“Great design hotel”

Ranked #13 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great design hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a very colorful, trendy design hotel but the staff haven't forgotten their main purpose: servicing the guests. Contrary to some so called "design" the hotel provided excellent comfort in all respects: furniture, bed, bathroom. We didn't try the bar or the restaurants but I am sure they will be at the same level as the rest of this great hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly and everything was well organised, like Swiss clockwork.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
dblanc, C.Lamarche Deputy Manager at Hotel N'vY, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for your very nice comment. We will forward it to our staff. We would be glad to welcome you back for a next trip to Geneva.
C. Lamarche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Gold Canyon, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

The decor of the hotel is hip and trendy with bright colors and contemporary decor. This is in contrast to some of the other Geneva hotels which scream "old world".The service was welcoming and always pleasant when I called down to the desk. The breakfast buffet was nothing special but only 19 swiss francs so I could not complain. What did upset me, however, was that the electrical outlets by the bed shut off automatically when the room lights go out (I called maintenance and this is a fact). Consequently, I was not able to plug in my sleep apnea machine by my bed but had to do so in the outlets by the desk. This created a trip hazard when I went to the bathroom. I am all for saving energy but this goes a bit too far. People travel with many things that need to be plugged in by their beds at night and this is really a hassle. In addition, the tv needed a full page of instructions to figure it out and the bath/shower a card of instructions. When I am tired, this is one complication I don't need. Lastly, I had paid for an upgraded executive room, as I was traveling with my mother and it certainly did not feel like a large room. I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Debbie H
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

walking around at night, you will be watched and possibly approached by what appears to be a gang of pimp/drug dealers. keep your head up and walk fast and if they cross the street to your side for no apparent reason, you need to be very alert, walk faster, make yourself large, stare them down, whatever.

ok, that brings us to the bar. think electronic pop music blaring, mood lighting, or purple flourescent light as we used to call it, and furniture that is designed to make sure you won't stay in it for long.

having said all of that, the room is very nice, bed is comfortable, nice and quiet - make sure you ask for away from the elevator.

Room Tip: high floor, away from the elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
dblanc, C. Lamarche Deputy Manager at Hotel N'vY, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is always important to us so that we can continue to improve our services. Sorry that you did not like the bar that much, next time, please try the Tag's Café, the ambiance is quite different or you may appreciate the bar in our sister Hotel Royal. It offers "a cocoon of homely warmth and voluptuous comfort".
C.Lamarche
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stand in this hotel with my friends for 3 days.

Hotel N' vY Epsom Manotel is located on silent street not so far away from Lake Geneva. I spent less than 10 min to get embankment and 20-25 to get main streets and places of the city.
You can have breakfast for 30 CHF in good restaurant in the hotel. Also You can enjoy drinks in hotel bar. And there is other good restaurant outside the hotel.
Next streets You can find shops with food and drinks.

The hotel is good decorated and perfect cleaned. I'm guitarist and old R'n Roller. And I was impressed by exhibition old rare guitars on the wall in the hotel (look photo)
The rooms were comfortable and clean, with effective air conditioning, and good equipped but there is no hair-drier (std. room).

The staff were kind, friendly and helpful. But we has unpleasant incident at our check-in to hotel. The rooms was not ready until to 5 p.m. It disappoint if You expect to get room 3 or 2 hours early. But I do believe it was just unusual event.

In general all of my friends including myself was fully satisfied.
We thank Hotel N' vY Epsom kindly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
We thank you for your nice feedback. We will pass it on to our staff. Let us explain the name. The older name is Epsom and since the comlpete renovation last December, the hotel was renamed : Hotel N'vY. Manotel is the name of the group (that comprises 6 hotels in Geneva). We are glad you enjoyed your stay and would be glad to welcome you back for a next trip to Geneva.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Location: The hotel is around 20 minutes walking distance from the train station and the center of Geneva. There is no public transportation from the station/city center except by taxi. A one-way taxi ride from the hotel to the station costed me around 25 CHF. The immediate area is quite "urban," so it is not nice to walk from the hotel to the city center.

