“I'd go back”

Cornavin Hotel Geneva
Ranked #37 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 16 January 2006

The Hotel Cornavin has a modern interior, very well done, very clean. I didn't find it worn at all. My daughter and I stayed one night to catch a morning flight and the location, right next to the train station, was ideal. It's just a short walk to the waterfront. Across a short bridge and you find yourself in a busy shopping district and then up the hill to the old city - very walkable.

We found the hotel very comfortable and the staff friendly. The room was good-sized, modern and clean though, as others have pointed out, the lighting was somewhat dim. The TV set was smaller than I would have expected, but that's a pretty minor quibble.

The panoramic breakfast room on the 8th floor was excellent, and the cold continental breakfast selection was very good.

What I found annoying was that, although the hotel was not particularly busy or full, they put us into Room 202 - it literally backs right onto the train station platform, Voie 1! My daughter is fond of saying that our bathroom was on the tracks! We were too tired and lazy to ask for a room change and, quite frankly, I was curious as to what it would be like with trains zipping by every so often. Surprisingly, it didn't bother us at all, a testament to their soundproofing. We heard and felt a soft rumble whenever a train went by. Nothing that kept us awake, but those more sensitive to noise may find this unacceptable.

Nevertheless, we would recommend immediately turning down Room 202 if offered it!

I've also stayed at the Warwick, which is on the other side of the train station square from the Cornavin and would recommend the Cornavin over the Warwick (it was drab and worn in comparison to the Cornavin).

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank PDLJ
There are newer reviews for Cornavin Hotel Geneva

Reviewed 10 November 2005

The rooms and the breakfast were OK, and I liked the location. But the staff were so outright rude and unhelpful it spoiled my stay. Not only did they lose my reservation, which I had confirmed the previous day by phone, they also made the entire experience of finally getting a room absolutely unpleasant.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank Keshet
A TripAdvisor Member
Germany
Reviewed 8 September 2005

I do not know what we expected, maybe we have seen too many good to very good other 4 star hotels. There is no place for parking your car to get your luggage in. Only the bus lane may be used for a temporary stay. Then you need to use the railway stations car park.
We did get a room on the 5th floor. You can have 2 directions when getting a room in the Cornavin : Either directly in front of the tracks / platform or the other side directly to the road in front of the station. Both options were not really what we liked.
Way to the room:
The elevator was gives a nice view on the station.
We had trouble moving our luggage to the room. On a road you would call it "uneven surface". The carpet was not properly attached to the floor.
The first room:
It smelled terribly so we went down and got a non smoking room (we did book one) two doors further.
The second room:
It smelled the same ! We had a look at the bathroom : oompph !
The bed had old stains. There were so many spots on the carpet you couldnet count them.
In short: we did not stay. ! We did go down to the Rhone and asked kindly at the Ambassador for a good rate. We did get it !

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 August 2005

I stayed at the Hotel Cornavin for over 2 weeks in June when I was in Geneva for work. The hotel's location is convenient. It is directly across the street from the Cornavin train station, on a bus route for the WHO and UN, and close to many restaurants and shopping (ie. Manor Department Store). It is several blocks from the river. The hotel's front desk staff is not very friendly (could use some training in customer service) and I had negative experiences with several of them. The breakfast room and other staff members were friendly and kind. The hotel's manager, Mr. Fassbind, was wonderful, helpful, and extremely service oriented. There is a great breakfast buffet included in many internet rates. (Try utell for great rates). The breakfast on the 8th floor, providing a great view, includes hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals, cheeses, juices, breads, and crossiants. I stayed in a large room with a balcony on the 7th floor and could see mountains in the distance. It was also high enough to avoid the noises from the streets below, and the windows help as well. Unfortunately, from the 7th floor, the footsteps from the floor above got a bit loud during breakfast, so I suggest asking for a room on the 8th or 9th floor. The room was clean and the furnishings are modern. The king size bed is really 2 twins pushed together, which was a bit annoying to me. The towels are plush and clean, but they only give you one or two per day. One of the best parts about the Cornavin is the wireless internet access. It is available in most rooms (although not all) at 20 CHF per stay. If you can't access it from your room you can get it from the 8th floor breakfast room or the hotel's lobby. There is also a business center with internet access which can be used for 5 CHF per use.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
12  Thank ushma
Reviewed 17 August 2005

I don't understand why this hotel has such lackluster reviews.
It is in The Best Location in all of Geneva. While about 10 hotels are located around the Cornavin (main train/bus terminal in Geneva), this one is the closest; and at 4-stars it is an amazing value. The staff were affable, knowledgeable, and helpful. The continental breakfast was good enough [hard-boiled eggs, cold meats, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, croissants (plain and chocolate), several breads, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, ...]. The room was air conditioned, and had enormous windows which could be opened. The amenities were nothing extraordinary, and no washcloths were provided. The towels were big and thick and they smelled fresh. Although we were on the 9th (top) floor, we NEVER - NEVER! -had to wait for an elevator going up or down. The non-smoking room was just that. Triple rooms are available. I will always request this hotel if I'm going to be in Geneva.

7  Thank HouseFairy