“Great Breakfast and Clean”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Bern
Reviewed 17 May 2014

If you are looking for a place you will not spend a lot of time but want a great way to start the day and enjoy the fact that this is clean and well kept this is the place for you. Bern's old town is worth a drive through - stop for dinner if you are in town.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give better overall views of the town and outlining countryside.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julia M

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel located at a convenient position, it takes about 5 minutes to reach the hotel from Bern train station. The quality of room, cleanliness, and breakfast are much better than expectation provided with the price it charges. Highly recommend to budget travelers who wish to find a place with convenient location.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Leeyan815
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I liked this hotel. First of all, it is located in the center of Bern, close to numerous restaurants and shopping, and a short walk from the train station. The rooms were comfortable and clean, though a bit spartan on the furniture. The bathroom was clean and efficient, with a nice tiled shower stall and plenty of hot water. There was plenty of steam heat that you can adjust to your tastes. The breakfast buffet was quite extensive, though hot food was mainly limited to scrambled eggs and bacon. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Wireless internet was 5 Swiss francs for the week! And the price for the room was a bargain given the location. On the other hand, the beds were okay but not great. It would have been nice to have a night table next to the bed and a reading light, but they weren't there. There were no toiletries other than the soap dispensers. The older tube-type TV had no English language stations. If you get there late at night, particularly on weekends, you need to go across the street and register at the Hotel Kreuz. It's quirky though not a real hassle. Some amenities, like the single washing machine for your laundry, are in the Hotel Kreuz. Some reviewers complained about tiny rooms; I looked on the floor plan and there are a few very tiny rooms, though mine and all the ones I saw on my floor were doubles and typical for Europe. The hotel is not air conditioned so summer may be an uncomfortable time, and opening the window does let in the street noise (one colleague of mine had a room facing the back and he never heard anything). All in all, the hotel provided an okay place to stay with a great location at a very reasonable price, though with few amenities. I really wanted to give it a 3.5. And I still like it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street if you want it quiet, though with the window closed, the street...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was looking for a hotel in Bern for a night and found this nearby railway station. They were also asking for a reasonable price so I was ok with it. The room was ok at the asked price. The lobby of the hotel is dark as you get down from lift (as they have these movement detectors) i.e. only when you walk in the lobby the lights switches on.

Rooms are small but ok for a night stay. Given that hotel is close to a big street, you might be bothered with the noise until midnight.

We were told that our room includes breakfast as well. Since we wanted to go around the city early morning as we had to catch the train for Zurich, we finished our breakfast earlier. The breakfast spread was very average. Throughout the breakfast, the lady who is supposed to help the guests kept talking loudly (with all sorts of voice modulation) with her other colleague. It was very irritating especially when you want to have quite breakfast in the morning. Anyways, we managed through that noisy breakfast. Me and my friend went for a walk and then came in couple of hours. We went back to the breakfast room to have a cup of coffee.
This lady said that we have been here before and to that we said “Yes”. She passed on some remarks in her local language but her remarks were as if she is obliging us by letting us have another round of coffee. I was so shocked that it is rated as 3 star hotel and staff does not even know how to behave with the guests. Also, no where they have mentioned that guest can only come for breakfast only once.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Bern is a nice place and I am sure you can find another good hotel in the same price. I was surprised that 3 star hotel has such people in their staff who doesn't know anything about the services.

Room Tip: -> Choose a room which does not have a window opening towards the main street
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amit B
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a very good value hotel. The price is very modest especially for Switzerland. It is located right in the centre of the old town,a short walk even with luggage from the main Railway Station.
Rooms are clean and the staff are very attentive.To top it off it includes full breakfast...not just a croisant or a roll, but toast and bacon.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the evening and you need to go to the hotel in front in order to do the check in because there are no people at the hotel in the evening.
I could also use the internet in the other hotel.
The room is quite small but not bad especially considering the price I paid.
The hotel is located in the center and perfect to visit the town.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Metropole for one night on Saturday, 8th September 2013. I chose the hotel for a number of reasons - one of which being that I could redeem some Avios points at this hotel, the others being it's location. I read the Trip Advisor views first, of course, before booking and was satisfied that I'd made a good choice. Before flying, my intention was to relax for the evening and then maybe spend an hour or two the next morning having a wander around the city centre before my onward travel.

I arrived at the hotel at about 7.30pm. I knew from reading the Trip Advisor reviews that, as the reception desk would be closed, to head across the road to the Hotel Kreuz. The gentleman checked me in, gave me my key and then explained how to get into the Metropole and to take the lift onto floor 2. So, I made my way across the road towards the hotel. There was a music festival of some sort happening close by to the hotel (which didn't bother me at all), however as I entered the Metropole, two youths darted through the door which was shutting behind me. They were probably around 18-22 years old. I don't know what it was that set me on edge, but just something about the way they darted through the door bothered me. One of the guys got into the lift with me. He realised that I speak only English and started asking me if I was here my by myself. I am so cross with myself because I would never normally let my guard down, but I guess in my tired haze from travelling, I must have said yes. He pressed the lift button for floor 3 and I pressed the button for floor 2. As the lift stopped on floor 2, I got out. I was surprised to see that the guy got out too and started to follow me towards my room. I turned left round the corner to where my room was and got my key out to insert into the door. As I was opening the door I noticed out the corner of my eye that he was sticking his head round the corner, watching me go into my room. I felt really vulnerable at this point. I closed the door quickly and locked it. Having got inside the room, it was small and minimal, but adequate for my needs. I don't know how long it was - could have been 5 minutes or so later - but there was someone knocking at my door. I was really scared at this point as I assumed that it was the guy who had followed and watched me. The knocking continued for about 5 minutes, but I simply ignored it. There was no way I was going to open my door to a stranger. After the knocking stopped, I used the telephone in my room to ring down to the lobby of the Hotel Kreuz across the street and told the gentleman who checking me in what had happened. He promised me he would come across and check all the floors to see if there was anybody lurking who shouldn't be. He did do this quickly and assured me that he had checked all the floors twice and there was no one there. That did reassure me slightly. Then about 5 minutes later I noticed that there was a piece of paper under my door. Because I had locked the door and put my suitcase up against in when I had originally entered the room, I didn't notice that the note had been placed under my door - which presumably had happened when the guy was knocking on my door. For the rest of the evening I was frozen with fear. I know that sounds dramatic but as a solo female traveller, I do not appreciate being hassled in this way. I did not ask for this and I did not want this. I had a fitful night's sleep and even though breakfast was included with my room, I checked out as soon as possible on Sunday morning and left Bern. As I checked out, I gave the note to the lady on reception and told her what had happened. If the guy who left me the note was indeed in room 505, I hope they spoke to him about it. I am disappointed about the whole experience - which, whilst not the hotel's fault - as it tainted my experience of Bern.

Having thought about the whole thing, I think the hotel could improve it's checking in procedures on evenings - especially for solo female travellers. Although nothing physical happened to me, emotionally it was a terrible experience and not one which I wish to repeat ever again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo