“Unimpressed, Sophomoric, Lack of Attention to Detail...Beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel d'Angleterre

Hotel d'Angleterre
Ranked #2 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
GreenLeadersGold level
Alabama
“Unimpressed, Sophomoric, Lack of Attention to Detail...Beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

The Hotel D'angleterre is outwardly the epitome of European style and class. My family and I have stayed at many of the world's best hotels, and D'angleterre is certainly competitive in regards to amenities and ambiance. It is in a convenient and scenic location on Lake Geneva, within walking distance to many of the city's sights.

However, as nice as the hotel appears, there were so many problems with our stay that I can not possibly leave them a positive review. Allow me to explain.

1. We asked for directions from the airport to the hotel and were given very bad directions that took us an hour and a half greatly out of our way and caused us to incur expensive railway ticket charges. This was easily avoidable, but the hotel employee was careless and so we were very much put out. As upsetting as this was, it was the hotel desk clerk who made the situation worse. I politely explained what had happened and all he wanted to do was to argue with me while ignoring my concerns. I received no apology and this was disappointing. (I called the manager about the issue and he was kind enough to offer free drinks, but still no actual apology).

2. I found the food service to be spotty and inconsistent. Dinner at the Windows restaurant was delightful, but at breakfast we had two orders come to our table incorrectly (eggs cooked poorly and with the wrong accompaniments). We also ordered ice to the room and it never came, which was puzzling.

3. We found ourselves unfortunately stuck in the elevator and was forced to use the buzzer to call for assistance. Why did the elevator malfunction? I have no clue, but the hotel employee seemed to think it was my fault, which was crazy but sort of sums up this hotels attitude towards their guests.

4. We prepaid for the hotel before we arrived, but upon check out the desk clerk presented us with a bill for our stay. I had to explain and spell out to the person why I should not have a bill. It was eventually fixed, but it is this complete lack of attention to detail that one does not expect to see at a hotel of this caliber.

5. The shower was malfunction when we arrived and we had to wait while it was being fixed. We were not offered a different room, we simply had to wait around while the repairman fixed the issue.

6. Last but not least, they had the audacity to attempt to charge me for taxes that I had indeed prepaid at the time of booking. My booking confirmation form said clearly "taxes prepaid." I was however presented with a bill for taxes, to which I presented my receipt showing that they were included to which he said "no, you have to pay these taxes." He said that I prepaid for the VAT tax, which is a ridiculous statement. As anyone who has spent any time in Europe knows, VAT is always included, it is never separate. He was attempting to gloss over the issue by telling me anything to get me out of the lobby, instead of honoring the terms of the booking. I called the travel agency whom I booked the hotel through and they said that I had prepaid the taxes and deserved a refund. They sent a letter to to D'Angleterre stating the same, but predictably D'Angleterre told them no, that I would not be getting my taxes back. So, even though taxes were included at the time of booking I was forced to pay for them again. Of course, this is a matter of principle and not actually about the money. However it is frustrating to deal with a hotel that makes up the rules as it goes along regardless of the price paid at the time of booking.

So, all in all, this hotel was a great disappointment. With attitude such as theirs, I have absolutely no idea how they achieved a high Tripadvisor rating in the first place. I understand that things do go wrong and that a hotel can not be perfect every time. Things happen, that's life. What amazes me about this hotel is that the things that they had control over, they would not help me with. All that I wanted in each of these cases was an apology, but they were to proud. If the hotel responds to this Tripadvisor review I can only imagine how arrogant it will sound. When I was making my complaints at the hotel in no instance did I ask for or expect anything more than an apology (except for the taxes, which I do intend to get back before things are done with).

Next time we are in Geneva we will be staying at the Four Seasons where I know that if issues arise they are handled with professionalism and care. We've stayed at many Four Reasons properties and have never had a single problem; we should have done so this time. Thank you for your time.

18 Thank Lawbooks01
Jean-Vital D, Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding the style and the location of our hotel.

I was really disappointed to learn that we have not been able to meet your expectations and that you have not had the desired empathy from our staff.

Be sure that I am highly concerned by every single of your comments and take them very seriously. I have personally already started dealing with some of the issues you have raised to ensure this will not happen twice.

