“A fantastic hotel”

Ranked #15 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Bergen, Norway
“A fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We spent a weekend, from Thursday to Sunday on the Intercontinental. From the first second, you realize you are entering a world of comfort, professionalism and discrete pampering. What I liked the most, was how skilled at their jobs everyone was. The staff were at their toes whenever we interacted with them, as well as when observed from a distance. We got the feeling that they all took personal interest in our well being, and gave us an outstanding service.

The Chef Concierge, Mr Nicolas Avril, was the one who became most important to us, we really had nothing in particular planned for Saturday and Sunday. He went far beyond our expectations, and provided us with suggestions, maps, directions, and almost complete itineraries for the two days! What could have become just another Saturday of window shopping, turned out to become an interesting visits to neighboring cities (Montreux and Lausanne) instead, and a spectacular train ride to Rochers-de Naye in a snow storm, at an altitude of more than 2000 meters. Talk about a nice place to enjoy hot, Swiss Fondue in the restaurant! Back in Geneva, he provided us with reservations for a classy and nice rerstaurant, and even suggestions for what to eat! I trusted the edvice completely, and even the food he suggested was great!

On Sunday we visited various points of interest, restaurants and museums in the old town of Geneva. We were taken places we would never have come just by coincidence, and we really had a good time. All this due to what the concierge put together for us, so on top of everything else at The Intercontinental, he really made our stay something to remember!

The food at the restaurant was top quality, and second to none in this price segment. The breakfasts were very good, remember to take advantage of what they offer a´la minute at no extra cost. and since this is a popular business hotel, it was relatively quiet on the weekend.

The room was spacious, clean and the bed was probably the best I ever slept in at a hotel! The staff of the Clarins Spa at the 2nd floor were just as professional and clever as the rest, and the massage was fantastic! The fitness facilities were nice, and the drinks at the ground floor bar were great.

The hotel is nicely located between the airport and city center, and bus number 5 departs between these two destinations via the Intercontinental every 10 minutes. What is even better, is that free tickets for all public transport is issued to the hotel´s guests for the whole duration of their stay. The public transport of Geneva is extremely well developed, busses, trams and trains are quite new, clean, secure and on time. We had no need for the use of taxis during our stay, even if we normally are frequent to use them on trips to places where we are not familiar.

All in all, this is a truly magnificent hotel, and even if it is pricey (well, nothing is cheap in Geneva), it is worth every penny!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have lake- and / or mountain wiew (Mont Blanc), weather permiting.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank polsesnabb
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel décor and services. Warm comments such as yours are most important and very useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all persons concerned.

We can assure you that you will always be most welcome to the InterContinental Genève on the occasion of your future stays in the City of Calvin.

Looking forward to the pleasure of meeting you personally soon, I remain,

Michel Perret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Fair enough, the Intercon is a Geneva landmark and I've stayed there without any problem, as have many friends and colleagues. You pay a lot, but then, this is Geneva. However, one particular incident stands out - it would damaging in a lower category hotel but here it is absolutely unacceptable.

After a conference two colleagues and I had an hour to kill and some hunger to fill so we headed for the Intercon's lobby bar. Expensive (fine, that's expected) so we each ordered a hamburger. We did mention we had to get to the airport in an hour as we asked for our hamburgers to be well done. After 25 minutes and no waiter, I walked to the bar (where several staff had congregated and were chatting) to check on the hamburgers' status and was quite curtly told that 'of course it takes time since you want it well done'. I politely replied we had mentioned our flights and that THAT would have been the time to warn us. The headwaiter actually shrugged his shoulders and turned away!

We waited a full 45 minutes for our food. We gulped everything down, the hamburgers were disgusting - well done, but utterly dry and tasteless. Again I couldn't get a waiter's attention to pay and had to walk back to the bar to request a bill.

This may seem pithy in the grand scheme of things but the Intercon is used to receiving heads of state (I happened to be accompanied by a former Health Minister and very senior UN dignitary) so they should know better. Only the BEST staff should be working here, and anything even hinting of impatience and rudeness should be hidden beneath layers of charm - especially given what we are paying for that charm.

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Scribetrotter
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the regrettable situation you and your colleagues encountered during your stay at the hotel last November. An appropriate investigation was conducted and it appears that, following some comments received by our Bar des Nations and Room Service team concerning the hamburger taste, our Chef decided to change its ingredients.

Furthermore, you may rest assured that the attitude adopted by the waiter who served you on that occasion is actually not representative of the quality of service we are used to offering to our guests. It goes without saying that appropriate measures have been taken consecutively.

Hoping you will forgive us for the inconvenience caused and give us another chance to show you our real vision of the Swiss hospitality, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in a not too distant future.

Best regards,

Gibraltar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I visit Geneva twice a year and have done for a while now, last year I stayed in the Intercontinental as I didn't have time to look for cheaper options in the area, I was visiting the Palais Des Nations so the location was perfect for me. Like most Intercontinentals the Hotel is a class act, decor is sofisticated if maybe a tad old fashioned, service is great and staff very friendly, as you would expect. What I feel lets the place down is the price, OK I know Geneva is very expensive and most people staying here are on company expenses but seriously 500 Euros a night for a standard room is ridiculous, prices at the restaurant and bar are also crazy.