Room: It was a bit difficult to sleep due to a constant buzzing noise. The size was a bit small and you must squeeze by each other if there are two people in the room. The toilet was all black, which doesn't seem very practical/clean. The shower was difficult to turn on (was stuck) and I had to pull hard several times with a towel before it worked. The "light art"/ambient light didn't work. I couldn't find an iron in the room. I later read someone's review that you need to go to a special floor with an ironing room.

Staff: Not very welcoming. No greeting and not much of anything else. He merely gave me the room card and told me the elevators were on my right. The hotel had no doorman or I never saw this person.

Conclusion: A 4-star rating is a bit generous for this hotel. Next time, I will try another hotel closer to the city center that doesn't sacrifice comfort and hospitality just to try to be hip.

• Stayed August 2013
dblanc, C. Lamarche - Deputy Manager at Hotel N'vY, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is very important for us to have guests comments, it will help us to continue to improve our services. Please note that the Manotel group owns owns 6 hotels in Geneva and some them (the Auteuil or Royal) are closer to main station.
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The hotel is not too far away from the train station (10 min walking) but could be tricky to find it. This is my first time to Geneva and I am not sure if the location is nice or not but we do feel safe to walk around at night. It seems it's in a quiet neighborhood. The hotel staff was super friendly and very informative. When she knew it's our first time in Geneva, she threw lots of information, such as free ferry, bus schedule, places to visit, restaurants to eat and things to do.
The room has contemporary design and has slight touch of W hotel or Aloft from Sheraton chain. Although it's kind of small (Isn't it always in Europe), everything is there for you to use!! It's a good hotel if you plan to stay only for short period of time since there isn't too much you can do in the hotel, more a business type of hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
dblanc, C. Lamarche Deputy Manager at Hotel N'vY, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thanks a lot for your nice comment! We will pass it on to our staff. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and could visit Geneva. We would be very happy to welcome you back for a next trip.
Regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed the weekend of 7-Sep-2013 for a wedding and this was probably the worst experience I've had at a hotel, and I have stayed at around 100+ hotels around the world, including Hilton, Conrad, Ibis, and other hotels.

I was stuck in one of their elevators and the hotel staff, including the hotel manager, went out of their way to be unhelpful, apathetic, and unapologetic.

1) There is a button in the elevator to make emergency calls to the elevator company, who informed the hotel reception that I was trapped in the elevator and said the reception would come to help me open the elevator. The hotel staff NEVER came to assess the situation and never communicated how they would help me. Luckily, I had my cell and called my husband after I realized no one from the hotel would come.
2) My husband pleaded with the hotel staff to help me or at least allow him to take the stairs to the floor where my elevator was stuck. The hotel staff insisted the stairs were only for staff and he was not allowed to use it. They also insisted there was nothing they or my husband could do to help me to open the elevator and we had to wait for the technician. The hotel staff could not be bothered to go to the stuck elevator, so how did they even know what was possible? Ironically, we later found out there were another set of stairs for guests in the conference area, which they couldn't be bothered to tell my husband.
3) My husband informed them we had to go to a friend's wedding in 30 minutes. but they did not care. Initially, they did not even want to tell my husband how long it would we had to wait for the technician.
4) After my husband pleaded numerous times with the hotel staff to help, he took a risk and used the other elevator to come to my floor. It took about 5 seconds for us to open the elevator door because he and I both pulled the doors open. The elevator has two sets of doors, so two people were needed to pull it apart. The hotel was completely unapologetic and did not say a single word after we both came down (using the stairs by the conference area) to tell them we had opened the elevator door ourselves and we were disappointed that they did not want to help. This was the icing on the cake.

The bottom line is that the room was modern, but safety of guests (e.g., working elevators) and helpful staff are much more important than superficial amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms by the elevator are noisy!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ClarissaA
dblanc, General Manager at Hotel N'vY, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Madam
We would like to apologize for the incident you have been involved in last Saturday. Note that in Switzerland, in case of problem, no one but the agreed elevator company or the fire brigades have the right to touch the elevators and its doors. The following legal procedure has been applied:
- As soon as our staff had the emergency signal they contacted our supplier to come for the technical intervention. Our agreed supplier said it would take about 40 minutes to come as they just had another intervention.
- To accelerate the process, our staff have called immediately the fire brigade
By the time they arrived, you had left. Again we are sorry for the inconvenience and with our best regards.

Paul Muller