“Generous amount of fondue for two”
Review of Au Petit Chalet

Au Petit Chalet
Ranked #45 of 1,743 Restaurants in Geneva
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Cornavin
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Boyfriend and I were recommended to try out this restaurant as it is well known for the best Fondue in Geneva.We ordered the basic cheese fondue for two CHF23 per person and 2 glasses of the swiss gamay wine which I thoroughly recommend for wine lovers out there!!The portion was quite alot and we were not able to finish it.The bread was dry and the cheese had abit too much wine in it but overall very delicious,friendly staff and the restaurant has a cosy yet welcoming atmosphere.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Went here with my boyfriend when we trying to find somewhere reasonably priced for food (very hard in Geneva, food prices are extortionate, and I have travelled to Japan and live close to London!) We both had the basic cheese fondue (23CHF each) and two pints of the local beer (8CHF each), wine seemed again to be overpriced. We also had one side of new boiled potatoes. The waiter was friendly, the food arrived quickly and the portion was huge! We really struggled to finish it and left loads of the bread! Not sure if it was the best fondue in the world, as I've only had homemade versions in the past, but it did taste quite sharp and winey and was quite sickly in the end! All in all, a nice place, but not sure if I'd go back!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

During the past six month I ate almost every week once Au petit chalet.

They serve quite good entrecotes. You can ask to exchange the fries for vegetables
They have Appenzeller Bier (very hard to get in Geneva)
Service is quite quick and reliable
Quality and value for money is on the better side given you are in Geneva.

Only if you arrive bit later (around 0830pm) all the large tourist groups are gone and you can enjoy your dinner without any bothering from neighbouring tables
Au petit chalet can horribly smell as large tourist group may order tons of fondue

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We should have known to avoid this place when we saw the menu was offering food from at least three different cultures (Swiss, French, Italian, etc.). But the number of patrons inside threw us off, so we went in and ordered a beef steak and panfried fish fillet.

The beef steak...
The restaurant used a cheap cut of steak (perhaps what Swiss expect when they fork out SFR25 for steak), and there was a lot of bleed onto the plate - this is easily avoided and was indication to us (at least) that the restaurant didn't know how to properly cook beef rare. This came with factory made chips and limp salad, which we poked at.

The fish fillets...
There were several problems with this:
1) Fish fillet should not have bones. I spat out about 8 fishbones by the halfway mark
2) There was a major layer of oil sitting under the fillets, and no amount of lemon squeezing would rid the fillets of the greasy taste
3) Probably because of the enthusiastic oil frying, the fish was overcooked

We got halfway and gave up - it was the worst meal we'd had in a month of travelling in Europe.

Perhaps we shouldn't have ordered what we ordered. But looking at what the other patrons were eating, it was safe to say that we've had much better food elsewhere. So stay away if you don't want your taste buds to be scarred...

1  Thank Qished
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Have been visting the restaurant for some years. It has expanded, got more commercial and, in my opinion, has started to decline. My latest visit reinforced my opinion - food was distinctly average. It's a shame.