“Great service”

Ranked #5 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
“Great service”
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel, but as in all Geneva hotels it is eye watering lay expensive. If money were no object it would be perfect. However the reality of life is that money does matter and it just costs too much.

Service is impeccable, love the breakfast, the gym is good.

Stay here if you can afford it.

Stayed May 2013
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Anthony P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel, our staff and the gym as well as our buffet breakfast. We concur with your finding that Geneva is an expensive town and when one has to change currencies it is not always in your favor… It is unfortunately beyond the hotel’s control that the Swiss Franc has become so strong. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the not too distant future.
With best regards,
(lwagner@mohg.com)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I visited this hotel several times before, and every time I enjoyed every thing, starting from reception, dinner, room accommodation, breakfast, and checking out services. I stayed every time for business trip, so stayed only a single night or a few, nevertheless, still this is one of my favorite hotels of the world.

This time, there was one more great surprise. I noted a slight negative comment about my experience at a restaurant in a survey, and on the following day, I received an e-mail from GM, and he assured me by remedial measures he was taking. His note was very sincere, and full of personal touch, which impressed me very much.

I was convinced that quality service, consistent attentiveness and responsiveness are the culture of this hotel. I can recommend this hotel to anyone whom I know. Visiting most of the top hotels in main cities in the world, I assure you this is definitely one of the very best!!

1 Thank enj0ylife1007
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear enj0ylife1007,
Our team and myself are all very grateful for your superb feedback, thanks a million for being such a supportive FAN of Mandarin Oriental, Geneva! It is our greatest pleasure to welcome you every time you visit us for business reasons and we are delighted to learn that our friendly service and modern facilities are to your liking. It is true that constant attentiveness and a sincere care for our valued guests are our core principles.
It will be once again for us a delight to welcome you back to your "home away from home".
With kindest regards,
Beirut
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel this past weekend (May 24-26, 2013) on my first trip to Geneva in 21 years! The city was mostly as I remembered it, and the hotel was just as wonderful as the other Mandarin Oriental properties I've visited over the years. I stayed on the newly renovated sixth floor, in the luxurious Mandarin Room, complete with views of the Rhone River. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous (the two concierges who recommended restaurants and museums were top-of-the-line), breakfast at Le Sud restaurant was a real treat and dinner at the hotel's gourmet Indian restaurant Rasoi by Vineet was a memorable experience. The cocktails at the on-site MO Bar were decadent and refined. I recommend this property to anyone visiting Geneva.

Room Tip: Choose the river-view Mandarin Room on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Marvyboy,
My team and I are so grateful for your wonderful feedback about your stay with us. After all these years, it must have been a nice and relaxing experience for you to come back to Geneva and we are proud that our hotel was your “home away from home” during this visit, especially as a Mandarin Oriental FAN. Our Concierges would like to thank you so much for your kind words, they were delighted to recommend the best in town for you. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva.
With kind regards,
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I visit geneva really a lot, almost every summer

The hotel is in perfect location infront of the river and its an easy walk to both sides of the lake, it is as well an easy walk to the shopping area.

The hotel rooms are very comfortable, clean and big, they also provide a lot of connected rooms if you are going as a family, the hotel renewed the decorations and its well decorated.

the staff are nice and services are good.

The lobby is small, but have a excellent indian restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear Besh A,
We are delighted to learn that our hotel is your favorite when visiting Geneva and escaping the heat in your home country. Thank you so much for being such a supportive and loyal FAN. Our location is indeed great. Our renovated rooms and suites were conceived and renewed with an aim to provide the best comfort and convenience for our guests and families. We are delighted to read that you like our Michelin-starred Indian restaurant, Rasoi by Vineet. Thank you for your kind comment on our colleagues who delighted you when staying with us.
NJoenophile
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed two nights at the Mandarin on business. When I arrived in Geneva my luggage did not (Swissair - go figure). The staff at the Mandarin was super helpful in getting me through this situation. Cleaned my suit overnight. Communicated with the airline in search of my luggage. Provided some needed amenities, etc. The staff here just gets it right. Little things like handing you a towel and bottle of water when coming back from a jog. Will definitely make this my go to hotel when traveling to Geneva.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear NJoenophile,
What a pleasure to learn that you had a great stay with us, we would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback on the occasion of your recent stay. Delighting our guests with a friendly yet very professional service and anticipating their needs are our top priorities. It is wonderful to know when this contributes to a most memorable experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the not too distant future and thank you again for your most kind and warm words of praise.
With best regards,
coronado
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stay at the MO Geneva every year or so; although there are some issues (I will get to the header later :-) it is obviously our favorite hotel.

