“Very average, not very Spanish”

Restaurant le Galicia
Ranked #931 of 1,675 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Spanish
London, United Kingdom
“Very average, not very Spanish”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Claims to be a Spanish restaurant, but it's more like a typically down-at-heel Geneva bar with a few tables added in a corner. There's a tapas menu, but don't expect any other Spanish touches, like sherry, for instance. Fairly decent house wine, average food, higher prices than you'd pay anywhere in Spain (but remember this is Geneva).

Visited November 2013

Geneva, Switzerland
“Great calamari”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This a good lunchtime restaurant near the train station. Busy and unpretentious. On Fridays they have paella, and this draws an enthusiastic Spanish speaking crowd. I love the garlicky grilled calamari. It's an enormous serving but worth the effort!

• Visited June 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“I wish it were true...”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I wish this place lived up to the 5-star review I see here. I really do ! I've eaten here on at least 3 different occasions, but each time promise myself not to come back. So what draws me in ? I suppose it's the promise of Spanish tapas in my neighborhood.

There are other things that get my hopes up: the heavy greasy smell in the air, football on tv, spanish-speaking workers at the bar, Estrella on tap. But then I wait and wait and wait. During these times I've always been "served" by a young, South American slug of a waitress who speaks no French. My beer does eventually turn up and so do my tapas, but this ain't Spain. I guess you would expect tapas to be tiny and expensive in Switzerland, but then you'd be rewarded by the care given to their presentation and taste. Well, you lose on all fronts here: small, over-priced and quickly thrown together. The tapas suck here.

I will say that they do a good stuffed calamar here. I had that on my first visit and it is what brought me back.

Again, sitting outside here is a good idea. If you enter, you're going to have to hang your clothes on the line overnight. There really is that much grease in the air. But then you should be prepared to rap on the window to get someone's attention. Or bring your own beer and enjoy...you'll get through a few before anyone notices.

• Visited July 2012