“Delightful D'angleterre”

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delightful D'angleterre”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel on Sunday the 30th of October for one night. I had a meeting in Geneva on the Monday and as it was Mothers Day on the Sunday my daughter came with me.
We were greeted when we arrived at the hotel like royalty, even the manager was there to greet us. We arrived early as we had a very early flight and we were shown to our room straight away which was wonderful. All the staff during our stay couldn't of been more helpful or attentive. The service was second to none.
The room was beautiful with everything you could wish for in it. The Penhaligans products in the bathroom were wonderful and something you don't normally see in hotels.
The location is perfect and its location makes it accessible to everywhere in Geneva.
In the evening we had a drink in the Leopard bar after we had eaten and the drinks, snacks ( of which there were many) and service was fabulous.
The breakfast the next day was also good with a nice selection of cold breakfast items and a good freshly cooked breakfast as well.
The only downside to this hotel is the price. Its very expensive, however everywhere in Geneva is expensive.
This hotel definitely deserves it 5 star rating.
If or when I return to Geneva I would stay here again and will recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a lake view as we had a standard room. I think these would be the bes...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is a colonial-style boutique hotel whose owners have not spared any effort in ensuring the best fixtures,fittings and paintings in decorating the hotel.
Located beside Lake Geneva, half the rooms face the lake and therefore at a premium price.
As noted by others, staff have been trained to know guests by name and are customer-focused.
We signed for the room and dinner package and were happy with the 3-course dinner provided at the inhouse Windows restaurant ..the food is gourmet class.
Downstairs,in the bar there is usually live music provided by the resident jazz band featuring a classy lady jazz singer.
Would definitely return.

1 Thank DoctorBakar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This place is expensive (but Ibis will set you back ~£180 a night), but worth every penny. The hotel manager Jean-Vittal and his team are fantastic!!!! They all know your name, which is nice. Although my wife found it a little too much every time you enter everyone asks how you are.

Location is perfect!!! You can walk from the main train station in 10mins, but is a million miles away from the run down area by the station. You can walk all around the main parts of Geneva from the hotel.

The hotel has a fantastic bar, with the best service we have ever received in a bar!

Penhaligons bathroom products!!!

1 Thank Kewal B
Molde, Norway
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We went too Geneva in March 2014 and we want to stay at 5 star hotel . This hotel is some of the most fantastic hotel we have stay on,,even If we have been round the word,,and lot of 5 ,7 star hotels .
Everyone at this hotel try their best to make our stay wonderful ,, the whole staff was great and the night club have very good entertainment and service .

Love to go back

Room Tip: If you stay in centre of town,,there will be some noise from traffic, but it was no problem when you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Truly one of the most unique and interesting hotels in the geneva area. You wont find another that has the location and the reputation like the d Angleterre. Sure there are many but this one has the whole package in terms of service and hotel facilities.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fernanda p
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had stayed at the Hotel d'Angleterre for four nights in October, 2013. I was travelling alone and had selected a single room with a queen-sized bed. The hotel is right on the edge of Lake Geneva, separate from the water by only a road and the waterfront promenade.

While the five days I spent at the d'Angleterre were indeed delightful, it was not without some hiccups--although these were definitely very few, only two I consider major.

1 - I was quite surprised that there was no porter at the entrance of the hotel when I arrived. I exited the taxi, got my bag, and did not meet a member of the staff until I had actually got into the lobby where I was then warmly welcomed.

2 - There was a function on the third evening of my stay, an anniversary of sorts. In the afternoon, I had passed through the lobby while they were setting up for the event and encountered a man who was giving out instructions for the set-up. He greeted me. I identified him as a member of the staff by the tag he wore (although I was not close enough to get a name) and then enquired about the weather and--I am going to put this down to simple miscommunication--he directed me outside in rather abrupt manner, in the sort of way one might address another who was impeding the rearrangement of the lobby area. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised at the brush-off.

Of lesser consequence... I wished there was more than one bottle of water dispensed every morning and evening as I do consume copious amounts, but it is no huge complaint. I was also rather confounded by the lack of a toothbrush kit in an otherwise generous supply of toiletries. Travelling with only a carry-on and flying through Heathrow is vexatious on both mood and personal toiletries allowances, so I had expected a toothbrush kit as I do receive from every other five-star establishment I've stayed at.

All the above grievances seem very trivial in time, but as the rest of my stay was about as exceptional as exceptional can be when it comes to hotel experiences, they stood out very starkly. And... I do mean it when I say that my experience at the Hotel d'Angleterre was exceptional.

The room size is certainly nothing to boast about, nor is the rather compact bathroom, but everything else makes up for it. Within the afternoon of my arrival, the reception staff had began to address me by name, and everything about my encounters with various hotel employees (barring the incident cited earlier) exceeded my personal service expectations. Politeness, consideration, and smiles were to be found on everyone I could make eye contact with.

The room was very beautifully decorated and very clean. I adored the thoughtful touches like a personalised welcome message on the television screen and an umbrella being provided for use.

The lush towels on heated towel rails and the fluffy bathrobes were certainly appreciated. I had the option of having breakfast downstairs in Windows or in my room and I did both on alternating days. They were all generous portioned and wonderful.

The location of the hotel is truly remarkable and I found it very easy to visit wherever it was I wanted to go, whether on foot or by public transport. Some other reviews on TripAdvisor had mentioned unfavourable points regarding the surrounding neighbourhood, but as a single female and a comparatively diminutive and obviously non-European visitor, I did not feel at any point threatened by the quiet lanes I explored during my many rounds about it on foot.

That said, what truly sets Hotel d'Angleterre apart from almost all the hotels I have stayed at is the calibre of service rendered by its staff. They all seem very dedicated to their role in making the guests as comfortable and satisfied as possible. I cannot emphasise or praise this aspect of d'Angleterre any more than I repeatedly have. I was undoubtedly impressed.

Apart from two breakfasts, I dined at the Windows restaurant twice, once in the late-afternoon and once for dinner, and I thoroughly enjoyed both the food and service on all occasions. As a food lover, I still tell of my experience at Windows today.

At the end of my stay, I had laughingly promised the attending reception staff that I would be back some time... and I certainly do intend to. This is about as perfect as it gets.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sclt
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night after arriving at Geneva airport and travelling onward the next day. Used the hotel's taxi service as the flight into Geneva was pretty late. The taxi (more of a limo service) was excellent. On arrival, the staff were very attentive and nothing seemed like too much trouble. Our room had a small window that overlooked the lake. Could not really ask for much more in terms of the view. The room itself was excellent - a huge bathroom and a huge bed and everything was just as it should be.

The only problem was the noise. Revellers returned to rooms adjacent to us at 4:30 in the morning. This is clearly nothing the hotel can control, but really dampened our experience. We would probably try this one again, but being bleary-eyed after a nights stay is not something that we usually look for!