The service is wonderful, from the restaurant to the concierges (a special thanks to Samuel for everything he does for us).

I love the food in the restaurant Le Sud, especially the traditional Swiss lake perch with mashed potatoes and spinach. It was not on the menu this year, but we asked for it and it was made for us. I don't care for the even-more-pricey Indian-influenced food at Rasol, but that is probably just me.

The croute au fromage at the MO bar was, however, nowhere near up to par--very dry.

Last year the hallway to our room was a disgrace for the price and reputation of the hotel--positively seedy, with battered and dirty paint and carpeting, The room was kind of banged up too--although large and with a giant bathroom.

We usually get one of the larger lakeside or side rooms, but they are inevitably afflicted with traffic and other noise despite the heavy windows. This year we asked for one of the smaller rooms on the inside courtyard, hoping for a quiet five nights. It has been nicely renovated and was very quiet for a couple of nights.

Then came a party next door starting about 10.00 pm and continuing for a couple of hours of shrieking and laughing, despite three calls to the front desk.

And the last night....oh dear. We had noticed a small place opposite our window called the Cafe Bizarre, with nothing much happening. But on this one Thursday night they had an outdoor party, shouting and screaming from about 10 pm until at least 2 am. To my great surprise, this being Switzerland, the front desk said that it was permissible to make this kind of public night noise until 2am, that the police could do nothing.

So, when you select a room and want it to be quiet, beware the Cafe Bizarre.

The ratings below average out the poor and good sleeping nights, and the cost is rated average because everything in Geneva is overpriced by American standards.

Room Tip: Avoid any room looking out at the Cafe Bizarre
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear CoronadoCarol,
My team and I would like to thank you for being such a continued loyal FAN of our hotel for so many years and for having shared with us your recent experience at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva. We are very sorry to learn that your stay was troubled this time by a noisy group of guests at the adjacent Café Bizarre, behind the hotel. This is a very unusual situation that you experienced from this bar which does not belong to the hotel. We are sorry to read that this has troubled your experience at our hotel. You may rest assured that we have taken action upon this with the municipality of Geneva to avoid the reoccurrence of incidents of this nature. For your next annual visit we recommend trying our new Mandarin floor on the 6th floor of the hotel.
We have passed on your kind words of praise to Samuel and his team who are very grateful. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Le Sud restaurant, inspired from renowned Paul Bocuse. We will ensure that during your next stay your sleep will not be troubled again and we really look forward to welcoming you back to your most favorite hotel in this part of the world: Mandarin Oriental, Geneva.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Mandarin Oriental is a very nice, high end hotel. The rooms are spacious with modern conveniences and finishes. It is a good mix of old and new. The service is excellent and the food if quite good too. I only had breakfast, but it was delicious.

The hotel is located right on the water so it is very picturesque. It seems a little inaccessible to other attractions because of the long block the hotel sits on but if you venture out you’ll be able to get to some of the shops, etc.

The hotel is on the expensive side so I will probably not make it a habit of staying there, but if you get the chance it is a very good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear NatiBoy,
We are delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us, thank you very much for having taken the time to share your impressions on TripAdvisor. You are right that our spacious rooms, legendary service and ideal location are our hotel's renowned strengths, with a 5 minutes walking distance to Geneva's chicest boutiques and main attractions. During your next visit, we encourage you to try our Michelin starred Indian restaurant "Rasoi". We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.