“Lovely OLD hotel”

Hotel Beau-Rivage Geneva
Ranked #16 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We visited Geneva for two nights in July which was quite warm and rainy. We were greeted by the hotel staff in the elegant but small hotel lobby. Our room faced Lake Geneva and we had a lovely view of all the activity on the waterfront. The room was nicely decorated with a grand bathroom including double sinks, shower, separate toilet and large soaking tub. The air conditioning worked extremely well and this is not the case in many hotels in Geneva. We were surprised by the heat and humidity, so this should be a consideration for summer visitors. The breakfast buffet was so inadequate that we skipped it altogether the second day. The limited selection of food was offensive at this price point and I am certain the pineapple came out of a can! On our next trip to Geneva we will stay on the other side of the Lake which is closer to shopping, dining and museums.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna H
BeauRivageGeneva, Directeur général at Hotel Beau-Rivage Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

I personally wish to thank you for your nice feedback on your Beau-Rivage's experience, It is always lovely to read our guest felt in our property. I have well noticed your remark regarding the breakfast and will keep it on mind for the next breakfast's menu for the new season.
All my best
Ivan Rivier

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We arrived for a family member's wedding celebration at this lovely old hotel.. The location is just about perfect: right on Lake Geneva with a view of the jet d'eau from certain rooms. It was midsummer and the weather was warm, but the entire hotel is comfortably and reliably air-conditioned. You enter up the stairs into a serene reception area, the focal point of which is a quiet fountain surrounded by boxwood topiaries, comfortable chairs and tables. The reception area is staffed with helpful, efficient and agreeable personnel, and the bar is across the way. The atmosphere is one of ease and relaxation. Our room was a spacious king. Separate W.C. from the main bathroom, which was also roomy and easy to move about in. Shower gel, shampoo, etc. by Clarins. The closet was a bit small, but there was ample cupboard and drawer space. We were initially attended to by a bellman who showed us how to work everything in the room. Safe and honor bar included. Large tipping is not expected in Switzerland, but the service here was so good, we were inclined to buck the system and provide monetary rewards for the helpful and informed staff.

The hotel is in the classic European mode: Ornate yet comfortable furnishings that seem more French Provincial rather than modern; comfortable seating areas throughout the hallways accented by large decorated chests, porcelains and antique books. The fitness center is a bit of a puzzle: it's located on the top floor of the hotel and seems simply to be a guest room converted into a fitness center by cramming it with exercise equipment. Two people exercising might easily bump into each other. A full guest bathroom is part of the set-up so at least you get a nice shower upon completing your workout.

English is spoken by most of the staff, so English speakers will find it easy to get along. We understand that the hotel has been owned by the same family since the 1800s, so there may be some modern accoutrements that have not been included in the latest refurbishing. Nevertheless, if you are looking for grace and comfort during your stay in Geneva, you will find it at the Beau-Rivage.

Only two disappointments: the food provided at the hotel is outrageously expensive: a club sandwich goes for $49 Swiss francs (at an exchange rate of about $1.30 per franc, that's one expensive club sandwich! Secondly, we wanted help in booking a car from Heathrow airport when we returned to London for a journey up to Cambridge; The only car service the concierge at the Beau-Rivage was able to recommend was a limousine available for 90 pounds an hour (estimated cost 400 pounds total cost); we finally found a car service on our own for a flat fee of 150 pounds.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate F
BeauRivageGeneva, General Manager at Hotel Beau-Rivage Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Madam,
I personally wish to thank you for your nice feedback on your Beau-Rivage’s experience. It is always lovely to read our guest felt in our property. It drives us towards excellency which is our day-to-day. We have well noticed your remark regarding the price of the club sandwich and we will advise the F&B Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back to making your stay a memorable experience again.
Best regards,
Ivan Rivier

Reviewed 26 June 2013

In Geneva for a business trip and the usual company hotel was full, so we booked in at Beau-Rivage.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly and professional reception team, who continued to provide great service throughout my stay.
If you want a modern hotel this is not the place for you (take a look at their website which is a true reflection of the rooms) however it is luxurious, clean and well presented. The location is perfect to explore Geneva and is situated right on the lake.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yorkshiretraveller2
Reviewed 11 June 2013

...but all the better for it.

Where most hotels in this category are Peter Perfect, the Beau Rivage isn't...but doesn't suffer for it. A great front of house team and a lovely 'faded glory' colonial feel make any Brit feel at home.

If you stay on the 6th floor, the arrival of the hot water must be measured in glacial units and the water pressure will be less than an asthmatic rabbit with a length of hose and a cup of water, but just go with it. If you want chi chi, there's certainly plenty of choice in Geneva, but this place is in a great location and isn't as stratospherically expensive as many other places. And that's saying something.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CaptainSqueaking
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have just stayed there for 3 days and I was just amazed by the precision and the quality of service. The concierge department is extremely professional and you can almost ask them everything and anything.
the breakfast was delicious and I really enjoyed the variety of delicious jams. I had breakfast delivered by room on one occasion and everything was just perfect as well.
I know that it could be very difficult to find a good hotel with the perfect staff...Well... the Beau-Rivage team is far above all expectations you may have.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over the Leman, that is just beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jaynice1
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Modern, sleek hotels are more my cup of tea, so I was fully prepared to dislike the Beau-Rivage. Boy, was I wrong. From the fantastic staff to the fresh flowers in the room to the delicious breakfast to the immaculate housekeeping to the unparalleled view, there was not a flaw. I was only sorry I had to leave. Well done, Beau-Rivage. You've won a convert.

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed there on business for one night. I have to admit that I prefer modern hotels, so this place is not for me. Service was good, but the room screamed for a makeover. The bathroom smelled a bit weird as well. Overall not my cup of tea - maybe I just got unlucky with the room but I can't say I liked the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business