“Super, we felt really welcomed thanks to the staff”

Hotel Metropole Geneve
Ranked #10 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Long Easter weekend, great welcome with an Easter egg at check in. Rooms clean, food great and staff really make you feel at home.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
ManagerGeneva, Quality Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2014

Dear Larrissa

Thank you for sharing your Easter experience with the TripAdvisor community. I highly appreciated your positive feedback and I can assure you that your comments were shared with the team and the management.

I hope to see you soon again

Quality Mananger

There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropole Geneve

Reviewed 19 March 2009

This is my favorit hotel in Geneva. The best location in Geneva, right in the center of Geneva near Mont Blanc bridge and Rond Point de Rive on the street of luxuary shops Rue de Rhone. Walking distance to anything you need, a lot of restaurants of different level, shops and just accross the lakeside. 5 min Confederation street - central street with trams and shops. Bank district is 20 min to walk or 5 min by taxi.
The hotel itself is has nice atmosfere of a good quality property, has wonderful rooms and beds. Comparing to other hotels of same quality Rhone (not good location) and Four Seasons (excellent central location) it's approximately 50% less expensive and offer same level of service. Standard rooms are very small like everywhere in the center of Geneva but are comfortable and nice.
I like this hotel because of it's location and atmosfere and prefere to stay every time I come to Geneva. Highly recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
ManagerGeneva, Quality Mananger at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2014

Dear Svitlana

When I red your review and shared it with the colleagues and the management it made all of us at Swissotel Metropole very happy because we strive hard to satisfy all our guests and become their favorite hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and for recommending us so warmly.

We are looking forward to accommodating you soon again

Quality Manager

Reviewed 2 February 2009

I stayed here regularly over a six month period while working in Geneva, I couldn't find anything wrong with the hotel, and it was certainly best value. Ok, some of the rooms facing the back of the hotel are a little small (so stay at the front if you can) but each one had an extremely comfortable huge bed, fabulous bathrooms, and espresso machines. The staff were great, made me feel really welcome when I returned, and were very good humoured about a couple of late dinners/drinks with colleagues. Room service impeccable, and great food. Very convenient location too.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank DH76
SLGVA, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment with regards to your stays at Swissôtel Metropole Geneva.

We are striving for excellence in all areas of the hotel and are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stays with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have been able to please our guests and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Swissôtel Metropole during your future stays in Geneva.

Reviewed 24 October 2008

I was surprised when I arrived at the hotel and found it not as bad as some of the reviews. Although the street is busy you can access the hotel in the front or back. I thought it was just nit picking by others complaining about something like that.
The door and reception staff was friendly and everybody spoke English. I was booked in a city room but asked to be moved to the lakeside. I was given a room in the front but had to pay £25.00 extra on top of the normal rate for a city side room. I found the room 425 a good size but was hit by the smell of old smoke when I entered the room although I specified a non smoking room. It had lovely views over the lake and you could see the top of the Jet d' Eau. Someone was obviously smoking in the room at some point. I left the windows open and It was better when I returned later. It was again obvious when you close the window. I have to agree with the previous reviewer that the shower was very small and the bath not much bigger. The toiletries was of good quality.
I was very dissapointed to find 2 singlebeds pushed together to make a double when I went to bed. It was made up as singles and a honeymoon or a romantic weekend couple will not find that very convenient, so make sure you ask for a double or kingsizebed. It was late and just for one night so I was not going to complain. Although I like to have a big bed i found the bed comfortable and I slept well.
Someone else commented about the fact that there was no topsheet but just a duvet but I found that all the linen has being changed and although just a duvet it was clean and fresh.
I did not use the hotel for dinner but did have breakfast in the morning. There is a good selection of food and the quality was good. Overall I would say this is a nice hotel. The public areas has being refurbished over the past couple of years and I found it up to par with some of the other big hotel chains I have stayed in. I will however say that this is more a very good 4* hotel and not 5*

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SLGVA, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2008

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment regarding your recent stay at Swissotel Metropole Geneva.

