“Disappointing”

Ranked #60 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

In what is an expensive city, I still expected more. A tired and dated hotel, under stocked mini bar, the noisiest ( and most ineffective ) air conditioning I think I've ever experienced, and decidedly below average breakfast. Location is of course excellent, and the staff were all pleasant, but I couldn't help coming away feeling somewhat ripped-off.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank xslee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The location is fabulous and the staff attentive. The rooms are very very small and overall the hotel could use an upgrade as is very dated. Access from main train station and airport is easy and there are many restaurants very close by. Afternoon tea or wine at the Fours Seasons is a must to simply people watch!

Room Tip: Facing the lake is best ....
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Aly K
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 September 2012

It is my job to book hotels across Europe and the US and this hotel was one of the most professional hotels I have ever worked with. The service was outstanding! The price was also very reasonable for the location.

I have not given 100% because I thought the rooms could have a fresh coat of paint. the rooms are a good size and the facilities are good however the walls look grubby.

While I have mentioned the paint work i would take another of my corporate groups back in a heart beat.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EventsOrg
Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 July 2012

After a night at hotel in a terrible neighborhood (see my review of the Hotel Edelweiss) we were desperate for something nice in the heart of Geneva and were lucky enough to stumble upon the Hotel Ambassador. This hotel has been a gem of a find. It is right in the heart of town, has lovely accommodations, an incredibly friendly and accommodating staff, and is extremely reasonably priced in a city that is anything but. Yes, the decor is somewhat eclectic and unconventional, but who cares! It has all the amenities you could ever want and we have been thrilled with our experience. As a family of five (with a nanny) we were lucky enough to find two connecting rooms that could accommodate all of us. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Geneva.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank msedaka
california
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Ambassador with my husband. I can't say enough about the Hotel and it's Staff. They were all very helpful with tourist information and helping us make dinner reservations each night. The Staff would do whatever to make our stay memorable.
We had a beautiful, spacious room, on the 2nd floor, overlooking Lake Geneva. I would open up my windows and could hear the rushing sound of the water and enjoyed watching the swans swimming about. The view alone was spectacular, both day and night. A short walk across the nearby bridge to many wonderful shops. The hotel is also centrally located to many local sights and to Old Town. Very convenient location if your touring.
I highly recommend this comfortable, lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Request a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank sweetpea100
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed 19 April 2012

but the room I had was tiny. No, really really tiny. Good thing I didn't bring my cat because I couldn't have swung it in the room. And the room cost 200 Swiss Francs ($332, £206, xe.com), so it was really terrible value. It had a bed that was somewhere between a large single and a small double, and just about enough space to walk around it to the bathroom door, and I had to turn partly sideways to get in the bathroom door and take a couple of steps to the lavatory. The next smallest bathroom I have ever seen was on the flight over to Geneva. If this is old style Geneva, I will be looking for new style Geneva next time I come this way. The one thing I will not be doing is heading back to The Ambassador.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or get an upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mjtoal
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Lovely comfortable hotel. Had room on the top floor overlooking river, close to town centre. Would stay here again and would highly recommend. The staff were excellent and helpful.

Room Tip: Top floor river view room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple