“Best location in Geneva - but below standard for a 5 star hotel”

Hotel Metropole Geneve
Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were in a standard room which although a good size it was a little outdated. I know some of the hotel rooms have been updated but we didn't get put in one of those! We had a lake view room which had wonderful views. The hotel has an impressive facade and is probably the best located deluxe hotel in Geneva in terms of proximity to shopping (Rue de Rhone is behind hotel) and access to the Old Town. Most of the 5 star hotels are on the other side of the quay. The concierge and reception desk were attentive but service was certainly not outstanding. The breakfast room was in my opinion a little below standard for a 5 star hotel. It was in quite a small and dark area, located below the hotel's restaurant. The bar and lounge are nice and have a relaxing atmosphere. I think you are paying a premium for location here. It is in a great spot and has more ambiance then some of the other hotels in the city. The views from the roof are incredible. We stayed during the Geneva Festival and the fireworks display on the lake was incredible - our room was a perfect place to watch.

Room Tip: Request a lake view room to make the most of the location of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jessamcd
ManagerGeneva, Responsable commercial at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Swissôtel Metropole Geneva with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Concerning the rooms, we are pleased to inform you that before the summer 2014, all remaining ooms located on the lake side will be reburbished.

We have also taken good note of your remarks on the breakfast.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcome you back.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropole Geneve

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Firstly, I just want to note that the only reason I rate this property a 4 as opposed to a 5 is the room rate charged for the classic room I stayed in! Since I booked this last minute, I paid premium.. but don't get me wrong.. although old-fashioned.. not one of the renovated rooms, it was immaculate and efficient.. would have been a bit of a squeeze for 2 but since I was solo it worked out fine.. Room #219 was a flood-lit, bright, front room facing the lake with a small standing room only balcony right where the flags are attached:-)
Beyond that, everything is 5* here.. from the moment my cab pulled up to my departure, everyone was warm and welcoming.. gracious and professional .. from the wonderful people at the concierge to the folks at check in/out.. to the staff at The Mirror Bar..and the Le Grand Quai restaurant.. room service .. to Florian who took time to explain how to get hot water from the Nespresso machine at 1a;-) Unfortunately, he is the only name I noted in appreciation of his patience while there;-) There's Antonin as well.. who I spoke to when I originally made the res online.. the site froze on me after inserting all requisites including my CC #.. I freaked so called the hotel.. it was the wee hours of the morning there.. Antonin took the time to assure me all was OK and confirmed a smoking room;-)
Bottom line, it was a memorable few days and would certainly return! Next time I'll ask for a room with a steam bathroom.. perfect during these cold Winter days;-) Thank you to all at this magnificent property.. Totally Enjoyed!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Litsa

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Swissotel Metropole Geneva with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the rom price.

I can assure you that our rates are in line with other hotels of similar standards.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Director of sales & marketing

Reviewed 14 November 2013

A hotel with a perfect location for both shopping and business, and also with a wonderful view over Lake Geneva with the Alpine peaks in the background. From here you have a short distance to all the luxury boutiques, the Old Town around the corner and the bridge over to the other side of the lake just outside the door.
The newly renovated rooms in the contemporary yet personal style, beautiful bathroom with the opportunity to have a steam in the shower. Good service with the attentive staff. Can be highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
1  Thank Maria W

Dear Madam,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a comment through trip advisor further to your stay with us here at the Swissôtel Metropole Geneva.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you experienced our new rooms.

Thanking you again for your time and feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back again

Director of sales & marketing

Reviewed 27 September 2013

That' a very nice hotel. I've stayed here for couple of days because there wa a construction on the road in front of the Kempinsky and President Wilson, those are my favorite Geneva hotels. But Swissotel Metropole is also very very nice, and I would definately come back here again.

It's perfectly located just by the old town, in front of the fountain and the flower clock. You're 100 meters away from all the main stores like Bucherer, Cartier, Hermes, Chanel, Dior, and other luxury deigners. You're also close to the main department stores, and stores like Zara and etc.