Our aim at the Hotel d’Angleterre is to provide the best experience and ensure all of our guests leave with great memories of their stay. I will get in touch with you to discuss with you and see if you would consider giving us a second chance to prove how important happy guests are to us.

Respectful regards.

Jean-Vital Domézon
Deputy Manager
jvdomezon@rchmail.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

From the moment we arrived every member of the staff knew our names and no task was too difficult - the concierge even walked us to the lake steamer to make sure that we got on the right one! The room was excellent and the location is superb with a great view of the lake and an easy walk to the left bank. (there are also free watertaxis right opposite the hotel) As the hotel is small it has the feeling of a home away from home and the staff take great care of every guest. You will not regret staying here. The Leopard Bar is fun and very busy after 9pm often with live music.

Room Tip: we had a side room with a balcony and had a great view of the jet so a lake facing room is not a mus...
1 Thank susanne h
MInneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

We just returned from a one week trip through the Berner Oberland by way of Geneva, and our stay at the Angleterre was the icing on the cake. This hotel is spectacular, from the convient address-across from the lake and many restaurants, to the well appointed rooms, and great service, really pleasant staff. The beds were very comfy and felt great after a week of hiking in the Alps. My only regret is that we didn't know what we were missing and could easily have stayed longer. We will be sure to return.

1 Thank LaurieAZ
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

A small boutique hotel with excellent service, extremely friendly staff and a very knowledgeable concierge team. Rooms are comfortable and include free internet access. Breakfast is served in Windows restaurant, which has amazing views of the Jet d'eau and offers a wide choice of food both buffet and a la carte along with juices and even champagne. In the evening the hotel bar, The Leopard Room is not to be missed even if just to check out the decor! It can get quite busy later but hotel guests get priortity for tables and there is also live music.

With regards to the location, the hotel is just across from the lake and hotel guests can get free tickets from reception to use on the yellow water taxi's to cross to the opposite side.

For families, the botanical gardens are around ten minutes walk away and are a good place to take children. There is also a small train which stops near the hotel entrance and goes along the lakeside regularly.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and Geneva as a destination to anyone travelling to Switzerland.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nikki D
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Wow! This place is so so fancy! I just loved it. It is really so so very special and you can see why it is 5*. Our room was probably one of the smaller ones but it was perfect and the staff were so professional and amazing. It is very expensive (for me anyway!) but as a treat - it is worth it - I loved it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank totallyali
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We went to this hotel to celebrate my birthday. We had a really wonderful time the staff were extremely attentive and very helpful. In the evening at dinner they brought in a wonderful birthday cake with a giant sparkler on top it was so delightful and the waitress sang happy birthday to me. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank firestone163
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

My spouse and I spent one night at the D'Angleterre after a hiking trip in the French Alps. Prior to our arrival, we received an email that welcomed us in advance and asked us to fill out a short questionnaire to ensure that any preferences we had could be accommodated - a very nice/professional touch. We received a very warm greeting upon our arrival at the hotel, check in was seemless and the desk clerk gave us a tour of our upgraded room, where we found some fruit and a few sweets waiting for us. The bathroom was spacious. Turn down service included lit tea candles in the bathroom. The room was very quiet, which ensured a deep sleep. The room was immaculately clean. The decor can be described as 'masculine'. We had a number of requests - an early wake up call, reservations at a restaurant that could accommodate my spouse's specific dietary preferences, a taxi, a premier chocolate shop, etc. All these were dealt with very efficiently by desk staff. The location of the hotel is ideal - right on the lake, very close to the jeu d'eau, within a short walking distance (about 12 mins) from the train station, close to the designer shops and also a short walk to the old town (no need for a taxi to and from the train station). If you need to get to the airport, you can take a train from the train station for about 3 euro - most, if not all trains stop at the airport. It is also a close walk to the bus station (if you need to get to certain destinations that are serviced by bus). The hotel is a member of Leading Hotels of the World and that designation is very well earned. This hotel is not cheap - in fact, Switzerland is quite expensive in general, but I consider that this is money well spent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple