“Fantastique!”
Review of Hotel Les Armures

Hotel Les Armures
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here for business recently. What a lovely hotel in an amazing area right in the centre of the old town.

Check in was fast and the staff were very friendly. I loved how the maid would iron my shirts for me which was much needed after a long day of travelling.

The breakfast is great - such a nice selection on the buffet and it is a good way to start the day. The coffee also tastes amazing which is a plus point in my book!

The rooms are nice and well equipped and kept spotlessly clean.

Looking forward to my next trip there.....in a week!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stewart C
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank You very much for the great review!

I am thrilled to learn that our team has taken very good care of you, especially the maid who has ironed quickly your shirts.

I hope to meet you next week at "Les Armures"!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 21 April 2013

The Hotel des Armures is nicely located and has nice renovated rooms. The problem is that the level of service has deteriorated.
When checking in, ask for a room not above the restaurant or keep your window shut because the waiters and dishwashers are getting out regularly to smoke a cigarette and don't mind doing that just bellow your room (day and night).
The fact the client is not recognised anymore as in the good old days of this hotel is shown by the fact you are not even asked by the receptionist when checking out if you enjoyed your stay.
So to summarise, the new generation of owners of the hotel does not pay the same attention to the servicing level compared to the previous one.
Furthermore, the hotel is very much overpriced. The price of the room (nowadays excluding breakfast) is well above the value you get for it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank keentraveller92

Dear Sir,
It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the design of our rooms and the location of our hotel, in the hearth of the Old City.
I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion you were disturbed by the smokers in the street. Thank you for all of your comments and constructive feedback, it really helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we need to improve.
Once again, I am sorry that the disturbance you encountered on this occasion has marred your opinion of us and do hope sometime in the future you may give us another try and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
With my best regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This is located in the old town and refurbished recently. The decor was very nice and the room extremely well equipped: it had both sofa and a nice sitting area round a table, which made it extremely relaxing. We had a partial view of the lake too. The staff were excellent in advance of our stay, booking a nice restaurant (La Gondola on Rue des Barques) for us and holding our bags for the day. Two slight quibbles: having stayed previously at the Hotel de la Paix, this was definitely better (though the Hotel de la Paix is very good). However, we felt that the welcome drink of juice you get at the Hotel de la Paix is a really nice touch, as are the tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the free bottled water. It would be nice to see this at the Hotel les Armures. The breakfast here is exceptional though, much the best we've had in Geneva. Strongly recommend.

Room Tip: Higher up means less nighttime street noise (not that there is that much in Geneva old town).
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jen241
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank You very much for the great review!

I sincerely appreciate your comment as “Les Armures” is an exceptional establishment, hidden away from the hectic streets of Geneva; it is a “home away from home” for many.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the intimate ambience of our rooms; we have taken time and care into creating spaces which reflect our contemporary design (we like to mix old and new) but also remain warm and welcoming.

I am thrilled to learn that our team has taken very good care of you. Your feedback is therefore incredibly motivating and I know the entire team will appreciate your kind words when I share it with them.

We do hope that we will welcome you again soon at “Les Armures”.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on three occasions now, each time traveling with two adults and three small children in our party. We stayed in a junior suite with connecting extra room.

The hotel is a beautiful very old building in the old town, which is a very interesting part of the city to stay. At the same time the hotel is literally only a few steps to to main shopping streets of Geneva including Rue de Rhone.

The rooms are very well appointed. There are no suites as such. the largest room available is a junior suite. However the bathrooms are the best equipped of any hotel bathroom we have every seen.

We have had examples of exceptional service at this hotel. On one occasion, arriving late in the evening I mentioned to the porter that fir the following day I needed to know the location of a bike shop to fix a flat tyre in our pram. By first thing the following morning the porter had himself fixed the flat tyre. This was very impressive.

The buffet breakfast served in breakfast room is also excellent.

Our most recent visit was marred somewhat by the presence of a rather surly young female receptionist. But that is really the only criticism of the hotel I could make. If they were sensible they would move her on.

Overall, very comfortable, great location and reasonable value in what is admittedly a rather expensive city for hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the “Les Armures” Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel cosy & homely.
I was absolutely pleased that you enjoyed the great service you received from our Concierge department, especially the porter who repaired your pram.
I have passed on your kind words to the team here and I hope that we get to meet your expectations once again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed here for two days before heading to Val d'Isere (to nurse our jet lag before skiing, since we are from the US).

The location of this hotel is fantastic. There are not many good hotels in the old city. The hotel is next to the old armory and a church. It is a walk up the hill from downtown, but medieval cites were built on hills.

The room was typical European size, but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom good size.

Really the best thing about this hotel is the location, location, location....also it has a really great restaurant. The fondue was authentic and delicious.

The staff were helpful and courteous. A very pleasant experience all around.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ghasenei
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay at “Les Armures”, in the heart of the Old City.

I am delighted that you enjoyed every part of your stay here and thank you for recommending our restaurant.

We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Geneva,

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Firstly, the service is great. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

But the bedroom was on the small side especially considering the price. The bathroom was spotless,The television ancient and the channel selection was awful (no BBC, only one English speaking channel).

Breakfast no more than OK and charging €5 for a boiled egg is extortion. In fact any hot food is an extra.

Clinton and Clooney stayed here but that was many years ago

My concerns are that despite the excellent location this is not a 5 tar hotel - I expect more luxury.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fabphil
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and your positive feedback about the hotel, in particular the service from our staff.

I am disappointed to read that you had a few problems with your television, especially with English Channels. We will have more than 150 channels in a few days. We value your feedback and let it guide us as we continually look to improve.
I should be happy to assist personally when a future occasion arises for you to visited Geneva,

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My room was lovely, done in understated beige tones and good-quality furniture. The bed was very comfortable. The room was quiet and squeaky-clean. It is however a very small hotel, so the breakfast room is small and the breakfast itself modest, and you hardly ever see any other guests.

The location looks very central (heart of the medieval town) but in fact it is a little hard to get to by car because of the one-way street system, and by foot it is up a hill from the nearby commercial areas. Still, it isn't far from most downtown institutions or areas that one would care to visit on foot.

There was a billing issue that was presented to me at the last minute. I felt that they should have brought it up the night before when I had explicitly asked to settle my bill in full (and did, or so it seemed) and not the next morning at the very moment I needed to dash for the train station. Still, this sort of thing probably doesn't happen often.

If you want a very high-quality room at a significantly lower price than the older, more-famous hotels downtown, then Les Armures is a good choice. Several well-known personalities seem to have chosen it, too (see the elevator interior).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank MannyG2000
mpater, Directeur général at Hotel Les Armures, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your glowing review of Les Armures Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also, it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the design of your room
I am disappointed to read that you had a billing issue upon your departure. I assure you that this kind of mishap is unusual in our house. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of service to all our customers.

We look forward to welcome you again to Les Armures, we remain,