I've arrived to the hotel at about 9 pm and thery didn't have any rooms of my category that I paid. So they kindly upgraded me to a better room with a separate living room. It was very kind of them and was very much appreciated. Gorgeou bathroom, and the most complicated and fun toilet I've ever seen, it does things you'd never imagine from a toilet, like a cool airdrying.
Gorgeous Bvlgari soaps and shampoos, was in love with them!

There is a very good breakfast served daily, you can also sit outside enjoying the view of the fountain if the weather is ok. VERY nice pastries are served for the breakfast! :)

There is a small gym on the 4th floow but I don't think they have a pool, though I'm not sure, I did not see it.

I've had coffee at the Mirror bar downstair and it was nice, and calmig. Comfortable sofa, I almost fall aleep.

The concierge was very helpful too, an older gentleman, he recommended me plenty of activities to do on Sunday when everything is closed in Geneva.

In concluion, I would definately recommend thi hotel if you're planning to tay in Geneva. I find it mostly suitable for business, maybe not too romantic, but it's of a very nice quality and the staff is very professional.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LazNYC
ManagerGeneva, Responsable commercial at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review though Trip advisor further to your stay here at the Swissotel Métropole Geneva.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team.

I was happy to read you appreciated our free upgrade, level of services and the hotel location.

I will be very glad to welcome you again for your next stay in Geneva.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

arrived after very long flight from Australia. hotel staff very helpful and friendly.
very modern and spacious room with all amenities with beautiful room over the lake.
breakfast also very good so a very pleasant and restful start to our holiday

Room Tip: rooms well noise insulated so front room overlooking lake is still quiet with nice view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray M

Dear Sir

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback further to your stay with us at the Swissôtel Métropole Geneva.

You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

I was happy to read that in general you had an enjoyable stay with us moreover in our new Signature rooms.

Thanking you again for your time and comments and looking forward to welcoming you back again

Director of Sales & marketing

Reviewed 17 September 2013

One night business stay. Check in a hassle and room very basic. Room was efficient and clean but small and dated. Apparently they have some updated rooms but this was not one of them which is naughty for a "lake view" room. As for the lake view, this consisted of a view of trees and more trees with a vague slither of water at a distant angle. Bathroom clean but v small and towels were cheap and thin. Mirror bar staff friendly and service good. Best described as dull and efficient but nothing special. More three star than four.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ritchie S

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Swissôtel Métropole Geneva with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Concerning the room you had, I would like to inform you that we refurbished most of them in 2013 and renovation program will go on in 2014.

I will be very happy for your next business trip in Geneva to offer you a complimentary upgrade in our new rooms.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcome you back to the Swissôtel Métropole Geneva.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Booked for 2 nights to stay with my wife. The lady who checked us in was curt and unfriendly. First, she was dealing with me, and when some person came to check out, she started checking him out leaving me to wait while she had started checking us in. Then I requested 2 cards for he room, she very curtly said "I can see you are 2 people". We booked their signature room and were shocked to see the bathroom had no doors as a part of it's design! Room was v v small for the price. I called the concierge and front desk on 2 small matters, one how long it will take to iron my clothes and got he reply "I don't know" again asked on something else same answer.

On positive side,minibar was free and they efficiently changed our room. Standard room had proper bathroom but for the price you pay the rooms are too small.

Moved out after one night and went to Four Seasons, which was amazing as always.

The main manager at swissotel Rudolph was efficient.

So all in all a very average stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback further to your stay with us here at the Swissôtel Métropole Geneva.

I first would like to apologise if you felt offended during the check-in time and disappointed with the service offered by the concierge desk. Some investigations will be made to avoid this in the future.

Our Signature room located face to the lake, is a unique offer in Geneva with a concept mixing in room spa approach, moderm swiss design and technologies such as mirror tv.

Large open bathroom, free mini bar, free dry cleaning for one shirt are also a part of the concept.

Regarding your comments on our rooms size, please kindly note there are equivalent to those proposed in the other 5-star hotels in Geneva.

Thanking you again foryour feedback and comments.

Your Sincerely