“NO CHOCOLATES ON PILLOW HERE”
Review of Hotel Central

Hotel Central
Ranked #47 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This would have to be one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in. The home webpage photos do not show room 39 which is not suitable for a mature age couple. The double bed with lumpy springs was pushed up against the wall and we needed to climb over each other to get into it. there was room only for a single wardrobe and very small table for your breakfast. The entry into the room from the passage door was via the WC and shower. The shower was mouldy and there were cracked and chipped tiles under the bathroom. When booking we asked for a quiet room. This one is situated opposite a demolition site. Thankfully we arrived on the weekend and for only a couple of days. Erik, I know your response will be that you get what you pay for but I feel some warning should be given to your clients before providing rooms like this.
On the plus side ... Alice - your receptionist was very helpful

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank simmoqqqq2
Erik G, Owner at Hotel Central, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear simmoqqqq2,

Even though we were very disappointed to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to make us aware of our weaknesses. It is a shame that these comments were not brought to our attention during your stay, so that we could have changed your room for the second night.
Room 39 is one of our smaller rooms (hence called "Compact Room") and is very popular with our guests. Yes, I agree, it is not very comfortable to have to crawl over another person to get to bed, but we wanted to offer a good-value-for-money option for a couple not wanting to spend the normal high rates Geneva hotels demand. Unfortunately, in the centre of town where space is limited and expensive, this comes with certain compromises.
However, I agree, the mould reported in the bathroom is unacceptable - this has been immediately resolved. As for the chipped tiles, we have a renovation program in progress and Room 39 is yet to be done.
Concerning the building site - this was not mentioned upon reservation, as work is not done on evenings, nights or weekends, and therefore should not disturb our guests' sleep. The esthetic aspect of a building site is unfortunately out of our control but will provide a nicer view in the future.
We have forwarded your positive comments regarding Alice, and we thank you once again for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We hope to be able to welcome you back in better conditions, and do not hesitate to contact me directly for a future reservation.

Best regards,
Owner

There are newer reviews for Hotel Central

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I previously wrote a review of the lovely Hotel Central, in the Old Town area of Geneva, Switzerland, in 2012 entitled 'A Calm and Peaceful Place to Stay'. Well, given that you're not allowed to edit a review once you've sent it in, I thought I would write an update. I've just returned from my third trip to both Geneva and Hotel Central and I'm happy to say that NOTHING has changed since I first wen there in May 2011. The service is still excellent, the rooms clean and always left impeccabily by the maids, and the staff were still incredibly helpful and polite. So, if anyone is looking for a hotel in Geneva, this is still the place to be.

Thank you again, Hotel Central.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Simon J
Erik G, Owner at Hotel Central, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Simon J

Thank you for your nice comments.
We were happy to hear that you had another good stay with us and your remarks have been passed on to the staff.
Hopefully we can welcome you back for another visit and wish you and your family a lovely summer.

With best regards
Hotel Central

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Nice place and very well located. It's value for money. One thing is perhaps to add satellite would be really nice.
I stayed there for 6 weeks and had a good time. The guys a the reception are really nice.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank RitBss
Erik G, Owner at Hotel Central, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear RitBss

Thank you for your thoughts on Hôtel Central.
I have passed on the comments about our staff and they very much thank you as it is not often people take the time to thank them.
We have over 30 channels and satelaite for all the rooms is very expensive for the little demand.
Thank you again and hope to be able to welcome you back some day.

With best regards

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Its very basic. The room I had was small but bright with a nice big window. It did have some sort of a view. The hotel certainly needs to have a bigger sign, as its not easy to find it. Being int he centre of Geneva its close to many of the attractions. Breakfast is served in the room, which could be annoying if you are planning to sleep in a late. Getting to the hotel is not difficult, there are tram stops quite closeby.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank anoop350

Dear anoop350

Happy to read that you found value for money which is one of our main objectives.
From the beginning the questionnaires remarked the request to only have breakfast served i9n the rooms and appartments, but I can understand that on w/ends and on holiday it is nice to be able to sleep in....we are sorry if we got you out of bed.
Thank you for your time and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.

With best wishes for a warm summer

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at their quadruple room and I was extremely pleased with the stay. The hotel is located in a safe, central area in the Old Town, with easy access to all the shopping areas, as well as buses and trams at the Place Bel Air just 5 minutes walk away. The room itself was clean and comfortable. No carpets which was perfect for me. The wifi was very strong and the counter staff allowed us to leave our luggage at the hotel after checkout.

Only slightly unusual thing was the toilet arrangement. There were 2 toilets in the quadruple room and 1 was so tiny you could not sit without opening the door. But it was clean and comfortable, and I've experienced far worse. The room was spacious, with TV, DVD player and table for breakfast. Geneva is expensive and this hotel was a bargain for the price (about 500 CHF for 4 people in total for the 2 night stay). If I were to ever return to Geneva, I would stay here again.

We had to pay at check-in, which is odd for a hotel, so just get your money ready at check-in.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FireRoad

Hello there

Thank you for your contribution to our guest comments which we take very seriously.
Many rooms are adapted to the supporting walls and were initially appartments so I do apologise for some of the very tight bathrooms...but better to have 2 tight bathrooms than one large is what the majority of our guests say. to us.

We wish a wonderfull summer break
With regards

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Very good, needs some explanation: In the very center of geneva, very small room, breakfast (included) served to the very clean room, free bus ticket, - that what you need if you come to see geneva in 2-3 days. The arrangement of the toilet is not usual, but the value of money, very cheap next to other hotels is very good. mostly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zami_ra70

Dear zami_ra70

Thank you for your remarks which were very helpfull for future guests.
Yes our compact rooms, all 9 of them have a small hallway leading onto the bathroom...compact in all ways which is why we named the room that way!...
The value for money is appreciated by most and there accept the compactness!!
Thank you again and we wish you a wonderfull summer.

With many regards

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I went to the Hotel Central for a recent weekend away with a group of friends, and it was a better experience than I could have hoped for ( I must admit I was slightly nervous after reading some of the more negative reviews, but the good reviews definately were on point).

We were a group of 8 and were splt between a quad, triple and single room; and I know many of us, including those that have been to Geneva before, are considering booking here again. My room, the single, was spacious had great ameneties, and lovely little balcony with great views over Geneva; the triple was on my floor, and also boasted a balcony, great views and size.

Breakfast is delivered every morning, and with the little tables in the rooms, is quite enjoyable. The hoetl is very well located to walk around the city with ease, and the hotel offers free transport cards, which includes the little boat ferry around Geneva.

The staff was friendly, amenable and full of tips, and you cannot do with a better location in visiting Geneva

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank London T

Dear London T

Glad to hear that you and your friends had a good time in our little family hotel....the balconies are a great asset but yes not always easy to please all.
Guest comments are important to us and very helpfull mostly, but sometimes people can be a little destructive rather than constructive....but better being talked about than not at all...

Have a lovely summer