Eden Hotel Geneva
US$354
US$335
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbotanical gardensjardin botaniqueinternational organizationspalais des nationsfree ticketsbus stopunited nationsnice hotelcity centrequiet areanice breakfastrooms are smallbreakfast was includedpublic transportcomfortable roomeasy accessinternet access
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked this hotel through the Geneva tourist Office as it was a combined price to include city travel and a seat at the truly magnificent firework display.
We were not dissapointed with any aspect of this trip , the service and the room , albeit small , was everything we needed.The room was spotlessly clean with a nice shower room , mini bar , balcony and AC.
Breakfast was buffet style to include all the normal French breads , fresh fruit , large cheese board , ham eggs and salami , we were now set up for the day.
Service is friendly yet proffesional.
Within easy reach of the city by bus (numbers 1 or 25 ) the hotel is opposite the Botanical Gardens which are situated on the lake.
If you get the chance to get to Geneva stay at this great little hotel and check the dates for next years Fireworks , 55 minutes of the best I have ever seen

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the building are nice , but its a quiet area anyway
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aspirebern
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased to know that you had a nice stay in Geneva at Hotel Eden. We are glad that you found our location convenient during your stay with us.
Hope to welcome you again, maybe for the next firework.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I chose this hotel based on recommendations from colleages after staying in a larger and more popular hotel in a previous visit. I was dissapointed of my previous hotel but this one was a definite improvement.

Eden is clean and quiet and has A/C and wifi which are not always available in this city. Business center (UN and ITU) plus a choice of dining places are within walking distance, or a short bus trip (free). The rooms are small but this is standard for Europe; they look very modern and well kept. Bathroom is small but convenient (except that water pressure was somewhat higher than my preference...) and service is welcoming and helpful. They have umbrellas you can use during your stay which is very helpful in Geneva... Cost may seem higher than other hotels, but with the very nice breakfast included, it's definitely not a bad deal.

If I visit Geneva will likely choose Eden again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, which I have shared with our staff. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a 2-day break in Geneva after visiting Lausanne. Out of the two cities, I prefer Lausanne; to me, there is something special about Lausanne whilst Geneva felt more "typical European city" to me, and Lausanne is a good base for exploring the rest of Switzerland.

We picked the Eden based on reviews on Tripadvisor. We didn't want to be in the Paquis/Cornavin area because we'd heard about the red light district (which colleagues and friends tell me isn't really that bad anyway), and the Eden hotel was right opposite a park. It took about 20 minutes to walk into central Geneva from this hotel, which for us wasn't bad, but bear this in mind if you're not a walker.

The hotel was a little old-fashioned - a very heavy key for entry, and older-style decor. We did however have a safe, fairly fast Wifi with no repeat login to access it, and air con in the room and I think we were lucky with the room size - we were in room 108 which on the fire exit floor plan did seem to be much bigger than others on the floor, and could accommodate 3 people (we had a king size and a single bed in our room). The bed was pretty comfortable with nice big pillows.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and had an adequate range. I would have liked to see a couple more healthier options and more fruit.

Reception staff were fairly friendly and helpful and the waiting staff in the restaurant were generally alright. The minibar seemed too cheap to be true, so we had a small bottle of wine from it that instantly tasted like the air had got to it (I know my wines fairly well). I took it to reception who tried convincing me it tasted how it should (and even said someone else had complained the night before too!), but nevertheless, they took me to one of the waitresses who tried convincing me the same. She opened another one to let me try it which was fine, and let me have that bottle instead without extra charge, so I was pleased that the issue was resolved but wasn't so impressed it had been a bit of hassle to get to that stage, especially with the convincing. We had the same waitress serving us dinner the afterwards on the same night and I felt the atmosphere was a little tainted as she remembered me...

Having only been to Geneva once, I felt we picked a good hotel based on the reviews and it wasn't the best hotel in the world, but good enough for us, and we did enjoy the walk into town each day. I would probably try somewhere else next time, but mainly to try different areas rather than due to this hotel itself. It would be nice to see this hotel modernised a little.

