“I didn't imagine simple food could be done this poorly...and in Switzerland too!”

Backerei Konditorei Stockli
Ranked #14 of 52 Restaurants in Engelberg
Cuisines: Swiss
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We were served lukewarm soup which tasted just like watery packet soup, graced with a smear of cream. We asked them to reheat it and it came back exactly the same way. So, we gave up and ate soup that was cool on an icy day.

It wasn't cheap either.

The coffee was only just passable for flavor and temperature.

The staff were all engaged in their chitchat with each other and friends and we felt rather neglected and foolish for even trying the place.

I had the opportunity to go back and of course I didn't...and I won't for the restaurant, but I might buy a cake (they looked quite good) to take away once I get over this bad experience.

It's a bright and airy modern looking place so I can understand this cafe's allure but it's time for them to get serious about their food and service in the restaurant.

Disappointing. :(

• Visited January 2012
4 Thank silkroadworker

Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A delightful experience”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

When we checked in at the Ramada Hotel Regina in Engelberg at 2pm we were told that there was nowhere open in town for lunch apart from their hotel restaurant. However, this was not true as a short distance away was the Stockli Cafe which is open from 7am to 6pm. It is a bakery but also serves a good range of affordable healthy lunches including salad rolls etc. The cafe is very new, modern and clean and has table service with decent toilet facilities downstairs. The waitress was very welcoming and friendly towards us Australians which was a relief as this had not been our experience in other places in Switzerland. They served great apple strudel and the coffee was also good. The breads and cakes in the display cabinet looked delicious and fresh, so worth a visit if you are in Engelberg and feeling peckish.

• Visited August 2011