“Won’t change your life but no major complaints”

International et Terminus
Ranked #54 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
London
“Won’t change your life but no major complaints”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

With hotels in Geneva, the rule is that you need to take what you can get. Hotels are almost without exception outrageously expensive, and everything fills up months in advance regardless of the time of year. (By the way, this is not just the case with hotels; there is a permanent housing crisis in Geneva, thanks to greed, corruption, and government ineptitude – so Swiss residents of Geneva are also desperate for accommodation.) I was looking for hotels almost three months before my business trip, and it was already not easy. Fortunately, this hotel had a very reasonable rate, so I jumped at it. I stayed for six nights and had a good experience at the place – there’s nothing really outstanding about it but it does the job, and I would stay there again.

The hotel is located very conveniently, right across the street from the station and all the public transport. A little bit more into the side streets and it can get a bit seedy, but this hotel is on the corner of the main road and the atmosphere is perfectly fine. The rooms were definitely a bit cramped, and even a bit dark. Pictures on the barren walls would have been nice too. The ventilation was also not so great (a typical problem in Swiss houses); there wasn’t any air con, just a dinky little fan on the desk, so it might be unpleasant in the summer, when it can get humid and sticky in Geneva. But the rooms were very clean and were functional enough, and the windows were properly double glazed, meaning that despite being on the first floor I was not bothered by the traffic. The price was right, and, like I said, in Geneva you have to take what you can get. The wifi worked fine, and there was even a small fitness room with good machines – no complaints. Even the service was surprisingly good.

One thing I was not happy about was the breakfast buffet, which was a little bit crummy. There were 100 different types of bread / pastries and a very small selection of other things. If you wanted eggs, there was a basket with raw eggs and a machine with boiling water. Basically you had to put your egg in and boil it yourself; there wasn’t even a timer on the machine so you had to use your own watch. I know eating eggs for breakfast is sort of an Anglo Saxon thing, but most hotels I have been to in Europe at least go to the trouble of boiling eggs for the guests. But I lived to tell the tale so this was not such a major thing for me.

Perhaps more of an issue is that there were no peepholes or chains on the doors of the rooms. This struck me as very odd – there is much more property crime in Geneva than most people think (don’t be fooled by the façade of perfection), and for a hotel in the middle of an urban area, peepholes would seem kind of obvious. I’m quite surprised that this is not a requirement on the part of the Swiss Tourism Association, or whatever regulatory body is supposed to categorise hotels in the country. A couple of times people mixed up my room with the room next to it and knocked on my door – completely harmless, but I felt a little bit insecure opening the door without having any idea of who was on the other side. Still, this was not a major issue, and I would stay in the hotel again – though maybe not in the summer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

The location was perfect. The staff were nice and helpfull and the breakfast was very good.
The room was small but I didn't look for a bigger one.
It was not cheap but I think it was fair.
Around the hotel you'll find everything. Clubs, shops, restaurantes, transports and everything else.
It's great to have a big train station in 5 minutes.
You can also reach to the lake in less than 10min.
The city has a small offer of culture and it's not good for tourism lots of shops close on sundays.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed here at the end of our vacation in Switzerland to be near the train station and airport. The location is good, but the rooms are VERY disappointing. The room was small, sad and uncomfortable. You definitely wouldn't want to be in the room any more than absolutely necessary. The staff was fine, but not overly friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim00018

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

The central location sold this hotel to us, but it could have been so much better. The reception staff were efficient but unfriendly and the hotel was soulless. The breakfast was ok, plenty of it, room was large enough and clean - no frills. And a double room has two single beds pushed together which isn't great when you're on a romantic break.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lesmagsam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed her on business for the location (beside the train station). I was disappointed by the rooms - they were drab and small, no duvets, outdated bathrooms - I wouldn't want to spend much time there. Service was great, however.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate H
Cobble Hill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

The hotel was quite basic, I had a modest upgrade to the top floor and I gather a slightly larger room. Interesting ceiling beams, watch your head. I had good front desk service and the buffet breakfast is standard European and good. Location close to Cornivan Station and central. Like everything else in Geneva is quite expensive for what you get. But on par with most hotels in the city. I would rate it as a 3 star. Has a modest gym with 3 pieces of equipment. I was the only person that used it during my five day stay which cost me about 1600 SF.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

To be clear, I didn't stay at this hotel - but this is an experience had while trying to meet a friend who did that says a lot about its service standard.
I was trying to contact a friend who was staying at this hotel and was telephoning her through reception. Unbeknown to me and my friend, the telephone in her room was broken, so every time I called, I was told she was on the line. This was over an one hour period. Eventually I asked if I could leave a message and the reply was "sir, I already have 40 message for Madame, I cannot take another one". He refused the service of taking a message for his guest.

Eventually, the friend realized her phone was broken and asked reception if anyone had called her. "Non Madame" was the reply from the same receptionist.

I've no idea what the rooms are like (so have marked them average due to having to mark something) but their acceptable service level is woeful.

• Stayed October 2012