“Value hotel in a 'not family oriented' locality”

Hotel Admiral Geneva
Ranked #77 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in May 2014. When we came, the petit elevator was out of order, which they promised to fix within half hour. We came a few hours later and found it working. Visitors to Geneva must avail of the free local transportation, which is provided through the hotel, by the City. The location is excellent, though the signs to it, can be confusing. Too many arrows on the street, which are of pastel shade and easily missed. Would be careful venturing out after 830 pm in this area. Even the hotel is locked though there is 24x7 open reception to let you in. The breakfast was good, though I would wish for freshly made omlette, instead of the pre made mass that was served. Fresh cut fruits were a delight. There was fan in the room, which provided white noise and some air flow, though not much. There is no air condition, which could make summers uncomfortable, especially, the neighbourhood being noisy in the night and open windows could be an issue. The restaurant nearby are average, and one needs to go further apart to old town to come up quality stuff. Would not mind staying here again, mainly due to the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phantom363
There are newer reviews for Hotel Admiral Geneva

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Budget hotel that is centrally located - close to Geneva train station- 5 mins walk. Not suitable for families as it is located in the red-light district of Geneva. Prostitutes on sidewalks up till early morning of 7 am plus. The room I had is extremely small - but then at their price, don't expect much. Walls are thin. Standing shower with curtains. Nothing else. Pillows are too soft.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CodyKow
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My schedule was delayed by a flight, which resulted in no show in my booking. I sent an email to the hotel and explained to them about my no show was owing to the flight delay and request them to change my booking to next day. However, the requested extra charge 96 CHF for the change.
I considered that it is unreasonable. Indeed, I have paid my booing already. The no show is not absolutely not my fault. I cant understand why the hotel did not allow the concession to me. It is very strict and inconsiderate. Ironically, it is the so-called service of Swiss hotel.
As such, I would never recommend this hotel to my friends and other readers.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
M Jamal B, Manager at Hotel Admiral Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
The reason of your anger is that you want to hold the Admiral Hotel accountable of the delay of your flight! The fault is absolutely not ours! We applied the conditions recognised worldwide in the travel industry!

If you miss a flight, the Airlines Company will not let you take the next flight for free! Especially if you are booked as it is the case with your rate at our property: A promotional prepaid rate on a non refundable, non modifiable basis.

Best regards
Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2014

At first my thoughts were, well this is very handy and reasonable price for Geneva, however after spending a night here I can honestly say I will never be staying here again.
Although the staff did what was needed, there was no friendly chat or enthusiasm.
No bath - just a shower room with sink, toilet separate - which I found a bit off putting, having to open 2 doors to wash your hands after using the toilet?!
As mentioned in previous reviews - this hotel is right next to the red light district, in fact it is next to a sex shop and opposite a rather dodgy looking 'nightclub'.
The room was very small, at the front of the hotel & was so warm we had to open the window (big metal bars on outside, not very attractive or comforting) so we spent all night kept awake by screeching traffic, prostitutes and their 'mates' screaming and shouting at each other - right outside the hotel!!
After a sleepless night we went for breakfast - this is dis-organised to say the least! There was very little room to move between the chairs and tables and all the hot food had gone and was NOT replaced - it seems to be a first come, first served basis so unless you get up and down there at the crack of dawn you are left with whatever scraps are left! We went down quite early, got a small table and went to choose from what was on offer but there were no plates - we asked for some and the lady who was cleaning tables and tidying up had to go and wash 2 plates for us and bring them back! We then had to wait about 10 mins for hot water so we could have a cup of tea! A few people came down after us and there wasn't even enough spare seats for them to sit down and hardly anything except cereal left on the 'buffet'. Overall not a very nice place to stay - I recommend you pay a bit more and stay somewhere nicer!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else - pay a bit more and get some sleep!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eddie072_11
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Location is excellent, close to all attracations and city centre, the receptionist a blond girl which I dont remember the name was great, I just said my surname and handed in my id card and she had everything ready for my check in, including the free transport card.

She gave us a very high room as requested and was very helpful the 2 days we stayed there.

The Portuguese ladies who clean the hotel and serve breakfast were very hard work, and made sure the hotel was very clean at all times.

the breakfast is great but I would advise everyone to come down around 9am, to have the whole buffet, on the first day we went down at 9:50am and many things were missing on the breakfast banquet.

Room Tip: 154 very high, good size and view to the street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel.All the members of the staff are very kind and help full.It is located in a place where very convenient for transport and I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any one who wish to visit Geneva.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We arrived by train and this was a like a 5 - 10 minute walk away. The one big con: we had trouble finding the place with our GPS, which was uncomfortable as we found out the location to be in the red light district! Sex shop right next door with others nearby, prostitutes lining the nearby street, sketchy people hanging around. I recommend arriving before dark and don't go alone! It was a good value for us, just spending the night on the way to the airport, and the breakfast was huge with an excellent selection of food and beverages. I don't know if I'd stay here again because of the neighborhood, especially if I was traveling with kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple