“BE CAREFUL WITH THE VIRUS!”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #52 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at Astoria Hotel for 2 nights. We had a great time there until the check out. At that moment, we were told that we had bought a movie package and an internet package. This was strange, because we did not buy these packages. Anyway, the assistent called the manager to solve the problem and he was extremely rude with us. I tried to explain that we did not buy these packages ( it was charged by my parents room) and i also told him that we did not took our notebook with us, how we could buy the internet package? During the conversation, the manager said to me: " SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT A VIRUS GOT INTO THE SYSTEM AND NOW IS CHARGING THE PACKAGE"? I got really, but really surprised, with his attitude. We already traveled to many cities in Europe (Geneva was our second time) and stayed in many different places and we´ve never met a stupid and inpolite manager like him. I continuous saying that we did not buy these packages and when i told my father (who was besides me) he got really furious. He said that he did not buy the package, he only watched a Portuguese Channel at the TV, as he does not speak French or even English. I said that i would not pay because i was telling him the truth. If we had used, of course we would pay for it. We would never travel so far , from Brazil to Switzerland if we did not have money enough to pay the things we wanted, or the things we had used. So, at the end the manager put an observation at the system explaining the problem and said: " IS LIKE A NEW CAR. YOU CAN PAY FOR IT AND NEVER USE IT". So, until the end .he was saying that we used the package. We did not pay, but now i got some questions: if we used, why we did not want to pay? Because we did not have money? Or because we were not honest? Of course there are a lot of people like this in the world, but it was not our case. I was traveling with a friend and parents who have more than 70 years old. My deception is that he did not believe us. I know that there are a security system to check it, but everyone could buy the package, as you use the remote control from the TV for it and the room number as a password. The only thing i ask here is for more RESPECT with the guest. And if you stay there, be careful with the virus, i mean with the MANAGER...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank CarmemGoncalves

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our twin bedded room was small as was the en suite shower room. Breakfast was available in the pub next door and was plentiful. The staff were very helpful with directions and advice as well as the young lady that helped me with the room safe. The location was ideal for the station as well as restaurants and other amenities. We would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jin6x
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel has a great location. However old and tiny rooms. However the receptioninst was very good and helpful. He gave us connecting rooms which helped us a lot and then the rooms seemed quite spacious.
Breakfast which is outsourced to adjacent pub was ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The room was ok, clean, big enough with the usual awful furnitures you find in every hotel around the world. The building is close to the station and with that in a noisy environment. But, what is really remarkable is the staff which is extremely unfriendly to its guests. On the reception I found staff which did not even speak french properly. It's really a shame that such an thoughtless attitude still exists in the swiss hospitality industry.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The hotel location, right across from the Cornavin train station is great. You can be in your room 15 minutes after getting out of the airport. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the girl who is on duty in the mornings. She was fantastic and the gentleman in the evening was good too. The room was on the small side, but clean and comfortable. . Had a decent breakfast both mornings which is a bonus in Geneva. On the fifth floor with a view of the beautiful church right out the window. For what I paid on days when ILO conference was in the city, I could not have asked for more. If I am back, I would not hesitate to stay there again.
I definately have stayed at better hotels but keep in mind you are paying in geneva where everything is expensive so value for money is great

Room Tip: Ask for a room on top floors for better views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sfaws13
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am staying at the Astoria for a business meeting in Geneva the week of June 6/24/2013. I wound up here because most hotels in the city are fully booked this week due to a large number of international meetings and it was the only thing available at a "reasonable" (by Geneva standards: about US $250 per night) price. The location is convenient: right across from Gare Cornavin, Geneva's central railway station. The station is also a major bus terminal, so there's easy access to public transit to any part of the city. It's also a 5-7 minute walk to the the lake shore. The rooms are small, but that's the case for most hotels in Geneva unless you are willing to pay upwards of $350 per night. The more relevant problems:

1. It's very noisy - non-stop bus, car & train traffic from early morning until quite late at night.
2. The place smells of stale cigarette smoke. I asked to be moved out of a first room because of the smell. They agreed to move me, but the replacement was no better despite being marked as a no-smoking room. The only way to ameliorate the smell is to leave the window open, but that makes the noise much worse.
3. Most annoying for a business hotel: there is no wireless in the rooms and the cost of an ethernet is much too high: CHF 8 (currently about US $9) per hour or CHF 16 (US $18) for 24 hours. Most other hotels in the city provide internet access at no charge.
4. Breakfast is of relatively poor quality compared to other hotels in which I've stayed here - breads and pastries are just so-so, selection of buffet items limited, coffee made in a big percolator urn, so stale-tasting right away unlike the generally excellent coffee available all over town here.
5. Service is diffident - not much effort to be helpful. Security not great - no one at reception really looks up when you walk in, so anyone could walk in off the street and get into hotel hallways or stairwells. It would be harder to get into a room, but I'm somewhat more concerned about potential theft of laptop or other work items here than I have been at other places I've stayed in the city.
6. A bit threadbare and musty overall - not all that pleasant an atmosphere.

I won't stay here again - there are many better options if you book far enough in advance - that was my mistake this time: it was a last minute trip and I booked too late. There are many hotels a few blocks away from the train station that are still very convenient, but cleaner, more pleasant, and with free wireless internet access throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the train station - it would be quieter. But better to just choose...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Very well located opposite the train station and nearby to a lot of shopping. Really small rooms. Still the twin room was a wee bit bigger than the double room.breakfast was decent. If u open ur luggage then no room to move also. As we were checking in a man in the lobby had his laptop stolen. So pls take care of your belonging. Helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family