“Good location, upmarket hotel”

Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva
Ranked #21 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, upmarket hotel”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I arrived having made a booking some weeks before to find the hotel was full. The manager was called and after 15 minutes they found a room.

Despite this the room was nicely laid out and well finished. Complimentary chocolates and and iPod ready AV system were nice touches.

Location is nice, on the lake, and if you're a car fan you'll enjoy the exotic collection outside from the more affluent guests. There's some shops nearby, a co-op, if you don't want to use the mini bar.

I found all members of staff to be courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: It's often full, checking in late seems to get an upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
LavalleyT, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thank you for staying at the Grand Hotel Kempinski during your recent visit to Geneva. I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and liked our high technology equipped renovated rooms. Our commitment is to provide the highest level of service possible and your invaluable comments will help us reach our goals and serve as encouragement to our staff. I am truly delighted that we have met your expectations.

Thierry Lavalley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

2night october12 and 13.

it is was not my first stay in this hotel. but next time i wont be staying there. i had a personal issue with room service.

it is a good hotel at a good location. the room are good for Geneva business travelers. the internet was free compare to my last year visit to the hotel.

i used the business center 4am and it was open and a lady was there to fill the printer with paper when i needed it.

i loved the complementary swiss chocolates in rooms.

now, the things i didnt like:

no alarm clock in the room or radio alarm clock - the reception did offer a wake up call when i checked in.

no complementary water kettle to make tea or coffee. i usually see it in in every 5star business hotel i stay in.

while i was standing at the reception for check in, i could hear the receptionist standing next to me say the rate of the guest next to me out loud, which made me feel bad about it, knowing i have paid the double rate he did. it was not a good start.

-- my personal issue i had was with room service: i have complained about it and i didnt get any answer from them. the problem was i needed to eat something because i needed to take my medicine. i called room service and ordered something simple to eat(a burger) around 8pm. i have given my room number and repeated it couple of times(because he kept asking it) and spelled my last name to the person who answered the phone. after two hours, yes two hours, i call back and ask why i didnt get my order. the guy just said we got the wrong room number, blaming me for it?!!, although i have repeated the room number couple of times and spelled my last name and reminded him about it(he was the same guy who took my order in the first place). after an argument, which should not happen even if it was my fault, i asked can i have my order? to my shock!! with careless attitude, he said he will get me something else, without saying anything about what is it, just something else. i got angry and said i just want my order. we had another argument that ended with me canceling the order. just to end this pointless argument of i just want my order not something else. so i walked to mcdanolds next to the train station around 10:30pm. , i complained to the reception about it and didnt get answer and i complained about it also when i checkout and the reception wrote a note about it and still didnt get any answer about it or at least we hope you have better time next time you stay with us.

i travel alot for business. i stayed in alot of hotels, but this is the first time something like this happen to me with room service. i understand if the order got mixed up, missing something, wrong room number, but have an argument about my order and they will make something else, is a first to me.

this is my last visit to this hotel. no one needs drama with room service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank travelsmiles2011
LavalleyT, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Thank you for selecting the Grand Hotel Kempinski during your recent stay in Geneva. We appreciate your positive comments in regards to our location, rooms and business centre.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apology for having a disappointing experience with our room service. After conducting some research we have identified the problem and taken the necessary measures. Please rest assured that we will not allow this inappropriate experience to happen again, as this does not reflect our philosophy nor culture.

For your next stay with us please do not hesitate to contact our front office or guest relations manager to request a kettle with full tea and coffee setup as well as an alarm clock to be placed in your room prior to your arrival.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and meeting you personally on your next visit to The Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva.

Kindly accept our apologies once more.

With kindest regards,

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I've been going to this hotel since it was a Noga Hilton, for the last 10 years.the crew didn't change much, the guys in the reception , many are portuguese , are very good, very professional. The bar has a wonderful vew of the lake. The rooms are much better now after the taking over by Kempinski. Excelent breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank paulus70
Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Kempinski during your recent stay in Geneva. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit with us and that we met your expectations. I am truly delighted that you have enjoyed our breakfast buffet.
Our commitment is to provide the highest level of service possible and your invaluable comments help us to reach our goals and serve as encouragement to our staff who are very loyal and committed.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I must say that this hotel has an amazing location, situated on the lake across from the old city.
The service was very good, the concierge went out of his way to help us as to where to go how to get there etc. Lake view room is a must, if you get a courtyard room someone will be looking directly in your room. It is quite expensive as is everything else in the city. The only negative thing about this was the way the room was set up. It was very spacious length wise, but not width wise. When we opened our balcony door it literally hit and jammed up against the bed therefore it could only open 3/4 of the way and you had to close it to get to the other side of the room. In all an excellent hotel, but a bit overpriced.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary_Pap
LavalleyT, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for selecting the Grand Hotel Kempinski during your recent stay in Geneva. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the service and the friendliness of our concierge.
Guest satisfaction is our aim and our commitment is to provide the highest level of service possible. In the meantime, please accept my apology that the layout of this specific room was not to your entire satisfaction.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and meeting you on your next visit to the Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva. I will personally make sure this time that your stay will entirely meet all your expectations.

Zürich
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The hotel is very beautiful situated on the lake and approximative 10-15 minutes walk to the city centre and old city. Rooms are renovated, very nice decorated and include all amenities you would expect from a 5-Star hotel. The service at check-in and check-out has been very quick and efficient. The swimming-pool and Spa are a beautiful place to relax after work. I will return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
LavalleyT, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Thank you for staying at the Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva. I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed our renovated rooms and our amenities. You are 100% correct, I fully agree with you that our spa and swimming pool are definitely the right escape after a long day of work.
Our commitment is to provide the highest level of service possible and guest satisfaction is our aim.

Thierry Lavalley,

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I am big fan of the Kempinski chain, this was disappointing. I mean, its a nice hotel with decent gym, pool, location by the Lake so nothing terrible but the price you pay, there would be much better options in Geneva, I am sure. The foyer felt like a 90's shopping Centre, it was particularly overpriced and the rooms were uninspiring, very dated...

If you stay in Geneva, you have to pay decent money for a nice hotel but i am pretty sure there are better options than this Kempinski, the Geneva hotel lets this respected brand down.

1 Thank DavidF2011
LavalleyT, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Thank you very much for choosing the Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva for your recent stay. I am delighted to learn that you are a big fan of the Kempinski Chain worldwide.

We take all reviews seriously and appreciate your feedback. I wish to personally reassure you that our prices are within the price range of all other 5-star Hotels in Geneva. I hope that during your next stay with us you will have the time to experience our spa, fitness and swimming pool.

I look forward to personally welcome you on your next visit to the Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva.

Essex, England
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed on a one night business trip in September. The hotel is located by the lake and I enjoyed a walk along the promenade, but it is a concrete functional design of building. The porter and reception staff were were friendly and very helpful. The public areas and bedrooms are spacious compared to hotels in the old town. I didn't use the swimming pool but it looked generously sized. Everything was clean and efficient although at a price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for choosing the Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva for your recent visit.
I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. I would also like to thank you for your appreciation of our Front Office staff. I am certain that your comments will serve as an encouragement to all our staff.

With Kindest regards,