“Always a good bet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #78 of 635 Restaurants in Basel
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Vorstädte
Paris, France
“Always a good bet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Noohn has been around for a while but remains a staple in Basel in my opinion. The atmosphere is young and trendy. Have a bottle of wine at the bar first and then move to the main dining area. It won't be the best sushi you've ever had or the best service, but I have to say they've performed consistently well over the years in my books.
Only downside would be the inflexibility of the staff to accommodate groups. They're very adamant about not seating you in certain areas if you don't have a reservation, etc. As for the prices, well, it's Switzerland, what do you expect?

1 Thank 260405538

“Worst customer service ever in my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Sorry but this place is a disaster. The customer service from the staff who are all so arrogant need to learn a little lesson in life that customer s like you and I will vote with our feet. So expats be aware

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank berray
Christoph K, Geschäftsführer at Noohn -Restaurant-Lounge- Bar, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Berray,

for the first I want to say that I'm really sad that you had such a terrible evening at NOOHN. Big Sorry for that! As we have a change of management at the time I'm really interested what happened this evening. So please contact me under ck@noohn.com and tell me the details. In revenge I would like to invite you to show what the NOOHN experience should feel like!

With best regards

Christoph Kaapke
Switzerland
“Interesting fusion restaurant with a vibrant atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've been to Noohn a number of times over the last couple of years and always had a good experience. The place is usually busy, especially at weekends, so its definitely best to make a reservation. Both the bar, the Sushi Bar and the A la Carte restaurant have a casual informal atmosphere with an interesting mixture of customers, young and old which is normally a good sign.

The food is an interesting fusion of Asian cuisine (Japanese, Thai, Malaysian and Chinese) and European. Depending on how you're feeling you can either sit at the Sushi bar and serve yourself or maybe enjoy waiter service in the restaurant area. On my last visit we dined A la Carte, I chose the Black Cod served in a pepper broth with shimeji and enoki mushrooms and edamame beans.. it was superb. My partner went for a Red Curry which was also delicious. Main courses here are priced in the range CHF 30-50 which is pretty typical for Switzerland. As are most things in this part of the world, its certainly not cheap but the quality is good.

There is an extensive selection of wines by the glass and a diverse wine list from all around the world. They also have a good selection of beers, including Japanese Kirin which I've not seen anywhere else in Basel. All in all I've never been disappointed here. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hugh B
Bartenheim, France
“Really nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have been to Noohn a couple of times, 1 being my Birthday and the last time we went, my sister and I took my mum for Mother's Day. We were a bit disappointed as we went when Basel World was on and the prices were hugely inflated, the cheapest bottle of wine was over 100CHF and none of the set menus were available.
Having said that, the rest of the time you can't fault it, the food is great in a really nice restaurant with a good ambience. The staff are friendly and we didn't experience any long wait times.
There is also a revolving sushi bar which I am yet to try but as I love sushi I will definitely go back to try it.
I have also been there with work when we had finger food and drinks, really nice and a good night out.
Prices are in line with the rest of Basel really, if you live around here it's not much of a surprise but if you are visiting, the prices might be a bit of a shock, welcome to Basel!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Louise H
Manama, Bahrain
“Great food and atmospher”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Excellent sushi and sashimi plus a wide variety of main courses makes Noohn an excellent restaurant. I went on Wednesday evening and it was pretty busy in the dining areas and the lounge. Managed lunch as well in the garden area...

• Visited June 2014