Hotel Windsor
Ranked #87 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stay there since several years for the press days of the Autosalon. Rooms are very hard to retrieve and very expensive all over Geneva during this time. So I am happy to pay CHF 250 for this hotel. Rooms have been renovated and are very clean. The bath room is very small and this year I experienced low water pressure. It took some time to take a shower. Breakfast is also ok. Staff is very friendly. The surounding is getting worst every year, but so far I had no problem with the red-light-people. The hotel is ideally located for reaching the airport, the town center, the lake and even the opposite side of the lake can be reached easily by foot. But it is not recommended for long stays.

Room Tip: Rooms to the inside of the hotel and beginning at the second floor are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked this hotel for one night in late February via lastminute.com. Paid 66.34 GBP, or approximately 111 USD. So considering the fact it was Geneva where prices are extravagantly high, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
At check-in I was happy to see the modern decor in the lobby -- clean and well-kept. Also, check-in was very efficient and they even let me check in before the listed check-in time. And of course I got my ticket for free use of public transportation within the city (which if I understand correctly, is given at ALL hotels in Geneva).
The room was extremely simple, just the bare basics. And the shower was very tiny. The room was clean, but in need of maintenance. In other words, there was paint peeling off in more than one place, with underlying brick exposed as well in a corner. There was a safe in the closet, however it was locked shut. Perhaps the previous tenant left it that way? No idea; however I would have thought the cleaning staff would have arranged to have it opened on the room change-over. As for the TV, there were a handful of channels, but all the English language channels were unclear and thus I really only had audio. Perhaps biggest complaint for me was the extremely thin walls. I could hear the guests (and their television!) in the adjoining rooms. It was quite a put-off, especially when at some point I thought somebody was coughing up his lungs in the room next door. Not pleasant at all...
Upon check-out I was notified that I had to pay something like 3.50 Swiss Franc as a city tax. And this could NOT be put on my credit card. I wish they would have notified me about this when I originally checked in because I was departing Switzerland and had already spent all my Swiss francs. So, I had to pay with what few euros I had left. And of course the exchange rate used was to my disadvantage...
On a positive note, I checked out at 5am, but since my reservation included breakfast, the desk attendant allowed me to get a cup of coffee and croissant from the kitchen even though the dining room was not open yet. And he gave me very clear directions on the quickest way to get to the train station.
Finally, previous reviews commented about the location of the hotel within the red light district. There is nothing more I can add to this. When I walked through the neighborhood I walked confidently at a brisk pace, and nobody caused me any problems.
Overall, I would say the hotel is very simple and sufficient, with a handful of problems. But if budget is a concern, then it will do...

Room Tip: Room 205 has extremely thin walls and you can hear everything in adjoining rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Windsor for only one night, but had a nice stay non the less. The hotel is in a great location for public transport to and from the airport. Make use of the free public transport to get from the airport to the hotel or it will set you back close to 40EURO by taxi.

Hotel WIndsor is walking distance to the Old Town of Geneva. The room was very tiny, fitting merely a large comfortable king bed and a side table but the room was clean as well as the attached bathroom. Breakfast is included in your room rate and although basic was nice enough to start the day!

It is perhaps a little pricey for what you are getting but this is simply Switzerland. Most hotels are massively overpriced when compared to other hotels of a similar standard around the globe! Hotel Windsor is definitely recommended for a "cheap" stay in Geneva.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights for a recent business trip. And while it is certainly not the worst hotel I have stayed at, I'm not impressed. First of all, I got bitten ~30 times by bed bugs during my first night, including in the face, which was quite embarrassing for my work related business, in addition to just plane gross and itchy. When I reported this to the front desk on the following morning, they pretended to not even know what bedbugs are (maybe it was a language problem, as I don't know what bed bugs are in french? On the other hand, their English was otherwise good). They did move me to a different room after I insisted, and that room appears to have been bed bug free. I travel a lot, and I know it's not necessarily the hotels fault when they have bed bugs, it's after all the travelers that bring these bugs. But this hotel didn't seem to take it seriously, and I don't know if they did anything about it or just gave it to the next person. I also insisted to have one night credited back to me, as I am not paying >$130 to be bitten by bed bugs. The hotel did oblige, but again, instead of offering this, I had to insist on this.

