“I won't ever come back” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Cenacle

Le Cenacle
Ranked #85 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Geneva, Switzerland
“I won't ever come back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

I stayed there for 6 weeks while looking for an apartment.
I first stayed a few days in a double Parc room (VERY expensive but there was no other room available). The room was big with a private bathroom/WC. The value did not match the price at all.

Then I moved in a standard room located in the East part of the Cenacle. It was awful!!!! Pictures on their website are totally untrue.
Rooms are cleaned only once every 7-9 days. The floor seemed so dirty thqt I did not took off my shoes afraid of being contaminated by some germs (still I lived in strange places in South America but I've never seen that before)
When I arrived there were 8 spiders in the room and their the webs. I complained to the reception. I was answered that the Cenacle is in a parc with trees so that spiders cannot be avoided. Angry, I replied that woods or not I don't understand why spiderwebs are not removed.

Much too expensive and dirty.
It is noisy. You hear people walking, chatting, singing... and even people in the WC!
It is full of dirty students and strange characters whose stay is subventionned while you pay full price.

No telephone in rooms
Internet access is free but very slow and sometimes out of order

The breakfast is AWFUL. Breakfast is supposed to be from 7am to 9m but by 8am there's nothing left to eat. Everyday you have to beg the employee to have some bread. If you try at 7 am, you also see that there's only some poor bread, jam and egg.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I have somewhat special relations with Le Cenacle. I stayed there twice. First, when I came to Geneva to do my Phd and was looking for an apartment. Again, almost five years later, when I left my apartment there and was finishing last formalities with the university. So, Le Cenacle really frames that period of my life.

In 2003 I stayed in the older (and much cheaper part of the hostel). That part does not feel like a hotel, it looks like a very basic dorm, so do not expect much comfort. I stayed there for about 10 days (2 weeks?) and at times it was rather depressing. The doors and walls are not soundproof, so how quiet it is going to be depends solely on your neighbours (but this is not a place for stag parties, so most nights it was quiet, but not all of them). Breakfast was just very basic -- as far as I remember just bread, jam and butter (once jam was with mold though). Different types of people stay there, there are some 'weird' people who are probably there forever, some visiting students, foreign students on group trips, etc. You feel yourself like in a hostel, people are friendly and happy to chat (which is nice if you stay here for a period of time and do not know anyone in town) . It was clean enough, though dust bins and bed sheets were not changed frequently. The park around the place is rather nice and actually I liked the location (it is not very central, but not that far). And it was cheap. Now, in 2008 I stayed in the restored "villa' part (left from reception and upstairs). It was whole different experience. Beautiful building, view to the park, you really feel like you are leaving in a villa. It was quet, comfortable and nice. Even though the breakfast was exactly like before (but no mold this time) I would certainly recommend it. We (that stay was with my spouse) really enjoyed that stay (was it 4 days?). And the price for these villa rooms is also quite reasonable. If I am going to be in Geneva again, I will probably stay here again. My ratings above reflect both stays.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ivt
geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

my parents always stay here when they come to visit me in Geneva. They stay in one of the refurbished rooms in the old Villa, with private bathroom. (Other rooms have shared bathrooms). The price you will pay here is very rare for Geneva and the hotel is very well positioned and has a bus stop in front of the hotel that will take you in 5 minutes to city center!
I think this is a very good option if you are not looking for a fancy hotel, but only a clean room in a very good location!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
eurotraveler2233
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

The rooms here are moldy. The staff is beyond rude, especially Marie. The breakfast is never kept up. It was always noisy with church people singing and waking everyone up. Yet they had terribly rude signs everywhere telling everyone else to be quiet. SO RUDE! I have never experienced such an awful staff anywhere, and not just hotels. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank eurotraveler2233

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels