“Not very nice”

Airport Hotel Basel
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stay at this airport hotel because I go for business trip. Not very nice, I must say. The hoetl have good location but nothing else I like. Ok, the breakfast not bad and the service also not bad. But room is not my liking and I very much bored in this place. If not for business, I stay in hotel in town.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
airporthotelbasel1, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments. Please be informed that our shuttle will bring our guests free of charge to Basel city centre and the surroundings. So next time you could explore some of Basels attractions. All the best and thank you again for your comment. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this hotel as I am a young woman travelling on my own and needed to stay at Basel airport for one night.
I chose the hotel as it stated it was at the airport and offered a safe shuttle service.
In fact, this hotel is a ten minute drive away from the airport itself.
I emailed the hotel requesting the shuttle service to which they did not email back.
Upon arriving at Basel airport- at 11:30 pm at night- I called the hotel and asked for the shuttle to collect me, the lady on the phone said the shuttle was busy. She then suggested I get the bus from outside the airport which would stop outside the hotel. I was very wary to get a bus as a girl on my own at night- but the taxi queue was at least half an hour long and the bus looked safe enough.
Every announcement on the bus was in German so I couldn't understand where to get off, I got off at the second stop in a totally industrial area.
Google maps informed me that I was a mile from the hotel, I couldn't find a taxi as it was literally in the middle of nowhere! I was absolutely terrified as it was pitch black, I was on my own with lots of luggage and the area was full of tower blocks, factories and graffiti.
I struggled with my bags and walked past two men who shouted things at me and proceeded to follow me for a while. I was so scared I was going to get mugged or worse! The area around the hotel is so dangerous and scary!
I eventually got there and was shaking and in tears, the staff offered me a glass of water and said that oh they should of ordered me a taxi- idiots!
upon checking out the next day I received an email from the manager basically insisting that I was being over dramatic and that the hotel wasn't at fault- how dare they! He in fact stated in the email that "Basel is really one of the European cities with the least criminal incidents in Europe." and that the area I walked through at night "is equipped with CCTV cameras" so that's ok then at least they would be able to identify my attackers afterwards!
Absolutely terrible service and I was offered no discount on the expensive room rate I paid- I urge all female travellers on their own to stay well away from this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Parakeetsinmygarden

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay with us.

You have made a reservation via booking.com. On the site, its mentioned the hotel is offering a shuttle bus service upon request and availability.

The night of your arrivaal, you wrote an email at our reservations requesting the shuttle service. Your action was correct but unfortunately it was sent at the reservations department which is open during office times. Therefore your email was not checked before your arrival.

At your arrival in Basel, you called the hotel and asked instructions of how to reach the hotel. The reception staff advised that the Bus 50 will take you directly outside the hotel after two stops. From what I was informed you did not come out on the second stop but a stop further down. Upon arrival at the hotel you stressed out the fact that you did not feel comfortable walking alone, which I totally understand. On the other hand, please note that Basel is really one of the European cities with the least criminal incidents in Europe. Though, as I mentioned above I totally understand you.

Mrs Krieg, our Front Office manager talked to you this morning. You mentioned to her your concern about the hotel not being women friendly (or the location of the hotel). Our hotel has though 43% of single woman. To that I wish to add that the road from the Airport to the edge of the city (near the bus stop you got off) is equipped with night cctv cameras as we are situated near the French boarders.

Nevertheless I would personally like to apologise for the above, and would also like to offer myself at your service for the next time you arrive in Basel. Even if you do not choose to stay with us, and as we are the only hotel in Basel offering the shuttle service, I would be very happy to personally pick you up from the Airport and drive you to your hotel. Of course the return trip from the hotel to the Airport will also be included.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further. I wish you a pleasant day and all the best from Basel.

Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very pleased with staff, professional, helpful and friendly. Rooms are comfortable but the "old" mini bar facility could have done (instead there are vendors machine on the floor), A bit of an early (around 8,30) knock at the door from the housekeeper on the set leaving date it's probably due to miscommunication with the reception, however not the most pleasant of the wake up :(.
Breakfast (different packages on offer) it's average and not mind blowing. I reckon the Hotel would suit perfectly short term business stay for departures from the close by airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. If I may, I will comment on a few points. The mini bar: The Airport Hotel Basel is a “Green Hotel”. Our CO2 footprint is 0 (Zero) as we do not burn any fuels but get the energy underground. When we opened the hotel in 2007 we thought that having 11 Vending machines on the floors (one on each floor) instead of running 167 mini bars in each room, will be environmental friendly, which 7 years down the road has been proven. This is the main reason. For the housekeeping knocking on your door at 08:30 although your check out officially is at 12:00 noon is not acceptable. I will look into this myself. Please accept my apology. About the breakfast it always depends on the guests likes. Its a hot buffet starting at 06:00. From 04:00 till 06:00 we offer our express breakfast for early departure guests. The location of the hotel is suitable for both short and long stays. We are 7min away from the city centre, 3 min away from the Airport and we offer our shuttle bus service free of charge.
Again, thank you very much for you constructive comments and wish you all the best. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My friends and I did not stay at the Airport Hotel but if we ever have a need to stay in Basil, we certainly will. From being misinformed we ended up trying walk from the train station to the airport; we were told it was a 20 minute walk. As we came to find out it was not. We walked for over an hour on a holiday and no taxis were in sight. We were afraid we would miss our flight and had no idea how far we still had to go. However, the shuttle bus driver for the Airport hotel passed us by on the highway, stopped, backed up and kindly asked if we wanted a ride and told us we had over a km still to go. It was hot, muggy and we had heavy suitcases. He gave us a ride, was cheery and delightful as could be, and dropped us off at the Basal Airport. We were incredibly thankful for his thoughtfulness and service. The date was 4/21/2014 around 1pm. So thank you to the driver that day! He earned his employer business, a good review and image.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Naomi U

Dear guest.Thank you for your positive comment although you did not stay with us. I will pass your thanks to our driver. We always try to do that extra mile with our services and this does reflect that fact. All the best and hope to be able to accommodate you the next time you are in Basel. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Very clean spacious rooms. Quite new although the lobby could use a renovation. Staff is friendly and helpful. Positively surprised by the no charge express breakfast. Although in a remote area with the casino next door and the restaurant in between a good place to stay near the airport. Would recommend it anytime.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
airporthotelbasel1, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your great feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us an thank you for the recommendation. We are looking forward to welcome you the next time in our hotel. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Very silent place. WiFi was on point and yes it was free. I loved the place. The place is well Kept and it is very clean. The food was good and the breakfast was also really good.

The staff are very friendly and they are willing to help you in everything

I will definitely come back again if I ever get a chance to...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa L

Dear Guest, thank you so ever for taking time to write a review. It`s great to hear that you had a good time with us and we would be glad if we get the chance to welcome you in the nearest future in the Airport Hotel Basel. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

stayed here 2 nights on business. really well kept and functional hotel. tv has worldwide channels with huge choice. beds are large very clean comfy. I was in room 1106.
one thing missing was a mini bar. also no real options if ur thursty.
bus 50 runs from sbb to airport passing hotel on frequent occasions. recommended

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Spookeytookey

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your online comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. It`s right that we have no minibars in the room in cause of environment reason. Therefore we have vending machines on each floor which you could handle easily with your room key. We would be glad to welcome you again! Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basel
Vorstädte
Steinenschanze Stadthotel
Ibis Mulhouse Bale Aeroport
#2 of 6 in Saint Louis
Hotel Stuecki Basel
#10 of 51 in Basel
ibis Basel Bahnhof
#16 of 51 in Basel

Been to Airport Hotel Basel? Share your experiences!