“Very nice stay in Geneva”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #14 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Rockville, Maryland
“Very nice stay in Geneva”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Upon entry, you notice that this is a sleek, modern hotel, though devoid of local character. Basically your standard, upscale businessperson’s hotel. It is contemporary and has all the expected conveniences, plus free and fast Internet. The only pool is an outdoor one, and I didn’t try the exercise room or spa services, so I can’t comment on those.

I was informed upon check-in that, as an Ambassador member, I was upgraded to a “deluxe” room. The room seemed to be a typical size, so I think the only deluxe part was the view of the lake and mountains. But it was appreciated nonetheless. You can crack the top of the window open if you want fresh air, but you can’t open it very far. The king bed I had was very comfortable, making it difficult to get up for my meetings! There is a long desk for working, but it is pretty narrow. There is an electric kettle in the room, equipped with supplies for tea and coffee, plus, of course, an expensive mini-bar. My floor was very quiet, though I did see other guests coming and going, so the rooms seem to be quite soundproof.

The bathroom is very small, though perfectly functional. There is no counter space, so you are out of luck if you like to spread your cosmetics/toiletries around. The shower is a powerful, “rainfall” type shower with plenty of hot water. Nice fluffy robes are provided. If you need a hairdryer, it is located in one of the small clothing drawers, not in the bathroom.

I had a very nice club sandwich at the lobby/bar café, next to a (gas lit) fireplace, which was cozy. The food is very good, but expensive (what isn’t in Geneva?). I'm not a big breakfast person so I didn't try the buffet breakfast.

The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes by taxi from the airport. For my meetings at the United Nations, all I had to do was walk down the hill for about 10 minutes and I was there. If it is raining you can catch the #5 bus right next to the hotel, it is just 1 stop to the UN (stop is called “Nations”). The hotel provided me with a free transit card (which seems to be the case at all hotels in Geneva). Geneva is a small city with a well-functioning public transportation system, so the hotel location is not really an issue. I liked being able to walk to my meetings at the UN, and the #5 bus or the #15 tram (from Nations) take you quickly into town. I took public transport all over Geneva and it was very easy to figure out.

What took the cake (forgive the pun) for this InterCon is that on my birthday, I was surprised to find a large and decadent piece of chocolate cake and a small bottle of champagne chilling in my room after returning from a long day of meetings. I hadn’t informed anyone that it was my birthday, but I guess someone noticed from my passport or Ambassador information. This was a very unexpected surprise, at an age which I don’t really get excited about gaining another year ; ). I would definitely return to this hotel for my next business trip to Geneva.

1 Thank 2ksmom
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

It is a real pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us last October. Your very good and detailed feedback is most important for us and was of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

Furthermore, we were more than delighted to brighten your day with the surprise chocolate cake and its champagne.

Please be assured that, should your plans bring you back soon to the City of Calvin, we will be really pleased to welcome you to the hotel again.

Best regards,

Michel Perret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The Hotel InterContinental is about a five minute walk up a slight hill from the United Nations. It can be easily accessed by the #5 bus from the airport or from the center of Geneva itself. There's a bus stop adjacent to the hotel. Given the free travel pass within Geneva for visitors, this is the most convenient and least expensive method of transferring to the hotel from the airport. While the hotel is not in downtown Geneva, again, the #5 bus or the tram from the UN both provide quick service to center city at no cost to the visitor.

The hotel itself has a quiet and well-staffed lobby environment; check-in was rapid, and I was permitted to check in to my room at 9am local time after a red-eye flight from the US, an unexpected and pleasantly-received bonus. I had been sure to include breakfast in my room rate so took advantage of that fact as well. Breakfast, the only meal I had at the hotel, was wonderful, with Japanese, Chinese, and local menus included as part of the buffet. Local meats, smoked salmon, cheeses, and a wide array of both hot and cold dishes were all available with an excellent presentation and maintenance throughout the meal service. Eggs in all styles of cookery were available as were various breads. Breakfast alone made this a wonderful stay.

As for the room, it was a comfortable and well-equipped room slightly smaller than typical US accommodations. The heating system was quiet and the shade for the window darkened the room thoroughly. On the 15th floor, some road noise can be heard but it was in no way annoying. The bathroom has a nicely adjusted shower, bidet, and single sink with good lighting and extensive mirrors for ease of shaving. The bathroom is a slight step above the room level as if it might have radiant heating, but the floor was room temperature. The bath towels are hung on a warming radiator, but the radiator was cold and had no apparent switch to turn it on. The room has multiple outlets of the angled three prong Swiss variety, a two prong European standard, and a US outlet. My US outlet did not work so I obtained a converter from the front desk that allowed me to use my 120/220 capable computer adaptors. Room lighting is somewhat on the dim side overall. Phone calls to me from the States were quickly and properly sent to my room and the room phone has speaker and conferencing capabilities. WiFi is included in the room rate - the wifi is smoother than most stateside facilities and did not require constant entering of the password each time I woke my computer from sleep. The bed was comfortable with a somewhat firm base and warm duvet cover. No bedside clock is present. Lighting can be turned on from the bed and has a pleasing slow ramp-up speed. Rooms are served by four elevators and I never found there to be a long wait.

