“Very convenient airport hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport
Ranked #39 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 19 February 2014

For the money, this was a great place to stay. This was my second stay at the Holiday Inn Express in the last 3 years while waiting for a Sunday morning flight after skiing in France for a week. Email communication with the hotel prior to arrival was responded to courteously and promptly. The airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes from outside the arrival area of the airport. The staff could not have been more helpful. In both cases my transfer returning from France had me arriving at the airport at mid-day on Saturday and the staff kindly allowed me to check-in early.They provided me with a free Geneva tourist transportation card that allowed for free passage on Geneva’s public transportation. The tram into Geneva is located only a block from the hotel and the front desk provide at transit map and written instructions on how to use the transport system. The hotel is clean and relatively modern with no frills. Free WIFI is provided throughout the hotel. The room had all the amenities I needed. Despite train tracks being located directly behind the hotel, the building is constructed such that it was very quiet inside. The included continental breakfast was good. I had no complaints regarding my stay 3 years ago and my only complaint this year is that there was a slight hint of urine smell in the area of the bathroom toilet in my room. For the cost, service and convenience, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here at beginning of a ski trip while waiting to go to the Alps. Clean in the room, not so clean in the public areas. Decent complimentary breakfast. Obviously not luxury but okay for what you get.

Room Tip: Location is excellent for airport to get on a plane or take the bus to the alps and nothing else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tamika B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Tamika B,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was with us. I appreciate the favorable comments about the breakfast items and clean room. It is unfortunate, however, that you felt the cleanliness of the surrounding area was less than satisfactory. Management has been made aware of your this issue and it will be addressed immediately.

Please be assured that your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope you give us another chance next time you are in town.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I didn't come in with high expectations, so I was disappointed! I stayed here with my mom who tagged along while I was traveling for business and we could hardy find space for our luggage in the standard double--typical Geneva.

Honestly, this is a 'one-nighter' hotel so you can catch an early flight out and won't spend much time in the hotel. Happens that we came in from Zurich by train in the later evening and flew out the next morning--if I were in that situation again I'd have no problem paying another visit. Wouldn't stay beyond that though because your money is better spent staying downtown where you can get a bit more comfortable. You might note the Mövenpick Hotel and Casino (with all its gustatory delights) is right next door.

The complimentary internet (for IHG Priority Club members), airport shuttle (serves both airport and train station) and the complimentary breakfast were all much appreciated during our quick turnaround. All things considered, this venue was good value for the low price I paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear UA787,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. Your feedback is important in our continuous drive for excellence. I am happy to read that our shuttle service, complimentary internet and breakfast exceeded your expectations. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and rely on your feedback, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a hotel that has been adapted to the Holiday Inn Express Brand. We chose to stay here for the convenience. Do not stay here for that reason... the trains are so good and Geneva is so close, it is absolutely unnecessary to stay here solely for the purpose of catching a flight. My tip is to stay here only if you get a great price.

We found:
- the rooms were very small - even by HI Express standards;
- the rooms were clean;
- the bathroom was small;
- the surrounding suburbs were pretty grim although to be expected for an airport hotel;
- the towels were good - as were the pillows.

The hotel has a shuttle service which was free and fast but infrequent. We waited for 40 minutes which is surprising given that the hotel is just a couple of minutes away.

Check in was ok, but our room was not ready when it probably should have been. The staff had some suggestions for what we could do to fill in the time. The readiness of their suggestions made me think they were used to having people waiting to get their rooms. I had some suggestions of my own for them but kindly refrained from voicing them.

The hotel is a 4 minute walk from a large supermarket where you can buy anything you need. Use this option to save money. The shopping centre also has a restaurant which looked ok although we didn't partake of it.

Staff were sort of friendly but I couldn't say they went out of there way to welcome us.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear lex_loci_david,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We would like to apologize for the issues you had during check-in and the room accommodations you received was less than satisfactory. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the schedule of our Shuttle services. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here on a business trip to Geneva recently after finding my usual hotel full. The main reason for choosing the Holiday Inn Express was the convenient location - shuttle bus to/from the airport and a walk of 200m to the tram line headed to CERN. In that respect it was faultless - from the hotel to CERN reception the journey was only 20 minutes. And of course like other Geneva hotels a free tram ticket is provided at check in. As an aside: if you choose to stay somewhere else forget to pick up a ticket in the airport arrivals hall for a free journey on public transport to the hotel if they don't offer a shuttle).

On arrival at Geneva airport there was a short wait for the shuttle bus. The bus was clean and the driver friendly enough. The check in staff were extremely helpful and before heading up to my room had assisted with ordering some food from a local Italian restaurant, provided an ironing board for my shirts and given me sufficient wifi codes for my three devices.

The rooms, like other HIE, are basic with limited amenities. However the room was well sound proofed unlike the NH hotel nearby. The bed was comfortable enough if not quite the same luxurious feeling as the Hilton I had stayed in the previous night. And the desk was perfectly adequate for getting through a pile of work with space for my laptop and some travel speakers for entertainment.

The cleaner didn't arrive until relatively late on in the day but she did a very thorough job in just a few minutes so no complaints there.

I didn't have time for breakfast or to use the bar this time around so can't comment on either of those.

So, in summary, it is fine for a basic business/leisure hotel with friendly attentive staff and really well located for getting to CERN. However, if you are looking to spend a reasonable part of the day in the hotel then I would consider some of the other local options.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Samuel K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you very much for your constructiv feedback which will help to improve our services in the future. We recommand to use our free shuttle bus and discover a varity of food outlets at the airport during your next visit in Geneva.
Kind regards
Sam Koenig, GM

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked this hotel due to the fact that (whilst living only 20 minutes away in Lausanne) we had booked tickets to see the Cirque du Soleil at the Geneva Arena (situated right next to the departure terminal) and we were flying to London at 9 am the next morning, therefore for comfort, it was easier to stay over than go back and forth to our house.

First and foremost, we picked this hotel due to the fact that it is still in Switzerland (many of the cheaper airport hotels are actually just across the border in France) and for it's closeness to the airport and Arena, HOWEVER, despite it being across the road from the airport, there is no practical way of walking to and from the terminal (or Arena), so if you arrive by train, as we had, you must wait for the hotel shuttle at the arrivals terminal each and every time you want to go anywhere (they say it runs very frequently however we waited over 30 minutes at the terminal and saw shuttles for other hotels pass us two or three times over!!! (at least it's free!!))

The rooms are basic and rather 'plasticky', walls as thin as paper, and the breakfast is very German (cold meats and cheese - which no matter how hard I try, I just cannot fathom). Front desk staff are helpful but definitely not polite (unfortunately the way much of Switzerland is).

Useful as a 'pit stop' before a flight but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear RunwayModel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. I sincerely apologize for our shuttle service and food choices did not live up to your standards. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Dhan M

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Arrived at the airport 22.30 walked outside and got immediately onto their shuttle bus. Straight to reception which was staffed by very professional courteous people, provided with information about hotel and given key card. By 22.50 we were in the room, how's that for service! Room more than adequate, beds of a good size and very sound proofed. There is a bar in foyer of the hotel, again very good. The breakfast was very good and lots to choose from, more importantly it was included in my room rate. I most certainly would recommend this hotel and will be staying in it again when passing through Geneva.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ainfrance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
NH Geneva Airport
#5 of 6 in Cointrin
Crowne Plaza Geneva
Crowne Plaza Geneva
#1 of 6 in Cointrin

Been to Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport? Share your experiences!