“thoroughly enjoyable stay”

Hotel Metropole Geneve
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Sttayed for one night at the hotel with my son Maxi. Beatiful bedroom with all ammenities. Very niche shower and very confy small living room area. Staff at front desk very friendly and helpful. Especially German young lady.
Breakfast very nice, modern setting in restaurant and beatiful terrace. Location ideal to main pedestrian street and clase to the lake.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
ManagerGeneva, Quality Mananger at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for appreciating our service and our product and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Although is a long time since you visited us, I can assure you that breakfast has improved further and the rooms on the lake side have all been renovated.

I look forward to see you soon again

Reviewed 25 June 2009

We had a very enjoyable stay, staff are very good and the General Manager Mr. Thierry personally welcomed us and made a huge difference to our stay in Geneva (he recommend this amazing place in Park des Eaux Vives). Overall the location was the best compared to all the other hotels (Mandarin, Four Seasons and Eaux Vives) and the restaurant serves very good food (sorry I do not remember the name. Overall a very good spot to explore Geneva with the quality you would expect from "Swissotel" in Switzerland!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
ManagerGeneva, Quality Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2014

Dear Edgarn

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I have also shared your review with the colleagues and the management. Please come and visit us again.

I look forward to see you soon back

Reviewed 24 May 2009

Long Easter weekend, great welcome with an Easter egg at check in. Rooms clean, food great and staff really make you feel at home.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
ManagerGeneva, Quality Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2014

Dear Larrissa

Thank you for sharing your Easter experience with the TripAdvisor community. I highly appreciated your positive feedback and I can assure you that your comments were shared with the team and the management.

I hope to see you soon again

Quality Mananger

Reviewed 19 March 2009

This is my favorit hotel in Geneva. The best location in Geneva, right in the center of Geneva near Mont Blanc bridge and Rond Point de Rive on the street of luxuary shops Rue de Rhone. Walking distance to anything you need, a lot of restaurants of different level, shops and just accross the lakeside. 5 min Confederation street - central street with trams and shops. Bank district is 20 min to walk or 5 min by taxi.
The hotel itself is has nice atmosfere of a good quality property, has wonderful rooms and beds. Comparing to other hotels of same quality Rhone (not good location) and Four Seasons (excellent central location) it's approximately 50% less expensive and offer same level of service. Standard rooms are very small like everywhere in the center of Geneva but are comfortable and nice.
I like this hotel because of it's location and atmosfere and prefere to stay every time I come to Geneva. Highly recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
ManagerGeneva, Quality Mananger at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2014

Dear Svitlana

When I red your review and shared it with the colleagues and the management it made all of us at Swissotel Metropole very happy because we strive hard to satisfy all our guests and become their favorite hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and for recommending us so warmly.

We are looking forward to accommodating you soon again

Reviewed 2 February 2009

I stayed here regularly over a six month period while working in Geneva, I couldn't find anything wrong with the hotel, and it was certainly best value. Ok, some of the rooms facing the back of the hotel are a little small (so stay at the front if you can) but each one had an extremely comfortable huge bed, fabulous bathrooms, and espresso machines. The staff were great, made me feel really welcome when I returned, and were very good humoured about a couple of late dinners/drinks with colleagues. Room service impeccable, and great food. Very convenient location too.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank DH76
SLGVA, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment with regards to your stays at Swissôtel Metropole Geneva.

We are striving for excellence in all areas of the hotel and are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stays with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have been able to please our guests and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Swissôtel Metropole during your future stays in Geneva.

Reviewed 24 October 2008

I was surprised when I arrived at the hotel and found it not as bad as some of the reviews. Although the street is busy you can access the hotel in the front or back. I thought it was just nit picking by others complaining about something like that.
The door and reception staff was friendly and everybody spoke English. I was booked in a city room but asked to be moved to the lakeside. I was given a room in the front but had to pay £25.00 extra on top of the normal rate for a city side room. I found the room 425 a good size but was hit by the smell of old smoke when I entered the room although I specified a non smoking room. It had lovely views over the lake and you could see the top of the Jet d' Eau. Someone was obviously smoking in the room at some point. I left the windows open and It was better when I returned later. It was again obvious when you close the window. I have to agree with the previous reviewer that the shower was very small and the bath not much bigger. The toiletries was of good quality.
I was very dissapointed to find 2 singlebeds pushed together to make a double when I went to bed. It was made up as singles and a honeymoon or a romantic weekend couple will not find that very convenient, so make sure you ask for a double or kingsizebed. It was late and just for one night so I was not going to complain. Although I like to have a big bed i found the bed comfortable and I slept well.
Someone else commented about the fact that there was no topsheet but just a duvet but I found that all the linen has being changed and although just a duvet it was clean and fresh.
I did not use the hotel for dinner but did have breakfast in the morning. There is a good selection of food and the quality was good. Overall I would say this is a nice hotel. The public areas has being refurbished over the past couple of years and I found it up to par with some of the other big hotel chains I have stayed in. I will however say that this is more a very good 4* hotel and not 5*

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SLGVA, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Metropole Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2008

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment regarding your recent stay at Swissotel Metropole Geneva.

The room 425 is indeed a smoking room, nevertheless your comments have been passed on to our General Housekeeper in order to reduce to a minimum the smell of smoke even in those rooms were smoking is allowed. 50% of our room inventory is non smoking.
425 is a twin bedded room, but our inventory includes, obviously, king size bedded rooms.
We really hope you will be coming back to the Swissôtel Métropole and we would be delighted to assign to you a nice nonsmoking room with king size bed!
Thank you as well for your other nice comments.

Reviewed 22 October 2008

Before arriving at the hotel, I had read many poor reviews here and also heard from a friend about her poor experience. I'm afraid I'm not going to give the hotel a glowing review either.

The size of the room is OK - pretty standard for an old European hotel. I liked the bathroom although the shower stall was a little claustrophobic. The toiletteries were good.

The location is great. I have a view of the Jardin Anglais out front, and I can see the Jet d'Eau. Walking to my business meetings or to restaurants is convenient.

Problems: cleaning maids. A few times during my stay, the cleaning maids opened the door and walked in without even knocking and checking to see if anyone is in the room. This made for some embarrassing situations. I wonder why they don't train their staff.

One night I also found a small spider on my pillow. I realize that there is a park across the street, but even in tropical Asia I have rarely encountered insects or other pests (other than mosquitos which fly) in my room. Not very happy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Peech

We were disappointed to read that your impression of some of our services in the hotel was not good. Your comments have been passed on to our General Housekeeper in order to improve the training and make sure that maids will not enter guests rooms without announcing themselves before.
Due to our location on the lake shore, just like all the other hotels and buildings around the bay, with the change of season and the outside temperature dropping down, it is possible that a little spider has inadvertently eluded our vigilance and entered the room. This kind of situation is very rare but may happen once in a while. We are very sorry about it.

Please accept our apologies if we did not meet your expectations.