“Rasoi (Kitchen) went down in Aag (Flames)”
Review of Rasoi by Vineet

Rasoi by Vineet
Reserve with
Rasoi by Vineet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 1,810 Restaurants in Geneva
Price range: US$52 - US$87
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Saint-Gervais Temple
Transit: The main bus hub is located place Bel-Air, 5 min walking distance.
Description: As the first fine dining Indian restaurant in Geneva, Rasoi by Vineet offers a delectable journey into the world of contemporary Indian cuisine. Created by renowned chef Vineet Bhatia, Rasoi by Vineet is a sister to Rasoi in London, Bhatia's first and most famous restaurant. Inspired by traditional Indian cookery, Bhatia uses his imagination to blend flavours and textures in a uniquely modern way. To complement the innovative cuisine, we've provided an equally imaginative backdrop. Offering a modern interpretation of traditional Indian style, the decor uses vibrant reds and sleek blacks to create a dramatic interior. A large tandoor oven finished in sleek granite provides the stunning centrepiece to the room.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Please visit my blog @ http://zaiikasyumyums.blogspot.ch/ to see pictures and other posts.

I have been procrastinating with this post. I was sure that I was going to write this as soon as I could get my hands on a PC - I was that upset coming out of Rasoi. Think about it..I'm an Indian, living in Switzerland, for more than 14 years now, so naturally, I am totally obsessed with Indian food (or just "food" to me). Growing up, living in Lagos, Nigeria (that's a different story for another day) in a family that owns hotels and restaurants, I was constantly surrounded by absolutely gorgeous food. Almost every Sunday, we would go to the hotel for Indian brunch. As soon as the lift opened, I was quickly intoxicated by scents from the tandoor oven - fresh naans, Tandoori chicken, kebabs, down to lamb Vindaloo, chicken Khadai and Paneer Bhurji.

My "must go" place was Rasoi, the crown jewel at the Mandarin Oriental. I had heard about it from friends, often walked past the restaurant glancing at the menu telling myself "ooh I need to try that. Wow ! that sound amazing." etc etc etc.

So, on my second wedding anniversary, my husband and I booked the restaurant. I was so excited to taste those avant garde flavours, combining oriental spices with western classics - I just couldn't wait but I needed to save up - afterall, its a michelin star!

Going in, I thought, "what a beautiful restaurant, wonderful decor, warm rich brown and gold colours" (what can I say - you get into the mood). The waitress had a warm smile while handing us the menus then left it to us. We had the choice between "à la carte" traditional dishes or try their 7 course "Menu Gourmand" - which we both went for. Might I add, I had absolutely no intention of reveiwing this restaurant, thus was my blind faith in a michelin star establishment, and ofcourse, I was going to have a romantic dinner with my wonderful husband.

"Menu Gourmand" at Rasoi, by Vineet Bhatia, The Mandarin Oriental, Geneva

Alas! As Adele's sorrows inspired her to write tragic love songs, horrible food inspired me to write sonnets of despair. So here I go:

The "Amuse bouche" was "Spiced Deep Fried Cauliflower". The over kill of the garam masala not only numbed my tastebuds but left me bemused. Obviously such strong flavours right from the start completely ruined the effect of the second course - "Banana Wrapped Slow Cooked Cod with a Black Olive Tapenade on a Bed of Spiced Lentils." Either my tranquilised tongue couldn't taste the salt...or the chef was going through a divorce and therefore blamed it on my cod. Although it was cooked to perfection, the tapenade tasted of, for lack of a better word, nothing, and the only thing "spiced" about the lentils was green chilli.

Ofcourse I ordered my favorite "Cheese & Chilli"naan with my next course. If done to perfection, cheese dotted with green chilli oozes when you tear into it. Boy was I wrong on this one. Gruyère cheese had been used . From the waxy yellow look of it (you know the one that you see in American Mac n Cheese commercials), it seemed like a mature Gruyère, which completely overpowered the green chilli.

Along came my third course - "Sambar Podi Crusted Char Grilled Lobster, with a Coconut Lime Sauce and Coriander Oil" This was actually quite perfect. Once again the lobster was cooked to perfection as the natural sweetness of the meat blended perfectly with the eye beans. The coconut lime had a hint of lemon grass and just enough chilli to warm your lips - Bravo to the chef manning the fish station! Truly a delight.

Next we were graced by the humble chicken in the style of " Baby Chicken Achari Roast with Lemon Mint Khichidi, Braised Chicken Jus, Preserved Lemon." Yes, again the chicken was "tandoored" to perfection. You could taste the ginger, garlic, and chilli while it melted in your mouth. Although the lemon mint khichidi was a little heavy on the ginger, the thinly sliced preserved lemon balanced the heat. That being said. once agian, the spices completely overpowerd the lemon dip.

After the semi-onslaut of spice abused meats, I was given a short but delightful reprieve in the form of an "Orange Sorbet, Basil Mojito" palate cleanser. This little number was a "wow" moment of the meal so far. It tasted every bit as divine as it looked. Basil jello pearls and all! A truly "Heston" moment.

You know what they say "the calm before the storm". Up until this moment - I had been keeping mental notes of each dish. However, the fourth course was such an abomination that my brain couldn't contain the rush of vile comments that swept in, which is why I had to ask for some paper. Armed with my pen and my severely insulted tongue I started to write furiously. "Lamb Raan Roulade, Beetroot Upma and Cinamon Jus." It arrived at our table escorted by our waitress and two accompanying "guards" Honestly..I thought there was a secret gift made of diamonds, what with the grand enterance it made.

They placed the perfectly cooked fig and pistachio stuffed lamb infront of me contrasted by the vibrant magenta coloured upma and then poured a test-tube , yes! A TEST TUBE of brown sauce , onto it - the cinamon "jus". The first bite of this divine looking dish completely shattered any illusions I had. There was so much cinamon, I had to ask for an additional bottle of water. It had completely dehydrated my palate. Although I had managed to scrape aside quite a bit of that cinamon poison and tasted the wonderful upma, the damage had already been done. The bitterness of cinamon at the back of my throat had murdered my appetite and good mood.

Pissed off from the cinamon induced heart-burn. I was fully ready for some desert to bring my mouth back to life. Queue in the "Cranberry-Gianduja Phirni, Warm Mandarin-Chestnut Ravioli." Utterly defeated from the previous course, the desert, which looked like it had been stolen from the table of the Gods left me utterly confused. The phirni itself was okay, the chestnut didn't go with the mandarin at all. it just tasted like a mess.

To summarize ,both my husband and I were completely deflated after this meal. What was supposed to be a romantic sumptious meal ended up being a circus act with smokes and mirros, contorted expressions from me and cringing at the bill. Although the service was impeccable and food was presented beautifully, it felt like a "trying too hard" resto and we aren't going back.

Even the little bribe of complementary home made chocolates (the waitress had seen me taking notes) did not deter me from sighing with dissappointment. Can you belive it?! Chocolate didnt make me feel better - That is a first!

6  Thank FoodbyNCK
MOGVA, General Manager at Rasoi by Vineet, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear nidhisc,
We are very sorry to read that you seemed to have had a disappointing culinary experience at Rasoi by Vineet. While our Gourmand Menu is constantly being revisited and our Chef strives to create a perfect balance in his Fusion recipes, we do understand the level of expectations you had, due to your gastronomic background, and we appreciate your detailed feedback and observations. Rest assured that our Chef and Rasoi's creator, Vineet Bhatia himself, have taken good notes of the above as it will allow them to work on more refined recipes accordingly. Thank you again for sharing your detailed feedback with us and we do hope to have another chance to welcome you back at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

If you like excellent food, this is the place. If you like asian or spesificly Indian, this is the prime spot to be.
This restaurant has 1 Michelin star and is the only Indian michelin restaurant in the world. The location is in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Geneva and had a very delicat atmosphere, the staff are very service minded and the food are excellent.
We had a starter of mixed sorts, from scallops to chicken to lamb, with different sauces etc. The main where also chicken with caramelised sauce with nuts and rice. There are 5,6 starters to choose from and around 5 mains. The service was great, with up to 3 waiters at the time serving you. I would definitly go back one day.

1  Thank gobystolsvik
MOGVA, General Manager at Rasoi by Vineet, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Stoelsvik,
My team and I would like to thank you so much for your very kind feedback about our restaurant Rasoi. It is a sincere pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our Michelin-starred Indian cuisine and its variety. Many thanks for recommending Rasoi by Vineet and we will be delighted to welcome you back, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been to Geneva many times and always wanted the ultimate dining experience. Rasoi was recommended and I would say this was by far the best dining experience in years.My husband and I had the Spice trail menu and we were transformed into the exotic world of spices. Each dish that came to the table was meticulously prepared and presented. The wines that went with each dish were perfectly recommended by the sommelier...its a pity I do not recall his name. Whilst the menu described clearly what each dish had when they arrived it was like a surprise.Kudos to the Chef for creating magic from an age old cuisine and culture.We left with a great after taste and a feeling of great positivity! Good food and wine does that to you. Whenever we return to Geneva which is often this will be first on out list for lunch and dinner, how we wished they opened for breakfast too!

1  Thank AnjaBenLee

Dear AnjaBenLee,
I am so very pleased by such a detailed and positive comment, a million thanks for sharing it with us and the online gourmets community ! Our Rasoi team and I are extremely delghted that you had a wonderful experience with our Spice Trail menu and service. It was also a pleasure for Fabien, our Sommelier, to recommend the best fitting wines for your dishes and together with his colleagues, they are already looking forward to welcoming you back and surprising you even more for your next visit to Rasoi by Vineet.
Best Oriental regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Chose the Rasoi to end a busy day with an early dinner: Well aware about the *, expectations were high, and to a large extent met. Only a small hick-up: One in our party asked for the vegetarian menu and ordered à la carte from it, yet the amuse-bouche wasn't.
Otherwise very friendly, professional and quick service. Excellent food which was very well balanced quantity-wise. Comprehensive wine list - Don't hesitate to ask for the sommelier to match one to the dishes.
Already looking forward to a next visit!

Dear aferret,
Thank you so much for a lovely and detailed feedback. My team and I are very pleased to read that you had an excellent gastronomic experience and we would like to thank you for having pointed out the non-vegetarian amuse-bouche item. We are very sorry for this misunderstanding and our team will make sure this type of issue does not happen again in the future. We are also already looking forward to welcoming you back to Rasoi by Vineet.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Four of us had a really good meal there on Saturday night in early March. Lovely setting and great service.Its a personal view but some of the dishes seem to have lost too much of their origins. For example our lamb main course was almost what we would get in a European style restaurant. Needed more spices!! The spicier dishes were much better and the lobster was really good.

Dear Johnzbath,
Many thanks for sharing your kind feedback about your recent gastronomic experience at Rasoi by Vineet. We are delighted that you enjoyed our setting and service. On the other hand, we are sorry that you found some of the dishes to be too European-style. I have taken note of this comment and passed it on to our kitchen team who will definitely take it into consideration. It is a pleasure to learn that you really liked our lobster signature dish and we hope to welcome you and your friends back soon at Rasoi by Vineet.
Sincerely yours,