“I’m sorry I missed this part of the cathedral on my last visit”

Archeological Site at St. Pierre's Cathedral
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Ohio
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“I’m sorry I missed this part of the cathedral on my last visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

As I was planning for things to do on my resent stop-over in Geneva for a day, I can across the Archeological Site at St. Pierre's Cathedral on TA. You have to actually visit to understand the great lengths that have gone into creating this historical experience. The entrance to the site is just to the right of the entrance to the cathedral (which I missed when I visited 3 years ago). Upon going down stairs to enter, you arrive at a reception area where you pay the fee to get in. Temperatures with-in the site seem to very greatly. I wish I had left my coat at the rack provided in the reception area. An audio guide is provided as part of the cost of admission. I did find it odd that I had to ask for the audio guide as it was not automatically offered to me. The other thing you have to pay attention to is the location of the stations associated with each stop on the audio guide. In my mind, the stations are poorly marked. I missed a few of the early ones because the station numbers were marked on the walkway barrier in the shadows below informational signs. Despite my struggles with the audio guide, the exhibit was extremely interesting. Considering you are literally walking through centuries of history, the over-all layout of the site is well organized. I would recommend this visit to anyone who has any interest in things historical.

Visited February 2014

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Reasonably priced with audio guide device provided. If you are interested in history this is definitely worth a visit.

Visited December 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Travelling through History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

A very nice and well maintained Archaeological tour through the history of Geneva. If you are expecting great treasures, art-work , precious metals and stones or things like that, then you will be disappointed. But the Genevese authorities have gone to great lengths to make this into an enjoyable experience. The entry fee is , I guess 8 chf normally and 4 chf for students (they didnt even check my card). Free audio guides are available in many languages. There are audiovisual shows which are very informative. It's never too crowded and the feeling inside ancient alleyways with only an electronic voice for company is delightfully eerie. Overall, a great experience.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Nairit S
Syosset, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is a must see site if you visit Geneva! After visiting the Cathedral above with its austere finishes this amazing archeological go to this site below it and you will really be taken back in time.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank JGNY7100
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Swiss can sell even rocks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

In this museum you can see, how swiss people are good at tourism. The archaeological site is nice, but nothing special in comparison with other archaeological sites(that I've worked on - although I am not an archaeologist, I sometimes help on a. sites as my hobby). You learn about history of geneva and stuff, but what you see are mostly walls and rocks. There are some models and visualisations, but it gets a bit boring after some time. No golden treasure, no bronze, silver, not even ceramic treasure. Nothing special. In some other countriess there would be just a little table saying this is something historical, but here they built a whole museum around it and that is amazing for me. So I would rate the a. site as average, but the museum as a whole, the e-guides, visualizations, documentaries they show you, ... as amazing. They know how to make museums.

Visited September 2013