Room Tip: Room sizes seem to vary. We were in 108 which seemed the biggest on the floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyingporcupine

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel.
I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to your review.
I am glad to hear that you found our hotel generally comfortable, convenient and well-equipped. I am also pleased that you found the reception staff friendly and the minibar good value. But I would like to apologise sincerely for your experience with the bottle of wine. This should have been replaced immediately, courteously and without question. I have spoken to the staff concerned, and have taken measures to ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you for your specific feedback, as it helps us to monitor and improve our level of service.
Satisfaction and well-being of our customers is our first priority at Hotel Eden and we hope you will give us a second chance the next time you visit Geneva.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I'm Swiss, however what Hotel do here, they should not complain about bad business. They still do not understand what customers want and expect to get!
Room was clean, however small, looking to the busy road, no lake view, just into trees.
Bathroom very small, no soap to wash your hands.
Breakfast room tiny too, nothing extraordinary all the for CHF 260.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cherog
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment.
I would like to apologise for the missing bathroom amenities; this is of course not our standard of service. After reading your comment, I discussed this issue with our housekeeping staff.
As a city hotel, we have standard single rooms of a size in line with our hotel category. If you would prefer something larger next time, I recommend that you reserve one of our quiet eastside double rooms for single use.
Our rates vary depending on occupancy. June is a very busy month in Geneva and we believe, compared to our competitors that our rates are at a very reasonable level It is true that we are located close to the lake but because of the beautiful trees in the park located between us and the lake, our rooms do not have a lake view. We certainly do not claim to offer such a view, so I hope that you did not feel that you were misled.
The size of our breakfast room corresponds to the number of rooms and the style of our hotel. If it was exceptionally crowded at a particular moment and this made you uncomfortable please accept my apologies.
Reviews such as yours do not make us happy, but nevertheless help us to improve our service.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I occasionally travel to Geneva to do some work with UNCTAD at the Palais des Nations (PN). There are many hotels in Geneva, but almost all of them are downtown and a fair distance from PN. Two that are close enough to the PN to walk are the Mon Repos and the Hotel Eden, which are next door to one another. They are on the UNCTAD list for recommended hotels and do give a government rate.

I've stayed at both hotels, and find both of them quite comfortable. They are both small, boutique hotels that cater to people like me who are working at the PN or other UN agencies for short periods of time (few days to a few weeks).

I have a slight preference for the Hotel Eden though for a couple of reasons.

Both serve breakfast, which is included in the hotel rate, but the Hotel Eden has the advantage of having a restaurant that serves dinner most nights of the week also. I've had dinner there a few times and found the food to be excellent and quite reasonable (restaurants in Geneva are typically very expensive).

The staff at the Hotel Eden have been very friendly and accommodating. For example, I had let the hotel know by email before I left the USA that my flight was arriving in Geneva around 8 am. The hotel had a room ready for me when I arrived so that I could shower and take a break before walking over to the PN to get signed in. Another example is that my flight back to the USA left very early in the morning and the hotel prepared a packaged breakfast for me to take to the airport since I would miss breakfast in the hotel. A third example is that they recognized me and welcomed me by name each time I came back to the hotel. The restaurant staff have also been very nice and friendly also.

Free wifi throughout the hotel (and the wifi worked well in my hotel room too) has been a real plus.

The hotel is next door to the Botanical Gardens and you can actually walk through the gardens on your way to the PN. The hotel is also very close to Lake Geneva and you can walk to the lake front and along that path to get into the downtown if you want a nice stroll. The hotel also gives you a free bus pass for traveling within the city, which is a nice perk.

So I'm making the Hotel Eden my "hotel of choice" for trips to Geneva. Highly recommended. If they are full, I'd also be very comfortable booking next door at Mon Repos.

A couple of pieces of advice:

Coming in from the airport do remember to pick up the free train ticket before you leave the customs/immigration area. Then check which train track goes to downtown and take that train. You can then take a #1 bus out to the Hotel Eden, getting off at the MINES stop (which is right across the street from the hotel).

If you go back very early in the morning (as I do for flights back to the US) do get a cab. The hotel will order one for you.

In terms of restaurants within easy walking distance of the Hotel Eden, I've tried the Lebanese one that is just up the street (past the Mon Repos). it's very good but expensive. The whole fish dish is amazingly good. There is a pizza restaurant further up the street again (heading into town and on the other side of the street from the Lebanese one) is a family restaurant with a wood fired oven that makes good Italian pizza. I've also eaten at the Korean restaurant, which is a bit past the pizza one, and next to a church that is in the shape of a globe.

Hope this helps for your trip to Geneva!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor because the front street can be quite noisy with cars passing. I like the balconies too for sitting outside.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AggieProf
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very detailed review and comments about your stay at the Hotel Eden. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have forwarded your compliments to my team. We hope to welcome you again on your future stay in Geneva
Léo Stadelmann, General Manager