I also lost an item when I moved rooms, and when I noticed it and asked at the front desk it turned out it was found by the room service, but instead of notifying me (I was still in the hotel after all, just in a different room), the person who found it out it into "her" box in the storage room, and it was only retrieved once I reported the loss. To their credit, they did give it back to me instead of pretending it wasn't found, but I still would expect the hotel to notify me when it was found, instead of just storing it.

Finally, the WIFI worked great in the lobby, but no so much in my 4th floor room. It did work there occasionally, but not all the time, so I was stuck working in the lobby when I needed internet. Also, the room lighting was pretty minimal, which made it easy to loose things in the room.

The good: The breakfast was tasty, except the coffee, and the night time receptionist was very nice and pleasant.

Would I stay here again? No, it just had too many negatives.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

There is nothing terrible about this hotel, but it has seen much better days. My room was spartan. The bed was good and linens clean. Bathroom quite cramped but everything functional and clean. The gray paint peeled from the walls in various places, however, and lighting is murky. The room furniture is worn and tired looking. There is not chair to sit in. It has the smallest flat screen TV ever made - bolted to the wall - but it works. The most bothersome thing to me was that it was very smoky smelling even though I was theoretically in a smoke free room and floor. The public areas also have a vaguely bar-like smell.

The neighborhood is not for the nervous as there are prostitutes and young men dealing drugs on most corners. It's also noisy by Geneva standards. Having stayed in this neighborhood many times, I can say that the neighborhood was not a surprise for me nor have I ever felt it was dangerous. But if you are making your once in a lifetime trip to Geneva, you probably wouldn't choose this neighborhood to stay in.

The staff, particularly the older gentleman who worked the desk in the evening, was very friendly and competent. The hotel does offer a modest but decent breakfast.

Bottom line, this is a hotel where you can stay for a reasonable price, the basics are covered, but you won't find much to like about it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Not great experience of this hotel.

Lobby looks run down, the checking desk manned by foreigners who are not the best in speaking English, German or French. There were 3 persons on the checking desks none were Swiss when I checked in.

Price is reasonable but you get you paid for, this is Geneva. Expensive resto but it's like all over Geneva. a can of coke will set you about £4 something.

Public transport is free for tourist and this I did not know. We rented a car at the airport but we did use it to go around lake Geneva

Avoid taking the front rooms, it's not sound proofed and it gets very noisy, especially the front end side facing the tunnel. You will not sleep at all, as the tunnel amplified all the noisy cars.

Room Tip: Avoid front facing room at all costs. Cars zooming in the tunnel makes noise all nights and all the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We booked direct with the hotel, made a few small requests, and when we arrived everything was as promised. Check in took just a few minutes and soon we were in the room, although it was only midday.Hotel s about a 6 minute walk from Cornavin Station, no hassle to walk, as we did. We know the area and have no problem staying there.
Hotel is close to shops, and is surrounded with all types of restaurants and small supermarkets, or cafes.
A fairly ample sized, top floor, back facing room with private shower/toilet. The room is extremely quiet, one can hear a pin drop! Safe, mini fridge, coffee maker, that we do not use, and kettle as requested.The room is equipped with double glazing and electric blind that makes the room completely dark,.Problems, minor as they were were attended to quickly and efficiently.
Rate include breakfast, which is buffet, and more than ample to see one through the day,
There is nothing else to add. Friendly and attentive personnel, ready to assist with all requests.
The hote supplies a travel card for duration of stay, is situated about a 7 minue walk from lake, could not be better located.
Hotel also boasts work-out room and sauna, most probably the only hotel in Geneva that does.

Room Tip: We read that best to request a rear facing room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple