“Decent enough hotel if you want to be close to the train station”

Cornavin Hotel Geneva
Ranked #37 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Alcala De Henares, Spain
“Decent enough hotel if you want to be close to the train station”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

To be honest I went to this hotel with negative feelings to start with as my normal one, the Novotel, was not available. Now having said that it was not as bad as I was expecting.

Right next to the station, so was very handy as my meetings are at the airport. I like to stay in town though, so I can go out for a walk if I want to and not feel trapped out at the airport.

Must say the rooms are very well sound-proofed. Had 319 overlooking the station platforms and tracks behind the hotel, but did not hear anything. Had the newly refurbished bathroom, which is nicely done. Got a decent hairdryer, but a horrible shower curtain. (Sorry but I hate shower curtains) but appreciate a good hairdryer.

The TV was small, but at least they have many channels (I got to watch the BBC)

One very good thing, sockets next to the bed. Although they were those stupid Swiss/French ones that do not like the usual european (spanish) plugs. I think the french have got smaller ones that the spanish. At least I was able to plug my phone and iPad in next to the bed at night.

No Corby Trouser Press in the room of course. And although I did not use it, a colleague staying at the same hotel, told me the ironing room was a risky place, with a wire sticking out of the iron!

The only good thing about the restaurant for breakfast on the 8th floor is the beautiful view on a clear day. The selection is *!£^)(* and the staff are so unhappy I would suggest either new management or therapy.

Would not choose to go back to this place.

Oh! and yes it does not have a bar.

I am not sure why it has four stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my family did some shopping in Geneva and I did use one of the bags we shopped. When I am back later of the day the house keeping throw my shopping bag away which has all my stuffing, dust bag, tax free receipt inside, etc. When this incident happened the thing I did was call the reception. The first thing the reception answer wasn't any helping but defending their colleague, keep saying that I put the bag too close to the garbage which is non sense cause I got at least 10 bags there and god knows why they choose that one to throw away. After 5 mins I call them again and they tell me the lady who is responsible is already off, I need to wait till another day when the lady is back so she can check for me, me myself is working in hospitality business as well, can't believe in such a big hotel like this there's only one person who's responsible for the losing item in house keeping. However, I tell the reception we have an earlier flight to catch and they reply is "ok here's the hotel email, u may send us an email to explain ur situation and leave us ur credit card details if we found it we can mail it back to ur country." After all, they didn't help me out in any way, which I lost my stuffing and shopping bag and had experienced such a bad stay in Geneva.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank nicholasbb

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Islington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Geneva is really expensive. Like really expensive. Hotels cost a silly amount of money. This is great value compared to other hotels out there. It is clean, the rooms and modern and bright and the staff are friendly and helpful. It isn't luxurious but the wifi is free and it's in a great location next to the train station about a 15 minute walk from the jet d'eau. Also it has a lovely panoramic breakfast room with lovely views of the city. The breakfast is also pretty good. They had this really nice cheese - I meant to ask what kind of cheese it was. It was yummy.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We only stayed for one night (2 single rooms). Both the rooms went out to the front, the traffic was barely audible. My companion had a room with a balcony, I didn't. Her room was however a bit lighter due to the large window. For a business hotel the Cornavin doesn't leave anything to be desired, the staff was professional and curteous and seemed to speak a number of foreign languages apart from French. The only (small) fly in the ointment is the price for the breakfast which was a bit high, however, this is made up by the glorious view you have from the breakfast room on the 8th floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, even if the balcony is not too big.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank B W
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on trip advisor reviews and price.

The room rate was a good deal, and the majority of the views were positive. The location is very convenient, first stop off the train from the airport, out of the station, turn right and a 100m there is the hotel. That made me smile after many hours of travelling.

The check in was smooth and friendly, stayed on the 9th floor which had a great view of geneva and the fountain (room 914)

If you don't spend too much time in the room, why worry?

Good bits, price, and location
Bad bits, hotel room a little tired and out of date, towels need replacing, tap leaked on the sink and drowned my wash bag, the bed was actually two single beds and the second mattress kept slipping away, really annoying.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

It was very easy to find as it was just outside the station. Our room was a good size and nice and quiet and comfortable. Breakfast is on the 8th floor where you have a good view over the city. There was a reasonable selection of both hot and cold dishes to choose from.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had read from some here that the service could be cold. Not in our case. Extremely friendly check in and any enquiries were met with a smile and helpful answer. Location is excellent for those arriving by train. Literally adjacent to one of the exits from the underground passageway leading from the train station into town. We were able to walk across the bridge to central Geneva in 20 minutes or so, a pleasant, flat easy walk. The room was fine, not luxurious, but for Swiss standards we were paying a reasonable price so we did not expect a huge room. Clean and spotless, and that swinging pendulum going all the way up about 7 stories from the atrium is definitely a talking piece. A good place for anyone looking for reasonably priced, central, clean accomodations.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple