“Serviceable”

Ranked #5 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Great Falls, Virginia
“Serviceable”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight in Geneva because our daughter was in a basketball tournament there. The Mandarin was comfortable. Did not compare at all to the one in Tokyo where we stayed a few years ago that was fabulous. The gym in Geneva was small, but reasonably outfitted and open 24 hours. That there was no spa was a disappointment, but I should have checked on that before booking. Staff was pleasant, cheerful and polite. Was disappointed that the concierge was not more help in choosing a restaurant. Tried to send me to tourist traps/global chain restaurants that were not at all what I was looking for. Ended up doing some research online myself and chose a Michelin starred restaurant that was good, but did not live up to its online reviews. Felt that with the proper guidance I would have been able to make a better choice (the whole reason for having a concierge).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. I did not and didn't get one though it didn't seem like the hot...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Christie W,
We thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to read that your experience of our Concierge service team did not match your expectations. Our four Concierge colleagues who are all members of Cles d'Or always strive to provide the most accurate and relevant suggestions according to our guests’ gastronomic preferences. In your case, these suggestions included some of Geneva’s finest restaurants, which are mainly visited by locals, and we are sincerely sorry that these were not to your liking and that the Michelin-starred restaurant was not up to your expectations either. We certainly do not send our valued customers to tourist traps.
Once again, we would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your thoughts and we hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva.
With warm regards,
Mandarin Oriental, Geneva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

after i couldn't get a room in four seasons because of some watch show in Geneva i tried to book in Mandarin, i really was impressed by the stuff, room, and service, absolutely worth every penny, stayed for 2 days on the way back to NY, next time will book only there when i'm in Geneva.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Abrakadrabra,
My team and I are extremely grateful for your wonderful comment. Many thanks for having shared your impressions with the travel community. We are honored to know that your stay reached your five star service expectations. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the very near future.
With kindest regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My family and I stopped by Geneva en route to Paris from the Alps. The MO was a perfect hotel that was situated centrally, with tram stops on both ends. Trams are free in Geneva so it is best to request a transport card from the hotel.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel was good but not as good as breakfast buffets available in hotels in Asia which offer an array of breakfast cuisines. However, given that I think the hotel is quite targeted to business travellers, this is expected. The gym is small but has enough equipment and space to do your basic exercises and they even have a fridge with energy drinks + water. There are also spare headphones available but they were quite useless given that they are overhead headphones and not particularly suited to running etc.

The rooms are perfect and are quite spacious with more than enough places to store your luggage. There is also a Nespresso machine in the room which was a nice touch. Housekeeping was also extremely dilligent coming in twice a day and cleaned the rooms very well.

Concierge and bell staff were EXTREMELY helpful and smiley. THey were always attentive to our needs and were patient with the endless questions we asked them.

My only "complaint" (which isnt really complaint) is this weird thing they do with the bill, where they charge you a "deposit" sort of thing which comes up on your credit card when you check in, but isnt really "charged" as the transaction is reversed when you check out and there is no damage etc. This would have been fine, except that when we checked in we weren't told of this and were stunned/concerned when the credit card company texted us re the expenditure. I noticed that other people also had this concern so maybe hotel staff could be more comprehensive in explaining how this is done.

Overall a fantastic hotel though. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nicolecatherineng
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear NicoleCatherineng,

We are delighted to read your positive comments and thank you taking the time to give us such constructive feedback. We are very glad to know that the Mandarin Oriental Geneva was a perfect location for you and your family and that your really liked our bedrooms. Your kind words are a great source of motivation, especially for our colleagues in Housekeeping and at the Concierge desk. I completely agree with your remark regarding the headphones in our gym and we are reviewing this rapidly. Upon arrival, a form of guarantee to the value of the cost of your stay is authorized on the credit card provided. I assure you this is standard practice within hotels however we absolutely should have explained this procedure to you.

Thank you once again for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the Mandarin Oriental Geneva.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Was scheduled for a 3-day trip to Geneva and selected the Mandarin, and I am so thankful I did. Unforeseen business complications resulted in a 14 day stay that was extended in one or two day increments. The entire hotel staff was simply amazing! They were able to keep me in the same room the entire trip. The longer I stayed, the more friendly the staff became and the more I appreciated them. Throughout my stay I typically had the same waiter at breakfast. He often had my tea, fresh fruit plate, pastries and the Financial Times on the table before the maître d' could seat me. Simply, the entire hotel staff was engaging, friendly and professional. It's one thing to stay at a hotel a few days, but it's an entirely different viewpoint to stay in contact with them unexpectedly for 14 days. I had the good fortune to truly observe their performance, and it was in a word brilliant. While Geneva has many fine hotels, I recommend the Geneva Mandarin Oriental to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear TexasEXtraveler,

My team and I are very thankful for your FANtastic comments following your recent extended stay with us. We are extremely proud that your 14 day stay was ‘Simply Outstanding’. Your kind comments are very much appreciated. Anticipating our guests’ needs in terms of small details are primordial and we are delighted to learn that they were successfully implemented.

Thank you for sharing with us your valued feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the not too distant future.

With kindest regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Business brought us to Geneva, but we stayed a few extra days to enjoy the city. From the moment we set foot on the property, everyone was engaging, helpful, patient, and professional. Everyone—from the doorman, to the bell staff, to the front desk and concierge, to the smartly dressed and courteous housekeeping staff—EVERYONE was simply perfect. The concierges were the best ever, and we travel a lot. They were accommodating, creative, attentive, compassionate, patient, and responsive. The hotel was impeccably clean, the rooms richly appointed, service throughout the hotel was grand, food in LeSud and drinks in MO bar were top-notch. The staff really seems to genuinely care and not one detail is missed. The hotel is perfectly situated on Lake Geneva for wonderful views and provides access to great walking and spectacular shopping (boutiques, department store and high-end designer stores) nearby. All in all, a perfect visit at a perfect hotel with perfect staff.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Lake Geneva give you a magical view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank P A
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear P A,
A million thanks for such wonderful feedback following your recent stay. My team and I are extremely grateful and delighted that you enjoyed our renovated rooms with views over the Rhône river, our heart-felt service, genuine care, culinary specialties and our four Clefs D'Or Concierges who interacted with you throughout your stay. It was a pleasure to have you with us and to create a convivial and caring experience for your "home away from home" stay.
We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back to charming Geneva.
Kindest regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed with my mom at this hotel as part of her 75th birthday. From the moment we arrived, we were treated graciously and professionally. Nathalie at the front desk was exceptionally friendly when we checked in and made sure to look after us since we both have health problems. I was impressed by the attitude of the service. No matter what we asked for (and we are high maintenance travellers), their immediate response was "we"ll find a way."

Our room with 2 single beds was very spacious, but for the life of me, I cannot understand was so few European hotels have 2 double beds (at least the ones that are spacious enough to accommodate 2 doubles). One thing that was surprising was the hotel's lack of pool or spa. They have a massage treatment room, but they bring in someone externally. This is the first 5 star hotel I've stayed at without a spa, which would have been nice on a Sunday when there is nothing else to do in the city.

The only person that did not meet our expectations was the day manager. I booked the hotel very last minute, and explained that it was my mother's 75th brithday. When we checked in, the front desk staff indicated that the river facing rooms were all sold out because of an event. But that they would try to move us to a river room the following day. When I went down Saturday morning to check about this, the front desk staff said that this should be possible, but that he had to check with his manager. She came out of the backroom and was the only person we spoke to who was curt, impolite and unprofessional. She immediately said there were no rooms available, despite finding out later on that we were one of the only ones in the hotel Saturday night since Geneva basically shuts down on Sundays. Despite her lack of professionalism, we still very much enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

Big thank you to Damien, Claudio and Mattieu at the concierge desk who helped us with concert tickets and gave great restaurant suggestions.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brianyyz36,
My team and I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share with us your kind feedback. Nathalie, Damien, Claudio and Matthieu are all very grateful for your kind words of appreciation and they were delighted to help you and your mother during your recent stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you had to experience with our Front Office regarding your room move. Addressing our guests the way you mentioned is certainly not part of our service standards and culture. You may rest assured that we have looked into this to avoid the reoccurence of incidents of such nature.
Once again, many thanks for your thoughtful comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.
Sincerely yours,
basel
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Best situated to the city and business center. calm and outstanding service from arrival to departure. Service always with a smile. Excellent service and food in the Restaurant Rooms. Best internet connections, free of charge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear rmclee,
Thank you very much for your kind comment following your stay with us. We are all delighted that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, its service with Oriental charm and our restaurants.
We will be looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Best regards,