“Excellent location at a very low price”
Review of Bel'Esperance

Bel'Esperance
Ranked #37 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This small hotel is beautifully located, although a bit difficult to find when you first arrive. Get good directions before you get to Geneva.

We arrived at the airport and took a local bus to within a couple of blocks of the hotel entrance. The hotel is also a short walk from the lake and an even shorter walk to catch the bus to the train station.

Just a short walk up the hill and you are in the old town section of Geneva. Several good restaurants with great ambiance there.

The rooms are smallish but adequate. Breakfast is rather simple but with a decent selection of cereals, fruit, etc. Nothing fancy, but more than adequate for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AhabofLA
There are newer reviews for Bel'Esperance

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a two-star hotel located steps away from the Cathédrale St. Pierre. While the hotel itself was quiet, the location can be a little noisy, although this problem can be effectively solved by closing windows (although n.b. no air conditioning is provided, so this can be problematic on a hot summer night).

The breakfast is excellent. Room was simple but comfortable. Bathroom is acceptably modern and plumbing was good.

I was very impressed by the helpfulness and professionalism of the staff.

Were I to visit Geneva again, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gregg W
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The rooms here are a little small and dated, but that is Ok with the price you pay. The room was very clean, which is the norm for Switzerland.
There are lovely views from the roof terrace.
This property does not have a restaurant but there are some close by (some quite pricey)
We found it a little noisy at night, but that was really the only negative.
May stay again if we visit here again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I went in this hotel in december 2012.
It was the first time in Geneva for me. The hotel was near to the city centre. The only difficult, for a foreing traveller, is to find the street.
Very good the breakfast.
The room could be a little bit better, but I think that the price - for the standard of Geneva - has been right.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Each time I come to Geneva (2/3 times per year) I stay at Bel Esperance. Why?

One: it is so well located, Two: the place is so well cared for. Indeed this visit I have noted the rooms have been refurbished and have new televisions. Three: the price for room and breakfast is amazing.

In addition, the staff are friendly and courteous and the breakfast variety is excellent.

I wholeheartedly recommend Bel Esperance.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CalmEarth
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This unpretentious, hotel in the Old Quarter in Geneva is our favourite. It is very reasonably priced. It is immaculate. Breakfast is good and varied.
The hotel has areas to read as well as a salon with a piano.
It has internet access.
The rooms are very clean, roomy with comfortable beds and immaculate bathroom.
Most rooms have a balcony.
In Geneva hotels you are issued with a free transport pass - allowing you unlimited access on buses, trams and the mouettes (ferries).
Additionally, this hotel has a wonderful rooftop terrace giving you panoramic views over Geneva, the jet, the cathedral and the mountains in the distance.
We also like this hotel as it has a resident's kitchen and dining area where you can keep costs
down by catering for yourselves.
We love Geneva - we go every year and can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If the cathedral bells ringing is going to disturb you at night, ask for a room on the other side of...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I didn't travel in 2014 but in 2011, but forgot to write when I stayed here and feel I should add a note to my previous review from 2010. (The date is 2014 because one can't add information that is this old.) I stayed here again with my daughter in August 2011 when attending a conference. We had a nice stay in Geneva, and the hotel was as expected: plain but unproblematic; breakfast unadorned but adequate. The problem came right before we were to leave. We had packed up, checked out, and left our luggage in storage; we then returned to the hotel for about an hour and decided simply to sit outside on the little rooftop terrace (one of the perks of this hotel) and rest for a bit before heading to the airport. My daughter was carrying a heavy shoulder bag and asked the clerk if she could leave it while upstairs. The woman at the front desk said to just set it there in the lobby. Something prevented me from doing that, and I asked her to put my computer case behind the desk, but our suitcases and my daughter's shoulder bag were simply sitting in the lobby, directly in front of (about six feet from) the hotel receptionist. When we returned about 30 minutes later, the receptionist was nowhere to be seen and my daughter's (very nice) shoulder bag was gone -- along with her ipod, her money, her camera, her coat, and the souvenirs she'd collected that week. I found the receptionist, who expressed no regret about leaving her post when she'd told us to put our stuff in front of her desk. She clearly did not feel in any way responsible for a theft of items left on her own advice directly in front of her desk. As we had a plane to catch, we left; fortunately, I was carrying my daughter's passport. I do not feel able to return to the Bel Esperance, however, despite having stayed their many, many times in the past. I found it amazing that the hotel had so little interest in the security of its guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business