The room 425 is indeed a smoking room, nevertheless your comments have been passed on to our General Housekeeper in order to reduce to a minimum the smell of smoke even in those rooms were smoking is allowed. 50% of our room inventory is non smoking.
425 is a twin bedded room, but our inventory includes, obviously, king size bedded rooms.
We really hope you will be coming back to the Swissôtel Métropole and we would be delighted to assign to you a nice nonsmoking room with king size bed!
Thank you as well for your other nice comments.

Reviewed 22 October 2008

Before arriving at the hotel, I had read many poor reviews here and also heard from a friend about her poor experience. I'm afraid I'm not going to give the hotel a glowing review either.

The size of the room is OK - pretty standard for an old European hotel. I liked the bathroom although the shower stall was a little claustrophobic. The toiletteries were good.

The location is great. I have a view of the Jardin Anglais out front, and I can see the Jet d'Eau. Walking to my business meetings or to restaurants is convenient.

Problems: cleaning maids. A few times during my stay, the cleaning maids opened the door and walked in without even knocking and checking to see if anyone is in the room. This made for some embarrassing situations. I wonder why they don't train their staff.

One night I also found a small spider on my pillow. I realize that there is a park across the street, but even in tropical Asia I have rarely encountered insects or other pests (other than mosquitos which fly) in my room. Not very happy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Peech

We were disappointed to read that your impression of some of our services in the hotel was not good. Your comments have been passed on to our General Housekeeper in order to improve the training and make sure that maids will not enter guests rooms without announcing themselves before.
Due to our location on the lake shore, just like all the other hotels and buildings around the bay, with the change of season and the outside temperature dropping down, it is possible that a little spider has inadvertently eluded our vigilance and entered the room. This kind of situation is very rare but may happen once in a while. We are very sorry about it.

Please accept our apologies if we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 2 September 2008

We came to Geneva for a long weekend. This hotel was central and looked very nice on the website.

Our room was lovely and had excellent views over the lake.

The only problem was that hotel, like so many other quality chain hotels lack any real warmth or character. You certainly will not have a bad time here, but it wont stir your soul.

The staff were polite and efficient without actually being friendly. The food in the restaurant was good, but could only be considered average for the price.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Your remark is very important for the development of the our service and our product. In fact the hotel is in process of renovating all the rooms towards the lake side, these are very modern in design with state of art technology. Please visit our webpage for details and pictures. I also would like to thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community.

The comment about the hotel is positive and encouraging and I can assure you that we work hard every day to satisfy all guests needs and wants

I am looking forward to accommodating you soon back again

Quality Mananger

Reviewed 23 June 2008

What a disappointment this grand hotel turned out to be....small, old fashioned, musty rooms with outdated fussy soft furnishings. Our lake side room was uncomfortable and only adequately clean. The wall paper, furniture etc looked scuffed and battered and could not have been recently modernised as advised by the front desk. The only positive thing to mention about our disappointing room was the neat coffee maker which would have been lovely ....only no milk,coffee,sugar etc had been left by housekeeping!! A small housekeeping mistake yes, but it added to an already nightmarish ‘Faulty Towers’ experience.
The Mirror bar had no atmosphere at all and was very smoky (we were advised the smoking ban is introduced in Switzerland July 08)
Have to say the staff were pleasant enough but totally unsympathetic to our requests.
Overall therefore a hugely disappointing experience not to be repeated or indeed recommended –especially at the exorbitant prices they charge.
This is 2 star quality for 5 star tariffs.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank herself1
SLGVA, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2008

We were disappointed to read that your impression of the hotel overall and your room was not a good one. We completed renovating all our rooms in 2004 after a 5 year renovation plan of the hotel and are now at the beginning of a new soft renovation plan.
Since July 1st it is indeed forbidden to smoke in pubblic areas in Geneva and therefore our hotel is smoking free in all public areas.
Expresso coffee makers with coffee and teas are complimentary. Fresh milk can be requested from the Room service, nevertheless 4 cream pots are available in the minibar.
Please accept our apologies if we did not meet your expectations.