Luckily I managed to find Hotel Eden which is also just by the Palais, not 5-Star but service is just as good and has all the amenities you need. (+ Wireless Internet for Free), but only costs around 180 Euros a night.

Conclusion: Only stay here if money is not an issue!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Piero8181
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel services. Good comments such as yours are most important for us and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all team members concerned.

Despite your remark on our room prices, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and remain,

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I stayed at the intercontinental for 11 nights. The overall experience for my stay was great, the staff are very professional, efficient in a discreet way. Excellent location for my business at the Palais des Nations. Transport is very well catered for whether it is a taxi required or the bus which stops outside the hotel. The Internet is fast and was complimentary.

One thing that was disappointing was that the complimentary bottle of water was only offered on the day of arrival after which I was informed that water would not be provided on complimentary basis so it was a surprise that on the 8th day I got another complimentary bottle of water. I have travelled widely and this small gesture even in small hotels is very welcome. It would also be nice if hand and body lotion was offered in the complimentary bathroom accessories, which I must say was a good array.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the saleve mountain are a better deal than those facing the backside overlooking a busy...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Warm comments such as yours are most important for us and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all team members concerned.

Furthermore we have taken good note of your remarks on the complimentary bottle of water.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for your next visit in the City of Calvin, we remain,

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Due to snow storms in Zurich I had late arrival at Geneva International Airport and I check in well over 11:00 PM. I took a taxi to the hotel, a hotel boy has opened the door for me and took my luggage. Check in went smoothly. As i was hungry I was told that the main restaurant is closing soon and directed to the hotel bar overlooking the reception lobby. I went with the Hamburger served with Fries - I must be honest, it wasn't anything special. The room had a fresh and modern look with a comfy bed, my window overlooked some kind of a apartment compound. Though the rooms were all modern and new, I had an impression that the bathrooms were only partially redone with old "American Standard" bath and sink. In the morning I was shocked from what I have seen and tasted - that had to be the best breakfast in all my hotel stays this year, the choice was impossible to be bored. The only problem with the hotel is the location - it is kind of in a middle of nowhere and price - I stayed there in March during the Geneva Motor Show and the room was well over 400 CHF for a two with breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay for the breakfast - best thing that can happen to you
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Sir,

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel services, especially our breakfast buffet. Very good comments such as yours are most important for us and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all team members concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon, we remain,

Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as a leisure break.
The hotel was increadibly expensive and our expectations were high having stayed in other 5-star hotels.
On our arrival our room was not ready and we were asked to wait for 1h 30mins without the offer of any complimentary beverge or snack.
After 1h30 we were asked to wait for upto another 2 hours as we were told the "hotel was busy!" Again no offer of refreshments.
With our first day in Geneva being wasted we complained again and my husband and I were given a smoking room with two single beds in it- completely inappropriate (both non-smokers) which we refused.
Eventuallywe just left the hotel without a room and went to dinner.

Finally our room was ready in the evening. The room was small but clean and nice- very simmilar to a premier inn room (nice but definately no more than 3 stars). Unfortunately the room overlooked a car park& noisey main road and was close to the lifts which we had to listen to throughout the night... In fact if it was a premier inn at least we would have got our money back!

We would not recommend this hotel for any leisure breaks as it is more set-up for business use (particulary as their companies will pay these unbelieveable prices).
We were treated as second class citizens to the business people throughout our stay.

• Stayed December 2011
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We have taken good note of your various comments and are sorry to hear that the hotel services did not meet your expectations. Actually the hotel ran a very high occupancy over that period, that is the reason why we were not able to have your room ready at 2pm. Please accept our sincere apologies for not having offered you some refreshments and for not having handled the situation more efficiently, you may rest assured that this is not the way we are used to treating our guests. Proper reminders have been forwarded to the Front Office to remedy to this.

However, we have also well noted that you did not like the new room décor. For your information, the famous New-Yorker designer Tony Chi was in charge of all the hotel renovation, creating rooms and living spaces with contemporary design and pure lines. Of course we totally understand that this style may not suit to everyone.

Once again, we do apologize for all the inconvenience caused. Nevertheless, we do hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back and show you our vision of the real Swiss hospitality on another occasion.

Sincerely Yours,

Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

The Intercontinental is a slick and modern business hotel situated quite a way out of the centre of Geneva. The lobby and bars are impressive and sophisticated: on a grand scale with low lighting, open fireplaces, plenty of seating. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was smart, clean and comfortable, with an excellent bed. The only downside is the location of the hotel: it's not particularly near anything else (apart from the United Nations) and certainly quite a way from the centre of town. But if you're happy eating in the hotel and are looking for a comfortable and smart business hotel, then this is a good option.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank MrBiscotti
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear Sir,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel décor and services. Good comments such as yours are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been duly forwarded to the concerned persons.

Furthermore, we have taken good note of your remarks on the hotel location. We are indeed not located near the lake but, thanks to the travel pass offered to each guest, they can explore Geneva with Geneva Public Transports, this free of charge. The bus n°5 stops just in front of the hotel and it takes only 10 minutes to go downtown or to the airport.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Genève soon, we remain,

Sincerely Yours,