“Average”
Review of Geneva Hostel

and 1 more site!
Geneva Hostel
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Good location close to Lake Geneva & ok breakfast.
Rooms were basic (only bunk beds) & the staff were quite rude / uninterested. We arrived to a huge line & took 30 mins to check in.
Was noisy at night with lockers constantly shutting,wouldn't recommend if you are a light sleeper.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, and found it to be a pleasant hostel. We got in at about midnight, and they were helpful when checking in, but then it turns out we had to make our beds ourselves which proved very difficult as we were in a 6 bed dorm, so this had to be done in darkness as to not to annoy the others. The shower facilities were not the best - there was often a queue in the mornings. The breakfast was good quality, and the decor of the place also aided to our stay here. A good point about this hostel was that there were lockers included in the price of the rooms, and these were big enough to put our bags in, and they seemed very secure.

Room Tip: We got one next to the toilet, so there was quite often a lot of door slamming!
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hi,
I went their on august.
The hostel is very clean and safe.
Staff was very helpfull and kind to us. It is not directly in the centre but very close and they give a free 24 hour ride on public transportation.
Even if it is not the cheapest hostel I had, I would still highky recommend it!

1  Thank ewoody
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here for one night in early August - it was reasonably okay. The breakfast was really good, despite the long line. The internet only works in the lobby. The hostel is clean and spacious, and the bathrooms seem clean. The staff were friendly. It is in a good location, near the railway station and near the lake.
Good for the price it is.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have stayed in this hostel many times over the years. I was very disappointed with my last visit in late June 2013. I arrived and had to wait for ages to be checked in. Staff were swapping shifts and socializing as I waited like a fool. There were not interested in checking me in.
I was put in a room next to the reading room in a part of the hostel I have not stayed in before. There were a number of problems. The essential lamp with shelf had gone in this room so there is nowhere to put your watch, keycard, bottle of water and phone at night! I found this very annoying. On this floor there was one shower to about 20+ beds!!! Unbelievable! There was also only one toilet to 20+ beds. What's going on here? Make sure you are not given a bed in this part of the hostel.
Antisocial behaviour is still allowed with people entering the room either drunk or intent on making noise as others sleep. A security guard patrolling the floors would be a welcome addition.
So the hostel has be revamped but there are numerous problems that management need to address now.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms up near the reading room as you'll be sharing a bathroom and shower with 20+ oth...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I spent 2 nights here in March following a ski vacation in the mountains. On the plus side, it's very clean, inexpensive, and is about a 15min walk to the old town and a couple blocks from the Lake. Really beautiful walking along the lakefront. Or you can take the trolley, which has a stop about 100m from the hostel. Breakfast was fine. Bathrooms were spotless. On the negative, it's thoroughly sterile and institutional-looking. Zero charm. Lots of concrete and bare walls. Very young-skewing demographic. Checkin was a little understaffed and I had to wait in line. Wifi was too weak to reach my room and I had to come downstairs to the common area. I didn't have any issues with noise but I think it was only half-full. Given Geneva's high cost, I'd stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OldPee
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This particular hostel was the second one I stayed in during nearly a week in Geneva, just because the availability changed in my short-notice planning. The property itself is kind of ugly - construction workers and their materials line the floors, and there are only hotels and dinky apartments nearby. Also, a large group of people trying to take care of check-in and paperwork were treated with disregard by the hostel's one employee in the middle of a thursday night. The on-site manager did not arrive to the front "desk" until thirty minutes of waiting had gone by.

However, I had a four-person room to myself at a half-rate and found the location of the hostel sublime. It was just near Lake Geneva and led to a truly gorgeous walk along the lake. The hostel was well air-conditioned and clean, and I felt comfortable in both my room and the multiple lounges around the spacious building. Though my stay was not entirely pleasant, it was an average place to sleep, and worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo