Hotel Diplomate
US$163
US$127
Agoda.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We usually browse Trip Advisor's ratings before choosing any hotel. But this time we were forced to book such a low rated hotel since our collegue was staying there and, as it was a business trip, staying at the same place was convenient to us.
First of all, our experience was not 100% negative and to be honest we didn't experience what other travellers did - for instance, staff was so much polite to us, they also gave us a free late check out. I cannot complain about the room not being cleaned. The location is then very nice when you want to visit the historic part of the city and the free wifi (well working) is a plus.
The price is yes high but guys, this is Geneva!
BUT I really cannot understand the 4 star rating....Rooms are tiny!!! Our room with one double bed was so small that the door of the bathroom could not be fully opened, there was no space for luggage and thank God we were just staying for one night and we had only two small trolleys.
The furniture does need massive updating, especially in the bathroom! It is yes "vintage" but for more than 200 euro per night, when you book at a 4-star Best Western you do expect more.
Not to mention the elevator, which was not enough for two pretty slim adults plus two cabin baggage trolleys. We almost needed to split the race!
Due to business reason we had breakfast at the hotel and for more than 20 euro each it was really poor!! The waitress then was nice but she didn't speak English!!
So I am sorry to add one more bad review to this hotel, but this is what it deserves....

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Francesca-DM
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just few words from my side, I checked in in Diplomate Hotel for 4 days and from the beginning I didnt like it, first I arrived at 12 pm and they made me wait till 2pm because the room was not ready although the hotel was pretty much empty...then I had to leave 100 CHF guaratee for which the indian lady from the reception didnt mind to give me a "invoice" or some other paper to claim it back later (i paid cash so I wont need to wait a month for a refund). Then the room was pretty outdated, the furniture was old, internet only paid and the TV was absolutelly a piece of Grunding "crap" from early 80s. You could see only 4 channels without being asked to pay for them but the signal quality was so low ( i guess they were using antenna signal)...This being said, I would go back there...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank sadicu
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Rough receptionist, very unfriendly. Took my money through the reservsation and upon arrival was told that no reservation has been made despite me showing the hotel voucher. Then was left with no option but sleep in my car. Then to add insult to injury was sent a survey to rate the hotel! Never again in a Best Western!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
6  Thank Daniel Mr B
Reviewed 28 November 2013

When you walk into the lobby it feels like a time warp into the fifties. The rooms are clean but with an outdated feel to it. You are very close to the lake and a lot of good restaurants. The breakfast is complete and well done. I would have liked a gym but I guess this is not standard practice in Switzerland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stefkes
Reviewed 17 October 2013

15 minutes to checkin with no acknowledgement or apology for the delay. Minimal staff.
Compact rooms, but clean. Basic toiletries. Make sure you bring everything as the rest you have to pay for
The radiator turns off but the big heating pipes do not and so the room was very hot. The A/C would not cool it down and so the windows had to stay open all night. As such, you sleep when the traffic dies down, and not for long.
Breakfast is functional. You are better eating at cafés further down the street.
All hotels in Geneva offer free travel cards but I experienced and noticed the same with others that you had to specifically request one.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the front as you need the window open and they are straight onto a busy street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business