“High on taste, low on decor”
Review of Zara 2001

Zara 2001
Ranked #846 of 1,774 Restaurants in Geneva
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighbourhood: Pâquis-Temple
Neighbourhood: Pâquis-Temple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We have always loved Ethiopian food and so really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was very good, but we thought a bit pricey at 25 francs a head. However, Geneva is a very expensive city, so these prices might not be considered out of line. There were three of us and we ordered the sample plate for 2 for 50 francs. The portions were adequate for two males but since the third of us was a woman who did not want to eat too much, the three of us could share just fine the plate for two. Plus, we really didn't want to spend 75 francs for the platter for three people. There were Ethiopian men eating, drinking coffee, and playing cards, so you know the food has to be authentic. The bathroom was quite a disappointment -- I've seen nicer in third-world countries. No lock on the door, kind of dirty. And Ethiopian food you eat with your hands so we did want to get clean. Luckily I had brought hand sanitizer with so we used that instead. If you can look past the bathroom, and 25 francs a head seems reasonable, then you will really enjoy the food and simple atmosphere.

2  Thank LadyArlington

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Based on existing Tripadvisor reviewers for Ethiopian food in central Geneva we tried Zara 2001 (reviewers wanted kitchen of Zara and decor of another). Having eaten Ethiopian food in Axum, Gondar, Lalibella, Addis and Kampala (Ug), the Zara food was easily as good and very well prepared and presented- for CHF25 a person. Even has bottled St George if you are missing it. Good sized portions, ask if you want the spice (we did) else maybe they think you're a lost tourist and leave it out. Thank you Tripadvisor reviewers - good recommendation.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

It is a simple little hole in the wall of a cafe/restaurant and the food was really good. The injera was very tasty and blended perfectly with the flavours of the vegetarian dish I ate. If you're a non-French speaker, it is a little bit tough as the waiter on the day we went spoke no English, but pointing and gesturing it us by and we really enjoyed it. I'd go again if I was still in Geneva!

Reviewed 10 March 2012

From all the ethiopiant restaurant this one is the one I prefer for the food quality.
The ambiance is simple and the service as well but polite which is the most important.
The choice for wines is simple, I can recommend a south african wine which is very nice.
The prices are normal and not too expensive for my point of view.

If I go back with friends who wants to try that knid of food I would bring them there.

3  Thank prx187
Reviewed 16 August 2011

To be pedantic, I think this restaurant is probably Eritrean rather than Ethiopian, but they are closely linked and as well as Eritrean food they do have Ethiopian (and I think some Indian) dishes.

The Paquis district is what is often euphemistically described as edgy - its poor (by Geneva standards), it includes the red light district, and its home to a lot of immigrants many of whom have come from Eritrea, and a few of whom have set up restaurants. The Paquis is also home to a few 4 star hotels, one of which I was staying in. I suspect a lot of the visitors to those hotels would turn up their noses and walk past the Eritrean restaurants, but if they do they are missing a treat. To be fair my hotel receptionist did recommend Zara 2001 to me.

This is no fancy restaurant, but it seemed to me to be clean and its certainly comfortable and friendly. A small number of locals from the Eritrean and other communities seem to come here just to drink and socialise. To me that just added to the experience and the laid back atmosphere.

I tried a special plate to sample both "Tibsi" (spicy lamb stew) and "Zegni" (spicy beef stew) together with lentil, spinach and other side dishes. The stews are served on several "injera" (a kind of spongy pancake) and more "injera" accompany it. You eat the dishes with the injera - no knives, forks and spoons, but as they say when in Eritrea (or even an Eritrean restaurant) do as the Eritreans do !!

The food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the Tibsi, which is prepared with chilli, onions, tomatoes and the special herb and spice mix (berbere). Swiss beer seemed the best thing to drink with the meal, though wine is available. By Geneva standards the food here is reasonably priced.

A real revelation. I'd never eaten Eritrean food before, but it was a taste sensation. It may not look much from the outside, but go inside and you will enjoy a good meal.