Overall, the stay was very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Sir,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your last stay at the hotel. Warm and detailed comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Starnberg, Germany
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel on a business trip and was extremely impressed with the hotel facilities and the quality of the service / staff. Everybdy from the doorman, bellboy, reception, concierge, restaurant and bar staff could not have been more friendly or professional.

The hotel building looks very 80s from the outside. In contrast, as soon as you enter the hotel, everything is very chic with an understated opulence. I particularly liked the wood art behind reception as well as the wooden table on the way to the restaurant. My room on the other hand took me back in time a bit: while comfortable and providing all the basic needs, it was very dated and failed in design aesthetics. The bathroom could also use a some improvement and the bath tub has no non-slip aids which can be quite a nuisance. Breakfast is quite good but could use some improvements such as a wider selection and maybe a live cooking station for omelettes, pancakes, etc... The bar has a decent selection of whiskeys which were very welcomed at the end of a long day of meetings.

Although not in the centre, getting there is very easy as the hotel provides a free public transport card for the duration of your stay. Naturally, taxis are also readily available. There are a couple of very good casual restaurants very close to the hotel: Café du Soleil for excellent fondue and Le Point du Jour for excellent pasta. both less that 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and would probably stay there again if I am back in Geneva.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Concerning the décor, the famous New-Yorker designer Tony Chi was in charge of all the hotel renovation, creating rooms and living spaces with contemporary design and pure lines. Of course we totally understand that this style may not suit to everyone.

We have also taken good note of your remarks on the breakfast.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcome you back to the InterContinental Genève, we remain,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Recently I had a short stay at the hotel. While it is not in the city center, the location is actually not bad and is adjacent to a bus stop which connects the airport to the city center and going in either direction takes just 5 minutes. Moreover , every visitor is provided with a free journey pass that's valid on all the local transport - something really excellent.
Check in was average and being an Ambassador card holder I was upgraded from a standard room to a deluxe room. Apparently the difference is in the view only as the room was really tiny to say the least. It had a comfortable king bed a tiny compact bathroom but had all the necessary amenities. I had a good view of the city ahead as well as the lake. They had forgotten to provide the amenities given to ambassadors and I had to remind them. This included 2 apples, 1 bottle of sparkling water, 1 still water and a small box of chocolates.
All the staff were very nice and friendly and helpful as well. Check out was a breeze too. This is one the properties where using your reward points is very beneficial as the rack rate of this tiny room was over a thousand Swiss francs! Everything in Switzerland is ever so expensive and the hotel is therefore no exception.
The only drawback of this hotel is that it lacks a Club lounge and there are no convenience stores or supermarkets next to it. Otherwise I have been overall very happy and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the check-in and check-out as well as the missing amenities in your room.

United States
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed one night with my family at the Intercontinental in Geneva before taking my flight back to the US. After a 3 weeks tour around the French alps and the South of France, our stay in that hotel was the best we could expect for the end of our vacation. Switzerland has a reputation for its excellence in service particularly in the hotel industry. Once again, this one hotel night showed that is true. Excellent service at the door, at check-in, at the pool and at the restaurant. That is true that excellence has a price particularly when it comes to invoices in Swiss Francs, but it it true also that other "palaces" in Europe do not come close to what is offered at the Intercontinental. However, we have to acknowledge that the rear view of the hotel is nothing comparable with the view on the lake. So, if you have the option, ask for the lake view.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel décor and services. Warm comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all persons concerned.

We can assure you that you will always be most welcome to the InterContinental Genève on the occasion of your future stays in the City of Calvin.

Looking forward to that pleasure, we remain,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were very impressed with this hotel when we arrived, the decor and reception were amazing and definitely 5 star plus. However I would say the rooms whilst nice were more like a 4 star & disappointed me a little. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
Beware though, it is very very expensive here. We were charged approx £30 per head for breakfast and I paid over £10 for a small glass of red wine and another £10 for a milkshake!
The facilities were lovely, great gym and heated outdoor pool. The hotel is about a ten minute taxi ride to the centre of Geneva which was around £22 each way. So overall a very expensive stay as in Geneva everything is expensive as you would expect and there is no middle ground. A lovely place though, will maybe go there again if I win the lottery!!

Room Tip: Probably worth upgrading the room to get the whole 5 star experience that fits with the rest of the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel services and public areas. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Regarding your comments on our rates, please kindly note there are equivalent to those proposed in the other 5-star hotels in Geneva.

Israel
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed there in room 815
Excellent free internet service
Excellent breakfast
The room is clean and very charmimng coming back after a long day of meeting
The service was tiop class and you do not wait for than 2 minuths in the Q for check in check out

Room Tip: stayed in room 815 Excelletn view a lot of space
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your last stay at the hotel. Very good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.