“"Surprise menu"!!!”
Review of Le Chat Rouge

Le Chat Rouge
Reserve with
Le Chat Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #458 of 1,734 Restaurants in Geneva
Price range: US$21 - US$46
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Mexican food since 1994
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I reserved a table at this restaurant and was not told that the usual menu was suspended for that evening. Only one dish was available - at a grossly inflated price. We insisted to have the usual menu but the request was refused - "the kitchen can only prepare one dish tonight". The other tables had customers that had come previously and also had this unpleasant surprise.

1  Thank F G
There are newer reviews for Le Chat Rouge

Reviewed 26 January 2014

A big selection of dishes that all looked super tasty, plenty of vegetarian options. The service was good and friendly, the place comfortable and felt welcoming, quite small with a relaxed atmosphere, and it felt quite authentic. Good selection of different tequilas and after being adviced by the waitor we had a great one. Also good beer! In all the food was alright, nothing too special but well made and tasty, and the whole setting made it a nice experience and I would defenetly recomend this place and come back myself. It is a little bit of the beaten track but since Geneva is quite small it is still a walkable distance from old town and close to the main station.

1  Thank Frida R
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This seems to be the only Mexican restaurant in the city that offers something close to authentic which makes customers come by default. However because of this the restaurant lacks care and attention to it customers and the food. The soup was really delicious but in the end that was it really. The staff stood around talking to each other as if we were in their living room (although they were friendly). A collection of shoes and sneakers greet you in the hall where the restroom is (none the less was very clean).
My honey's main dish was warm almost cold when served and was a bit bland. The shrimp in my taco was slightly under cooked with cold grated cheese inside. The taco shell was good though. The portions were small.
Then the real kicker was the very expensive price we paid for one starter, one vegetarian dish (usually cheaper), one meat dish, bottle of water and a beer all for a whopping 100chf considering the quality…
Note for the locals: Don't even think that if you order your food online via Smood2you that you will receive fresh out the kitchen. We witnessed the delivery bag sitting on the counter for almost 30 mins before the delivery guy came to pick it up.
All in all I was very disappointed. I guess I will wait until I am back in the States to get real tasty Mexican.

2  Thank Danley1
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

It's the second time that we have eaten at Le Chat Rouge and we were not disappointed. The Margaritas blow your head off and the Mojitos just blow you away ! The food is street Mexican NOT Tex Mex. Fresh veg, tender meat. The staff are friendly. The lighting could use some tweaking as its too bright with the yellow and red colours of Mexico. We will be going back to try the many different dishes on the menu.

1  Thank RMAN2656
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have been at this restaurant several times but have been disappointed each time. The staff was friendly but the food was very average. I love Mexican food but this restaurant is not recommendable. It seems that the entry tapas were frozen. The meat was ok but for the price you would really expect something good. I will definitely not return to this restaurant anymore.

2  Thank nunc23