Hotel Kipling - Manotel Geneva
Hotel Royal(Geneva)
  • Room Service
Warwick Geneva(Geneva)
1,068 results
All reviewscolonial styletrain stationnice hotelthe red light districtold townside streetsister hotelhotel is locatedthree starcity taxgood sizeminute walkconvenient locationquiet streetnice bathroomnon smoking roompublic transport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed in Geneva regularly over the last few months and have stayed in many of the hotels in the centre. The Kipling is always my first choice if it has availability. The rooms are a reasonable size, comfortable and well decorated, the hotel itself is quiet, the rooms can be made dark at night and the beds are comfortable. All the essentials for a comfortable stay and a good night's sleep! Prices are usually reasonable (for Geneva anyway!). The location is also good - close to the station and lots of restaurants, but not actually in the red light district unlike many other places.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James R
HotelKipling, Directeur général at Hotel Kipling - Manotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear James R,
First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen the Kipling for your reservation in Geneva.
We are proud to have you as a regular customer.
We look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.
With my best regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The room was a nice size and the hotel is very attractive. We chose it because we were only staying one night and it was close to the train station but I found it's location somewhat inconvenient to the center of Geneva where we spent all of our time. I didn't feel unsafe in the neighborhood but we didn't feel tempted to hang out there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HotelKipling, Directeur général at Hotel Kipling - Manotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear SuzyQZA,
I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience regarding your last stay with us.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We started our Switzerland vacation with 2 nights with the Kipling Manotel at the beginning of our trip. The location is super convenient from the Cornavin train station, within a short walking distance even with heavy luggage. Our flight arrived very early in the morning and our room was not available yet. The Front Desk staff Jeremy was very helpful. He pointed out the sights around Geneva, old town area. Showed us where to catch the tram (Mole stop on Tram 15)

They stored our luggage in their locked room. We walked to the lake front promenade. Spent the morning exploring the areas. Caught the tram back to the hotel to check in by 2:00 pm. The hotel provided free tourist public transportation pass that can be used for tram, bus, boat. Very easy to use and can pretty much get you to any where.

Our room was on the 4th floor facing away from the street. Very quiet and clean. We had two twin beds pushed together to make a "King". The room had an ashtray, which was surprising. Didn't realize we could have gotte stuck with a smoking room that stunk like cigarettes. Luckily the room had no odor of any kind. The room has a TV, small desk and 2 chairs. The bathroom is very roomy, with plenty of towels: Big bath towels, hand towels, and wash cloths.

Some reviews of this hotel addressed the safety of this neighborhood. We've only travelled in the day time. This area is very busy and feels very safe. But with any large cities, we are always cautious, only walk on main streets, and used the tram as much as we can. We did walk to the waterfront by going straight down Rue de Navigation. In the day time it seemed perfectly fine. But imagine like any dark alleys, night time takes on a while another character.

Hotel offers free internet wi fi access. Breakfast is not included with the room. 18 swiss frances per person, which we decided we can have a quick breakfast for much less at the local bakery.

Dear Brown_Samantha,
Than you so much your wonderful and detailled comment on your experience at the hotel Kipling.
I am really glad to read that you very much enjoyed your time with us as well as our city. There is so much to discover...
Hopefully on your next visit you will discover our nice buffet breaksfast.
With my best regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Kipling for 2 nights at the beginning of our visit to Switzerland, and one night on the return. The hotel is conveniently close to the main railway station (close enough to walk with wheeled 20kg suitcases) and within walking distance of the main lake front area. The staff are all friendly and helpful, and speak English well. The hotel is nicely decorated with a colonial (Kipling) theme, and is in an excellent state of repair. Our room was a reasonable size, with air conditioning and bath / shower. It was quiet, with the exception of a yodeller ;-) somewhere outside on one night, but as expected he didn't last beyond 10pm! The bed was comfortable. Overall, I would agree with other reviewers that it could well deserve 4* status.

One good test of hotel staff is how they deal with "difficult" customers, and I must confess that as a result of making a mistake with the bill I was a little difficult. The lady receptionist was the model of politeness, and we were able to part on good terms.

My wife and I are over 60 and walked in the area around the hotel each evening we were there. We had a laugh after straying into the red light district on our way back from the lake front, but were really fine.

It is disappointing that the hotel doesn't provide meals in the evening, as there seemed to be a shortage of decent restaurants nearby, and the ones on the lakefront were very expensive. Normally a sister hotel nearby offers a discount on meals, but was being refurbished. Breakfast was excellent, however, and it was wonderful to make proper tea in our room, which also had a well stocked mini-bar.

Thank you to all the managers and staff for making the Kipling a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We were surprised to find an ashtray in our room; there was a faint smell of tobacco. Ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelKipling, Directeur général at Hotel Kipling - Manotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear StaffordshireOak,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your feddback through Tripadvisor further to your stay here at the Kipling Hotel.
We were glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team regarding service and professionalism.
Thank you for your valuable comments wich allow us to improve the quality of our services.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for your next trip to Geneva.
With my best personal regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Kipling for 3 nights during a 10 day tour of Switzerland.

First, the Pros: The hotel itself is really lovely, and the front desk staff were all incredibly kind and so helpful. We had questions regarding day excursions each morning, and every staff member we encountered was super helpful. Our room was nice and clean, with all the amenities we could need, as well as complimentary mini Toblerones upon our arrival. The colonial décor is stylish and charming. The hotel is also conveniently very close to public transportation, just blocks away from the Gare Cornavin, and a 45 second walk from the tram. There are also lots of dining options nearby, which is important to know, as the hotel doesn’t have a restaurant. The breakfast spread was really nice, as well. There were plenty of options including several types of breads, pastries, yogurts, fruits, eggs, meats, cheeses, and beverages. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast.

The Cons: This hotel is located in an unsafe part of the city. On our way to the hotel from the train station on the first day, (we did not walk along the main street, but rather along back alleys, very much accidentally) we were surrounded and followed by several men who made us very nervous. We were beyond thankful to arrive at the hotel unscathed. Every time we left and returned to the hotel, we felt extremely uncomfortable walking through certain areas as we would become surrounded by groups of men walking extremely close to us and watching our every move. On a walk to the Edelweiss Restaurant at the end of the street one night, we were sure we were about to be mugged, but fortunately another group of tourists appeared and this seemed to perhaps deter the men. Also, after dark every night that we were there, we heard loud yelling and noises coming from the street below where these men were congregated. I can only imagine what was going on down there, but it certainly didn’t make us feel safe.

To me, safety outweighs interior charms and amenities, and therefore I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. If you have already made reservations to stay here, keep your purses/wallets close to you, make sure to only carry small amounts of money with you when you come and go from the hotel, and leave your expensive jewelry and belongings in your hotel room’s safe. Also, when you leave the hotel, don't turn right and walk down the alleys. Go left and stay on the main streets. Otherwise, just do not stay here.

3  Thank sardawg

Dear sardawg,
I was sorry to read your disapointement with reference to the location of the hotel.
Geneva is made up of dozens of small districts, very different from each others. The one you mentioned is called "Les Pâquis". Even if this district is popular, most of Geneva's palaces are located nearby. Nevertheless, I'm very disappointed that your experience was degraded by insecurity feeling you mentioned on your review. Maybe something unusual happened and I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly ( +41 22 544 40 40) in order to discuss what happened and to allow me to investigate personally about it.
However, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Kipling Hotel.
I am most pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel services and public areas.
Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us.You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.
With my best personal regards,