The Hotel D'angleterre is outwardly the epitome of European style and class. My family and I have stayed at many of the world's best hotels, and D'angleterre is certainly competitive in regards to amenities and ambiance. It is in a convenient and scenic location on Lake Geneva, within walking distance to many of the city's sights.
However, as nice as the hotel appears, there were so many problems with our stay that I can not possibly leave them a positive review. Allow me to explain.
1. We asked for directions from the airport to the hotel and were given very bad directions that took us an hour and a half greatly out of our way and caused us to incur expensive railway ticket charges. This was easily avoidable, but the hotel employee was careless and so we were very much put out. As upsetting as this was, it was the hotel desk clerk who made the situation worse. I politely explained what had happened and all he wanted to do was to argue with me while ignoring my concerns. I received no apology and this was disappointing. (I called the manager about the issue and he was kind enough to offer free drinks, but still no actual apology).
2. I found the food service to be spotty and inconsistent. Dinner at the Windows restaurant was delightful, but at breakfast we had two orders come to our table incorrectly (eggs cooked poorly and with the wrong accompaniments). We also ordered ice to the room and it never came, which was puzzling.
3. We found ourselves unfortunately stuck in the elevator and was forced to use the buzzer to call for assistance. Why did the elevator malfunction? I have no clue, but the hotel employee seemed to think it was my fault, which was crazy but sort of sums up this hotels attitude towards their guests.
4. We prepaid for the hotel before we arrived, but upon check out the desk clerk presented us with a bill for our stay. I had to explain and spell out to the person why I should not have a bill. It was eventually fixed, but it is this complete lack of attention to detail that one does not expect to see at a hotel of this caliber.
5. The shower was malfunction when we arrived and we had to wait while it was being fixed. We were not offered a different room, we simply had to wait around while the repairman fixed the issue.
6. Last but not least, they had the audacity to attempt to charge me for taxes that I had indeed prepaid at the time of booking. My booking confirmation form said clearly "taxes prepaid." I was however presented with a bill for taxes, to which I presented my receipt showing that they were included to which he said "no, you have to pay these taxes." He said that I prepaid for the VAT tax, which is a ridiculous statement. As anyone who has spent any time in Europe knows, VAT is always included, it is never separate. He was attempting to gloss over the issue by telling me anything to get me out of the lobby, instead of honoring the terms of the booking. I called the travel agency whom I booked the hotel through and they said that I had prepaid the taxes and deserved a refund. They sent a letter to to D'Angleterre stating the same, but predictably D'Angleterre told them no, that I would not be getting my taxes back. So, even though taxes were included at the time of booking I was forced to pay for them again. Of course, this is a matter of principle and not actually about the money. However it is frustrating to deal with a hotel that makes up the rules as it goes along regardless of the price paid at the time of booking.
So, all in all, this hotel was a great disappointment. With attitude such as theirs, I have absolutely no idea how they achieved a high Tripadvisor rating in the first place. I understand that things do go wrong and that a hotel can not be perfect every time. Things happen, that's life. What amazes me about this hotel is that the things that they had control over, they would not help me with. All that I wanted in each of these cases was an apology, but they were to proud. If the hotel responds to this Tripadvisor review I can only imagine how arrogant it will sound. When I was making my complaints at the hotel in no instance did I ask for or expect anything more than an apology (except for the taxes, which I do intend to get back before things are done with).
Next time we are in Geneva we will be staying at the Four Seasons where I know that if issues arise they are handled with professionalism and care. We've stayed at many Four Reasons properties and have never had a single problem; we should have done so this time. Thank you for your time.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel d'Angleterre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel d Angleterre
- d Angleterre Hotel Geneva