“Terrible - Noisy, under rennovation.”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #14 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Brussels, Belgium
“Terrible - Noisy, under rennovation.”
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Hotel is under rennovation and at the desk the staff said it might be just a little noisy but not bad. When I got to the room it was terribly noisy (jackhammers, etc) - too much to even have a telephone conversation, let alone work or relax. I asked to change rooms as the bellman said the hotel had many open rooms and was not full at all, but the desk pushed back because they said I had only paid for one category. They finally moved me, and even that - the rooms looked like a second-rate Holiday Inn (not to offend Holiday Inn). The room wasn't much better than the first - the noise was a bit better but the construction left the air polluted to where it was hard to breathe and my eyes hurt. I tired to open the windows as much as I could with freezing temperatures outside and just bundle up so I could breathe. I would never stay here again - even after rennovation and I told my travel agent to beware. Stay far away!!!!

• Liked — really, nothing
  • Disliked — construction, noise, bad air because of the construction
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
san francisco
Reviewed 21 October 2008

My company booked this hotel on behalf of me and was charged around $500/night. With the 5-star rating on their web site and beautiful pictures depicting their "standard rooms," I expected this hotel to be worth the price. However, I was shocked when I walked into my room and realized that the majority of the hotel is NOT yet renovated! My $500 room had 1960's decore: brown wallks, turquoise and orange carpet, a blow dryer mounted in a box with a hose the size of a vacuum. Further, there was NO coffee machine, NO iron, and NO alarm clock in the room! After speaking with the management to request a "renovated room," they indicated an additional charge! What-- you are going to charge me more than $500? The management also let me know that there would be noise occuring from 10AM-6PM Monday through Friday.

The only decent aspect of this hotel is the nice fitness center that is 24-hours.

Also be aware that they charge you 45 CHF for breakfast!

My recommendation: stay at another hotel unless you can GUARANTEE you will be placed in a renovated room.

• Liked — Fitness Center
  • Disliked — Room was horribly outdated; they charge you for internet at a busines-hotel; no alarm in room; no coffee in room.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank zoemoedog
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I stayed at Intercontinental for one night. We had booked this hotel in connection with Euro 2008/fotball games. It took a very long time to get my room number and to get clear that the voucher I had from travel agency was ok for me and my 2 guests. It's a pity because the hotel is very nice (just renovated lobby). Rooms are more 'common' (still very good standard) but I understood that they are also on the way to be renovated. Bar is nice. Breakfast was the best part with really fresh and delicious products - from yoghurt, fresh juices, pastry. Concierge was really helpfull (you can get free tramway/bus pass at hotel). Convenient to reach city center (direct tramway - 10 minutes max). Close to the airport (taxi costs about 30CHF or bus 5 goes direct from airport to hotel - there is no shuttle bus inspite of what a taxi driver told us!).

• Liked — breakfast and service of concierge
  • Disliked — time spent at reception
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Anne-Christine
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2008

I was a bit put off when I saw some of the reviews since I had little choice in hotels; I was attending a conference here. The lobby upgrades are very nice & the rooms are still a bit tired as indicated by others (the renovations are still going on). The staff, however, were superb & make for the above ave grade I gave. (It would have been excellent if the upgrades had been finished.) The staff were friendly & helpful (either in English or my more or less usable French). Every time I needed help they went out of their way to accomodate. The waiter at a set dinner even went out to get me a salad when I declined the paté. Not a response you would get most places. Set (conference) dinners are a take-it-or-leave-it service for 200. He had to go down to the kitchens to get me a salad (that HE OFFERED - I didn't ask). This is the kind of service that sets hotels apart.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Rooms needed upgrading
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
midlands
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I had seen the reviews about this hotel and was frankly a bit worried. It turned out to be with good cause. The hotel is OK but no where up to the inter continental standard. The rooms are tired looking and dated. They are slowly refurbishing but its quite a big hotel and it will take time I guess. The rooms were very 70's and retro and a standard room is quite small. The breakfast was good but the waiters were not very attentive. We had to go and ask for coffee etc and clear own plates. Reception staff good though and the local bus into city was very handy (free to guests)

• Liked — front desk staff
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank dave4shell
NJ
Reviewed 29 February 2008

Avoid this hotel. Location not bad for the United Nations but I just got back from a large conference being held there and was appalled that they could use such a place. Two issues - (1) rooms are so badly in need of renovation they are dirty, uncomfortable and very very tired looking, bed was unspeakably uncomfortable and pillows no better than lumpy foam rubber, I could not have had a worse night and my back was in agony next day, (2) there is extensive renovation being conducted for the next 2 years and the noise level in the hotel was intolerable. Do not stay there until complete in 2010. Avoid this hotel, book somewhere else or delay your trip!!

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank TravelinEuropeandUS
New York
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Walking through the recently-redone lobby only unfairly raises expectations. My room was so awful that I was convinced that I was in one of the last un-renovated rooms of the hotel. The reception agreed to change my room (which had a rancid odor) - but the next room was not much better. Old ratty furniture, worn walls, and a bathroom out of the 70s with aggressive lighting. Poor soundproofing. The feeling was actually repressive and depressing, and in total contrast to the cosmetic changes that were done in the lobby area. Other reviewers rave about the breakfast, which is indeed great, but the breakfast and nicely-designed lobby do not make up for the main place the guest stays, which is the room. Also, if you do not speak French, the receptionist and concierge treat you like a moron, as they struggle in their poor English.

Stayed November 2007