“I would say good not very good but there no option for just good”

ibis Geneve Centre Gare
Ranked #35 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
“I would say good not very good but there no option for just good”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The price of this hotel for the location is excellent looking around at other hotels most of which are far more expensive. The ibis is just a few minutes from the train station and a few minutes from the river - so really you are in the centre with easy access to everything.

Staff are helpful and efficient.

Room is fine - just about what you expect - it's basic but clean with a few small flaws - shower curtain only attached by three hooks for example, and only one plug making juggling charging things a nightmare, no air con (at least in winter, but still the room was very warm). However there really isn't much in the room bar a bathroom and bed - thankfully I read another review on here and brought a small kettle, the wide window ledges make an excellent fridge in the winter months for milk etc! There is only one very basic shower gel / soap, so if like me you like your usual hotel comforts while travelling be sure to pack ALL your own toiletries, slippers, kettle as mentioned, cotton wool, tissues - basically all the things you're used to.

There is a very small bar and breakfast area and I can't comment on the breakfast as I didn't have it but having looked at the pretty basic set up, for me a better option is to go to the lower ground floor of 'Manor' department store about 2-3 minutes away where you will find the best food department with everything you could want - fantastic fresh baked croissants, fresh juice, Swiss yoghurt, mountain honey, lovely fruit and a lot more. I was up and out really early both mornings so it suited me to have my breakfast in my room and although as mentioned I can't comment on the standard of the ibis breakfast (which costs £12+) I'm sure mine was better!

Overall if I wasn't in Switzerland I'd probably be complaining a lot more but everything else is so expensive that actually the Ibis is ok. I'd rather be in the Mandarin Oriental 2 minutes away but not for nearly 4.5 times the price! Give the Ibis a try.

Room Tip: The traffic noise outside is excessive so ask if there is a room not facing the road / railway
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Odebash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The great thing about this Ibis is that it a quick walking distance from the Central train station, which is only one stop from the airport.
The interesting fact about the location is that it is right beside a Salvation Army Center and Waifs and Strays Hostel.
The great thing about this Ibis is that it is a reasonably priced hotel in expensive Geneva.
The interesting fact is...well, there isn't really one. It is a reasonably priced Ibis in an expensive city. You can't except too much from the Ibis, but it was clean and comfortable. Actually, the first room we were given Wasn't clean, but we asked to be changed and were relocated without question.
No kettle/jug in the room, and no fridge. No fancy shampoos and no fluffy bathrobes. But then again, it is an Ibis so you can't expect those things.
The breakfast isn't anything to rave about, and possibly a little on the expensive side for the selection, but it was convenient.
They only real thing is that when we checked in to our two rooms, they gave one of us the smallest room on the floor, and the other the largest. I thought this was pretty strange, as it does breed a little bit of room envy when one has a bath and the other has only a shower, when one has room to move and the other can't get their suitcases past the bed. The room we moved to was a little bit bigger. I have posted a photo of the floorplan so if you are booking here you can try and request one of the larger rooms.
And at the end of the day, if you are only staying a few nights and need to be somewhere close to the city, then there isn't really a reason Not to stay here. Just remember to 'steal' some tea bags or hot chocolate from breakfast and ask for a free cup of hot water if you like an evening cuppa, anything more will cost you extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath as these seem to be larger.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathiiy
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very close to Geneva railway station. Print a map off though otherwise you won't find it! Very modern. Excellent room. Slept well. No breakfast included. Hats another 15 francs. Was about 190francs for a twin room without food. Vending machine in foyer. Not much restaurant wise nearby as a bit rough. Found a pasta bar near station which was good value. 12 francs for a main. Good for business people but not a romantic venue! Oh didn't have breakfast. Went to migros shop at station instead as travelling next day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stayed in this Ibis for 2 nights in September and were really impressed. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the train station as we took the train from the airport and is about a 10 minute walk down to the Lake and shopping area. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful and check in was very quick. The room was fairly large with very comfortable twin beds and a lovely powerful shower! The room had a desk, tv and sofa to store the bags. The bar downstairs did a lovely hot chocolate :) we paid for breakfast one morning which had lots of choice and enough to set you up for the day. I would say the hotel is also about a 15 min walk from the United Nations too. Very pleased with the hotel- definitely recommend for the price, was of the most reasonable we saw.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Morris County, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I know that Geneva hotel prices across the board are high, but still expected more from a hotel where I paid over $200/night for a room. Ibis is the budget brand of the Accor Hotels chain, and they live up to that moniker.

Let's start with the good, daytime checkin staff were pleasant and friendly. The room, while small was clean and inviting.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement on the good side right?

But check out the bad:

Breakfast for 20CHF was pathetic. I would not mind paying this much for a good selection but for a few slices of meat, small pieces of bread and mini croisssants - very disappointing. And oh, if you only want a cup of coffee that will set you back 5CHF.

No toiletries in the very small bathroom. Budget brands from Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton are all able to provide this nominal service.

But the most concerning thing to me was what happens late night in the hotel lobby. I could not sleep one night so went down to use my computer in the lobby. There were a couple of sketchy people hanging out using the hotel computer. I think whoever is on duty overnight likes to allow there friends to come in off the street for free wifi. This did not make me feel comfortable about security.

One last thing about the Accor hotel family. Their internet reservation system is nowhere near on par with classic chains like Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton. While searching for lodging options in Geneva, I made reservation at several hotels prior to making a final decision. Most hotels sent a confirmation via email so I was easily able to go in and cancel when I made a final decision. Accor, however does not do this, nor do they send out a reminder about an upcoming reservation several days in advance. So I mistakenly did not cancel a second reservation I had at the Accor Novotel and got charged for one night's stay. I asked Accor if they would possibly waive the charge, since I did stay at another Accor property but they refused. Not the level of customer service I am used to with the chains I frequent.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank campbellmi
ibis2154, Directeur général at ibis Geneve Centre Gare, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Genève Centre Gare. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our breakfast buffet is the standard brand Includes, hot drinks (coffee, espresso, cappuccino, chocolate, tea), 2 fruit juices, fresh fruit salad, fruit basket, 3 choices of cereals, breads 3, 2 pastries, jam, honey, pate spreads, meats, cheeses, hardboiled egg, natural yoghurt and fruit, bruesli ...

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Initially, I was greeted by a wonderful front desk staff, they were just as nice and helpful as could be. The room was very nice, the bed comfortable, with a lovely bath. The breakfast, which cost either 15 or 20 Swiss francs extra, was more than one could expect. Very close to the train and buses. I stayed two nights and was exceptionally pleased.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large, and very convenient to the train (Center Gare), which is seven minutes from...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business