“The worst restaurant I have ever been to in Basel, by far!”
Review of Zum Isaak

Zum Isaak
Ranked #76 of 678 Restaurants in Basel
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We booked tickets for the open air cinema in Munsterplatz, and wanted to have dinner before the show, so we reserved a table here at Zum Isaak. On arrival, we confimed our reservation, and the waiter waved to three free tables in the back courtyard. The limited menu arrived, and from the poor choices i chose the prawn cocktail followed by the lamb medallions, what i got was from a kitchen nightmare. Both dishes were absolutely disgusting. The prawn cocktail had chopped shrimps in a strange sauce, but this was buried under two inches of whipped cream. What was the Chef thinking? The lamb was completely undercooked, wrapped in raw bacon, and by the toughness of the flesh, it must have been from a Mountain sheep that died from old age. This was accompanied by tasteless taboule, and one fresh cherry tomato. the only thing on the plate which was actually enjoyable.
We paid and left in disgust.

Only to find that the open air cinema had its own food stalls, pizza, mexican, thai etc. at least our ice cream for dessert was actually worth the money.

If you want to have a fabulous meal, whilst enjoying the ambience of Munsterplatz, bring a picnic!

3  Thank Ian L
There are newer reviews for Zum Isaak

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Great place to have a beer or coffee outside, overlooking the beautiful Basel cathedral. The location couldnt be better. The atmosphere was casual, the food (I had some sort of veal stew with rice and peppers) was really nice.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed a dinner in June at Zum Isaak Gastronomie und Kultur! The casual interior of the restaurant was comfortable and I appreciated the lovely view of Basel’s Cathedral that I had from my table on an unexpectedly cold and rainy night. A very large table of people who were apparently celebrating something were there when I arrived and were a bit louder than I would have preferred, but they left shortly after I got there, leaving me to enjoy my meal in a pleasantly calm atmosphere.

I began with lightly grilled goat cheese, served over greens with figs – scrumptious! My main course was duck breast with a balsamic sauce, accompanied by toasted risotto and yellow and red peppers -- also absolutely delicious! My server recommended affordable wines by the glass to accompany these dishes, and I can’t imagine better pairings. The service was absolutely outstanding: It was responsive and attentive and friendly from the moment I contacted the restaurant for a reservation all the way through the moment I left after my memorable meal. Kudos! I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

A very pleasant restaurant with a shortish but interesting menu. A few tables outside on the square offer a nice view of the Cathedral. There is also a peaceful garden at the back. Service was efficient and a little abrupt, perhaps due to the fact that the restaurant was quite busy despite a week-day.

Main courses are on a pricey side but starters are generous size and good value. Usual good selection of wines and beers.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Attractive site in an old town square. Busy on an early Saturday evening in February but able to get in unbooked. Good val;ue and good portions of uncomplicated dishes. . We had Steak and the daily special which was Pork. Service just right, not too slow, not too fast..

One downside for one of us was a dog in the dininbg area though.