With hotels in Geneva, the rule is that you need to take what you can get. Hotels are almost without exception outrageously expensive, and everything fills up months in advance regardless of the time of year. (By the way, this is not just the case with hotels; there is a permanent housing crisis in Geneva, thanks to greed, corruption, and government ineptitude – so Swiss residents of Geneva are also desperate for accommodation.) I was looking for hotels almost three months before my business trip, and it was already not easy. Fortunately, this hotel had a very reasonable rate, so I jumped at it. I stayed for six nights and had a good experience at the place – there’s nothing really outstanding about it but it does the job, and I would stay there again.
The hotel is located very conveniently, right across the street from the station and all the public transport. A little bit more into the side streets and it can get a bit seedy, but this hotel is on the corner of the main road and the atmosphere is perfectly fine. The rooms were definitely a bit cramped, and even a bit dark. Pictures on the barren walls would have been nice too. The ventilation was also not so great (a typical problem in Swiss houses); there wasn’t any air con, just a dinky little fan on the desk, so it might be unpleasant in the summer, when it can get humid and sticky in Geneva. But the rooms were very clean and were functional enough, and the windows were properly double glazed, meaning that despite being on the first floor I was not bothered by the traffic. The price was right, and, like I said, in Geneva you have to take what you can get. The wifi worked fine, and there was even a small fitness room with good machines – no complaints. Even the service was surprisingly good.
One thing I was not happy about was the breakfast buffet, which was a little bit crummy. There were 100 different types of bread / pastries and a very small selection of other things. If you wanted eggs, there was a basket with raw eggs and a machine with boiling water. Basically you had to put your egg in and boil it yourself; there wasn’t even a timer on the machine so you had to use your own watch. I know eating eggs for breakfast is sort of an Anglo Saxon thing, but most hotels I have been to in Europe at least go to the trouble of boiling eggs for the guests. But I lived to tell the tale so this was not such a major thing for me.
Perhaps more of an issue is that there were no peepholes or chains on the doors of the rooms. This struck me as very odd – there is much more property crime in Geneva than most people think (don’t be fooled by the façade of perfection), and for a hotel in the middle of an urban area, peepholes would seem kind of obvious. I’m quite surprised that this is not a requirement on the part of the Swiss Tourism Association, or whatever regulatory body is supposed to categorise hotels in the country. A couple of times people mixed up my room with the room next to it and knocked on my door – completely harmless, but I felt a little bit insecure opening the door without having any idea of who was on the other side. Still, this was not a major issue, and I would stay in the hotel again – though maybe not in the summer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are looking forward to welcome you in a refurbished hotel. For your business trips, tourist stays with the family or romantic weekends, our 3-star hotel right in the heart of Geneva offers you single, double or triple rooms. Set out according to your needs, our hotel rooms combine interior design and practicality. They all have modern equipment (TV flat screen and satelit international channel, FREE WIFI...) to ensure you the greatest comfort. The interior design is meticulous and ranges from the sophisticated to the sober ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your International et Terminus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- International Et Terminus Geneva
- International Et Terminus Hotel Geneva