: Car parking can be expensive.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank petermie
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We wish you all the best and are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Fleet
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I'm writing this while waiting for the maids to finish their break (!!) and get my room ready...I have been warned it could be another two hours yet...now having sent a message in advance to the hotel that I was arriving in the morning, before the official 2pm check-in time, one would think in this day and age it would be pretty simple to get a room ready...to be honest I can't remember the last hotel I have been too where this has been a problem...
even when I suggested switching to another, I was told that all the rooms had already been pre-assigned and got the impression that they couldn't be bothered to change it just for my benefit...having got up at 4am to make the trip, I wanted and needed a few hours kip, instead I'm sitting impatiently in a conference room downstairs...
considering the ridiculous price I am being charged a night, I'd expect a lot better...so whatever the stay holds in store from now on, my first impression will be the only one that counts and I'm not impressed

Room Tip: don't bother trying to check-in before 2pm
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We hope you had a safe journey back home and thank you very much for your review. We regret very much that you could not check in before the officicial check in time due to the hotel was fully booked the previous night and you had to wait. We appologize for this inconvenience. We wish you a beautiful Christmas season and wish you all the best.
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stay hear for 2 night earlier this week; booked purely on tripadvisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. 1st time in Basel with work; arrived on my own at the airport and caught the number 50 bus, got off at the 5th stop and the hotel is about a 5 minute walk away. Had asked in the hotel had and iron and ironing board in advance and it was waiting in my room for me. The rooms are of a decent size with nice soft beds and down duvets and pillows. Nicely furnished and modern. Bathroom was also well equipped with bath and removable shower head which made it easier to just wash your hair if you wanted. Breakfast was nice with a good continental selection, lots of fresh breads. Didn't opt for a hot breakfast but looked like scrambled egg and bacon. The staff were very helpful and even had an umbrella for me when it was raining. Big plus for me and in part why i booked this hotel is the free wifi that you get and you also get a free city travelpass for the duration of your stay which is valid on buses and the tram in the central zone which includes the airport which was great.

Don't think they do evening meals - but worth checking; I arrived late on my first night and just went out for a Pizza on my 2nd night.

I would highly recommend this hotel and when I return to Basel I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy junction and is a bit noisy with eth passing traffic. I stayed in a room on t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your positive review. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay and enjoyed the hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.