For the category that this hotel seems to pride itself on, we had rather high expectations that the Swissotel Geneva Metropole (yes, we would otherwise normally associate the Swissotel brand as a moderately-priced chain hotel but thought perhaps this would be something of their flagship property) would match those of the countless other 5-star deluxe category hotels that we frequent throughout Europe. Although adequately comfortable, it wasn’t anywhere near comparable to other deluxe accommodations (within the similar price range) in Europe, not to mention some of Asia’s awesome hotels. This is in terms of first impression, service, quality of the guest rooms, public areas, and location. Only the location is great, but everything else is mediocre and even poor in some aspects (service). If taking into consideration the price, one cannot say it is good value for the money.
Starting with check-in, we were behind another couple trying to check-in (it was very late at night) and we witnessed noticeable hassle and frustration as their room was apparently released due to their late check-in despite the credit card guarantee they had (which was required anyway). We waited a while keeping our fingers crossed as were waiting to check-in right after them. That couple was taken aside and we do not know what their outcome was. Our turn came with a different sort of glitch. The rate they showed us was a much higher rate than our confirmed rate, for which we had a print-out of, very fortunately. The check-in staff did not accept that confirmation at face value but said that I will need to speak with the reservations manager the following day and said that if they can verify the correctness of it, then all will be okay (as if I had tampered or forged the confirmation!). I had to try and catch the responsible person the next day (rather than them coming to us) and it was not immediately resolved. But to cut a long story short, they only confirmed our booked rate after so much hassle.
We had a deluxe lake view room, which was okay and small. The bathroom was proportionately small and nothing to be called luxurious. The only saving grace (almost?) was the view, which was nice but then again, it wasn’t impressive (the hotel is not situated right on the lake but very close to it, being separated by a road and a public park). Therefore the views from the mid-level floors where we were located could not be a spectacular panoramic view of Lake Geneva as one might have expected. We do not have any pictures to post because we didn’t take any -- we were not inclined to as there was nothing really impressive about the rooms, the views or the lobby.
Overall service was unremarkable. Our very first impression was at the check-in desk and that did little to delight us. Concierge service was not up to the standards of an exclusive hotel. Our requests (simple ones, like booking a private chauffeur-driven car or a day-tour) were delivered with the feeling as if it were their forced duty (versus concierges at places like the Ritz London, the Peninsula Hong Kong, etc who all cheerfully accommodate as if it were their passion). The feeling is different. You feel as if you are in a middle-segment chain hotel (which is what it is technically), rather than an exclusive deluxe property.
In summary, we could recommend this hotel if trying to find an adequate place to sleep in a very convenient location for a very dear price. You should not expect much else and you will not be too disappointed. For us, we found nothing special that would draw us back to this hotel on our next visit to Geneva. We will happily try other places such as the Four Seasons or the Beau Rivage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of Geneva with a beautiful view of the lake, Hotel Metropole Geneve is conveniently located on the left bank, within the city's famous shopping district and just a short walk from the Jet d'eau, the old town and the central business district. The hotel boasts the renowned top-quality service that is a hallmark of Swiss and Geneva hospitality, making it a home away from home for both business and leisure travelers to Geneva. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Metropole Geneve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Metropole Geneva Hotel Geneva
- Swissotel Metropole Hotel Geneva
- Geneva Swissotel Metropole Hotel