Upon entry, you notice that this is a sleek, modern hotel, though devoid of local character. Basically your standard, upscale businessperson’s hotel. It is contemporary and has all the expected conveniences, plus free and fast Internet. The only pool is an outdoor one, and I didn’t try the exercise room or spa services, so I can’t comment on those.
I was informed upon check-in that, as an Ambassador member, I was upgraded to a “deluxe” room. The room seemed to be a typical size, so I think the only deluxe part was the view of the lake and mountains. But it was appreciated nonetheless. You can crack the top of the window open if you want fresh air, but you can’t open it very far. The king bed I had was very comfortable, making it difficult to get up for my meetings! There is a long desk for working, but it is pretty narrow. There is an electric kettle in the room, equipped with supplies for tea and coffee, plus, of course, an expensive mini-bar. My floor was very quiet, though I did see other guests coming and going, so the rooms seem to be quite soundproof.
The bathroom is very small, though perfectly functional. There is no counter space, so you are out of luck if you like to spread your cosmetics/toiletries around. The shower is a powerful, “rainfall” type shower with plenty of hot water. Nice fluffy robes are provided. If you need a hairdryer, it is located in one of the small clothing drawers, not in the bathroom.
I had a very nice club sandwich at the lobby/bar café, next to a (gas lit) fireplace, which was cozy. The food is very good, but expensive (what isn’t in Geneva?). I'm not a big breakfast person so I didn't try the buffet breakfast.
The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes by taxi from the airport. For my meetings at the United Nations, all I had to do was walk down the hill for about 10 minutes and I was there. If it is raining you can catch the #5 bus right next to the hotel, it is just 1 stop to the UN (stop is called “Nations”). The hotel provided me with a free transit card (which seems to be the case at all hotels in Geneva). Geneva is a small city with a well-functioning public transportation system, so the hotel location is not really an issue. I liked being able to walk to my meetings at the UN, and the #5 bus or the #15 tram (from Nations) take you quickly into town. I took public transport all over Geneva and it was very easy to figure out.
What took the cake (forgive the pun) for this InterCon is that on my birthday, I was surprised to find a large and decadent piece of chocolate cake and a small bottle of champagne chilling in my room after returning from a long day of meetings. I hadn’t informed anyone that it was my birthday, but I guess someone noticed from my passport or Ambassador information. This was a very unexpected surprise, at an age which I don’t really get excited about gaining another year ; ). I would definitely return to this hotel for my next business trip to Geneva.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental 5-star luxury hotel, newly redesigned provides amazing views of the Mont Blanc, of Lake Geneva and Geneva City. It's a 3-minute walk from the United Nations and within a 5-minute drive from the International Centre of Congress CICG and the Palexpo Exhibition Centre. The spacious and elegant 333 rooms and Suites at the InterContinental Geneva have free Wi-Fi, free tea and coffee-making facilities, are air-conditioned and feature cable TV. Dining options include modern international cuisine and seasonal specialties served in the gourmet restaurant, which features a well-stocked wine cellar and a terrace. At the bar Les Nations, guests can enjoy a wide range of drinks, listen to live piano music, and browse in books and magazines. A sophisticated urban-style bar, Le Fumoir seduces you with its original cocktails and a selection of international cigars. The 4306 ft² Spa by Clarins provides a complete set of beauty and massage treatments. The health and fitness center is open 24 hours and there's a seasonal outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, IHG, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel InterContinental Geneve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneva
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneve